cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

1998 Dodge Caravan 2.4 Timing Belt Broke

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ulterior (converted)

Ulterior (converted)
  • Guests

Posted February 23, 2006 at 02:39 pm

Hi,

The timing belt on my 1998 Dodge Caravan with the 2.4 liter DOHC broke while trying to jump start it.
I have gotten conflicting info as to whether this is a non-interference fit engine. Anyhow I used a Chilton manual with a crummy diagram and replaced the belt. I'm not sure if I got the timing marks right Both of the cam sprockets say this side UP, but the timing mark on the exhaust side position that sprocket down.

Any link to a good online photo of the cam sprockets in the correct position? Also,what needs to be done to reprogram the computer after replacing the belt? Looking for the correct answer as to interference or non-interference. How should I proceed? I cranked it and it seems like weak compression now and no spark.

thanks

#2 t2erns

t2erns
  • 1,416 posts

Posted February 23, 2006 at 04:53 pm

here is a link; (just wait for the page to load and disregard the current vehicle listed)
no need to reprogram pcm after t-belt replacement

http://www.autozone....23d801a3ccc.jsp

Edited by t2erns, February 23, 2006 at 04:57 pm.

#3 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,637 posts

Posted February 23, 2006 at 04:56 pm

Upside, 2.4 is a NON-INTERFERENCE engine.

Downside, getting the cams to line up right does take a bit of time.

#4 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,650 posts

Posted February 23, 2006 at 06:55 pm

Upside, 2.4 is a NON-INTERFERENCE engine.

Downside, getting the cams to line up right does take a bit of time.

Beginning in 2001, the 2.4 is listed as interference, so a 98 should be OK. The belt change interval is 120,000 miles per Gates. What was the mileage on yours when it broke?

Water pump is driven by the timing belt, so you might want to change it too if it is original.

#5 Ulterior (converted)

Ulterior (converted)
  • Guests

Posted February 23, 2006 at 07:00 pm

here is a link; (just wait for the page to load and disregard the current vehicle listed)
no need to reprogram pcm after t-belt replacement

http://www.autozone....23d801a3ccc.jsp

Thanks for the replies. i found the Autozone link after I posted. It is a good one. Wish I had seen it before I put it all back together with the exhaust cam off by 180 degrees. Chiltons diagram isn't clear. Oh well, time to redo it. At least I know from experience that the harmonic balancer covers the end of the crankshaft. Once I discovered that I used the crank bolt head loosened a few turns as the "footing" for my pulley puller. I did it in stages and backed the bolt out several times slackening then tightening the puller.

Beginning in 2001, the 2.4 is listed as interference, so a 98 should be OK. The belt change interval is 120,000 miles per Gates. What was the mileage on yours when it broke?

Water pump is driven by the timing belt, so you might want to change it too if it is original.

Thanks John,

122k on the belt. It broke while trying to jump start a dead battery. As I mentioned numerous conflicting references as to interference or non. I guess I will find out when I take it apart again to get the cam timing right.

Great forum here. Thanks again for all the helpful replies

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.