Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

No Start 98 2.4 Breeze, No Spark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 HemiDart28 (converted)

HemiDart28 (converted)
  • Guests

Posted September 1, 2005 at 09:22 pm

Hey everybody, I'm new here. I have a 98 breeze, 2.4 l, I bought the car from one of my customers, it had a blown timing belt, being an interference engine they decided to get a new car instead of paying for labor to see if there were bent valves or not, so I put a timing belt on, checked timing marks several times to be sure, then when I went to start it up- no spark, after several tests, I found that the crank and cam sensors are functioning properly, the asd relay switches, the only thing that doesn't check out including the coil pack being good; the negative sides of the coil don't switch, but this system runs a power side switching circuit which mean that the neg. sides will be permanently grounded through the pcm, but still no spark. I have no codes, nor do I have a scanner to check history codes at the time. Any help on this would be great. Thanks

#2 SpecialK

SpecialK

This space intentionally left blank.....

• Inactive
  • 1,887 posts

Posted September 1, 2005 at 10:46 pm

Hey everybody, I'm new here.  I have a 98 breeze, 2.4 l, I bought the car from one of my customers, it had a blown timing belt, being an interference engine they decided to get a new car instead  of paying for labor to see if there were bent valves or not, so I put a timing belt on, checked timing marks several times to be sure, then when I went to start it up- no spark, after several tests, I found that the crank and cam sensors are functioning properly, the asd relay switches, the only thing that doesn't check out including the coil pack being good; the negative sides of the coil don't switch, but this system runs a power side switching circuit which mean that the neg. sides will be permanently grounded through the pcm, but still no spark.  I have no codes, nor do I have a scanner to check history codes at the time.  Any help on this would be great.  Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, 2.4L engines are NOT interference engines. There should be no damage to the valves. With that said, I bet it is the crank sensor. They have been known to fail without throwing a code. But I wouldn't rule out the coil either, those are a common failure too.

Sounds like you pretty much stole the thing. They should've paid you to put the new belt on and see what happened........

BTW, where did the mis-information about the 2.4 being an interference engine come from anyway? Or was it just assumed because it is a DOHC?

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.