Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

2001 Grand Caravan Sport No Front Passenger Heat

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Broccoli (converted)

Broccoli (converted)
  • Guests

Posted February 27, 2006 at 12:43 pm

We just bought a 2001 Grand Caravan Sport a few days ago and the front passenger heat is not working. This is my first Dodge minivan, so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious. This van has dual temperature controls for the front (one slider underneath the other) and I get good heat out of the driver's side vents, but the passenger vents always blow cold air regardless of the temperature selector position. I'm in Alaska and it was +2 F this morning - so obviously I'm pretty motivated to get this fixed ASAP! I've ordered a Haynes manual for the van, but it will be a few (cold!) days before it gets here. Any likely suspects or clues where to start?

From the ease of movement in the temperature controls, I presume they are either electrical or vacuum vs. mechanical and based on a lack of vacuum sounds when moving the controls I'm guessing electrical. Are the vent flaps vacuum or electrical? How do you get access to the mechanism to troubleshoot? Scanning the forum I ran accross http://www.allpar.co...es-climate.html and I'll start with that the next time I get in the van. I've topped off the cooling system, and the drivers side is putting out heat so unless this thing has some kind of bifurcated heater core, that portion of the system should be good. The fan also blows fine so I am hoping the problem is just a disconnected or bad actuator on a duct door somewhere but without the Haynes I don't know where to start looking.

Thanks!

#2 danomite

danomite
  • Inactive
  • 189 posts

Posted February 27, 2006 at 01:20 pm

Use the search feature: "resistor"

#3 Broccoli (converted)

Broccoli (converted)
  • Guests

Posted February 27, 2006 at 01:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. Unless I am missing something, the resistor posts have to due with the fan not working in some or all positions. My fan seems to work great, the problem is that the fan is blowing frigid air through the vents on the passenger side even when the passenger temperature control is all the way to the right (full warm).

#4 Beans

Beans
  • 1,064 posts

Posted February 27, 2006 at 09:21 pm

ALL the controls are electronic. There are no cables and there are no tubes.

There are a number of doors that open and close in that HVAC system - you can probably hear them when you change from defrost to heat and the like.
There are two particular doors that come to mind here
In my '97, there is a passenger zone blend door and a driver's zone blend door (they are controlled individually - I don't know why or exactly how)
Obviously you passenger zone blend door actuator isn't actuating.

The first thing I would try is recalibrating the system.
there are a number of parts of the system that can be tested\acalibrated in different button pushing fomulas.

One that I have used, that I know opens and closes those doors during its calibrations is below.
It takes it a while to complete so be patient

Do it with the parking brake on
It may take three tries or so.

1] start engine
2] slide AC controls to the left
3] set vent to vent-face
4] fan control to full -high
5] Press AC (snowflake) Button and Rear Washer Button At The Same Time (Both Together)
6] Hold until All Lights Illuminate Together
7] Release AC & Rear Washer Buttons
8] Unit will Cycle for a few minutes (seams like a lot longer)
9] When done - lights will stop flashing.

If its still too cold on the passenger side, let us know - someone smarter than me will probably kick in by then.
Meanwhile, I'll take a look to see if there is anything electrical like fuses or connectors that apply
Good luck,
beans

#5 Broccoli (converted)

Broccoli (converted)
  • Guests

Posted February 27, 2006 at 09:27 pm

Thanks Beans!

I'll give the calibration bit a try while I'm waiting for the car to warm up tomorrow morning. I'll probably go ahead and subscribe to alldata to get into the troubleshooting decision trees and diagrams for my particular year / model.

#6 AllanC

AllanC
  • 2,315 posts

Posted February 27, 2006 at 11:29 pm

5] Press AC (snowflake) Button and Rear Washer Button At The Same Time (Both Together)

Using these buttons will invoke the AC system cool down test. Depending where you are located and if the ambient temperature around the vehicle is 50 deg F or less, this test will fail. To calibrate the servo motors in the ventilation system, press and hold the WASH and REAR WIPER button instead those mentioned in steps (5) and (7).

#7 Beans

Beans
  • 1,064 posts

Posted February 27, 2006 at 11:41 pm

See Brocolli,
I told you. Someone smarter than me wouldl kick in sooner or later.
I hope what I told you to do doesn't leave you with a pair of flashing lights.

DEFINITELY follow Allen C's advise on using the Wash and Rear Wiper Buttons!
beans

#8 Broccoli (converted)

Broccoli (converted)
  • Guests

Posted February 28, 2006 at 12:55 am

WooHoo!!

Thanks guys, I'm in Anchorage Alaska and the van is parked outside - something tells me it might be just a bit below 50F tomorrow morning (it was +2F this morning). I'll definately be following AllanC's instructions :)

#9 Broccoli (converted)

Broccoli (converted)
  • Guests

Posted February 28, 2006 at 03:16 pm

So it turns out that on my 2001 Grand Caravan Sport, the heater-NC control calibration procedure is a bit different (from Alldata):

a. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

b. Simultaneously depress and hold the Power and Recirculation buttons on the heater-A/C control for at least five seconds. The manual heater-A/C control Delay Light Emitting Diode (LED) and Recirculation LED, or the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) heater-A/C control Delay and Recirculation graphics will begin to flash when the calibration procedure has begun.

c. The calibration procedure should take less than three minutes to complete for the manual system, and less than twenty seconds for the ATC system. When the LED's or graphics stop flashing, the calibration procedure is complete.

d. If the LED's or graphics continue to flash beyond the time stated above, it indicates that the heater-A/C control system has detected a failure and a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set. Use the DRBIII® scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information for further diagnosis.

I'll find out on the way home whether this fixed things or not. I'm hopeful because I know that vehicle had been stored for months before we bought it and the battery was flad dead - which is one reason the system might need to be recallibrated.

If the recalibration doesn't fix it, Alldata also shows Technical Service Bulletin no. 24-006-01 (Blend Door - No Heat To Right Front Side) which exactly describes the problem I am having and it looks like an easy fix (0.4 hr estimate). I've been working on my own vehicles for over 20 years now, but this is the first time I've used Alldata and I am really impressed with the detail and specificity of their information.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.