Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

Sensor Re-learn Magnet (special Tool 8821)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Egoman (converted)

Egoman (converted)
  • Guests

Posted May 6, 2006 at 10:14 am

My wife has a 2002 Chry 300M (recently bought used from a Chrysler dealer) with the tire pressure monitor system in it. The system needs to be retrained with "Special Tool 8821" as the readings do not reflect the correct tire location. This tool was not in the spare tire well like it was supposed to be, and the dealer has been "problematic" with resolving this problem, only suggesting that they *might* be able to sell her a new one if it's available.

Does anyone know a work-around for this tool? WIll any magnet do the trick, or is it a "special" magnet? I have been hesitant to try on my own for fear of messing up the sensors. Any input from anyone in the know is appreciated.

#2 Egoman (converted)

Egoman (converted)
  • Guests

Posted May 6, 2006 at 12:46 pm

Well, I answered my own question and since I asked, I figured I'd share my results. When I got sick of hearing about how "you said you could find out" I started trying magnets. What I learned was that *any* magnet will do as long as it is strong enough to activate the sensor. The magnet on the back of an old door speaker worked great.

I probably should have tried before posting, but now everyone knows :)

#3 al sullivan

al sullivan
  • 1,662 posts

Posted May 7, 2006 at 04:47 pm

the tool cost less tha $20.00.
what works best is a magnet out of a mopar trans pan with the whole in the center.
these are usually found in shops stuck to the parts washer(trust me on that!!l)(lol)
i'd expect any trans shop to be able to supply one to you.

Sully

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated car-related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2014 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.