cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Trouble Code P1684

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 98gcawd

98gcawd
  • 200 posts

Posted May 7, 2006 at 11:58 pm

The other day the malfunction light came on in the 01 Stratus. It just stays on, doesn't flash. I did the key ON/OFF ON/OFF ON and get code P1684. My Haynes manual lists a P1682, charging system voltage indicates low output, but no P1684 - of course! The car runs fine - no problems. Someone got the factory shop manual and can clue me in on the code? The car has the original battery - maybe its on the way out although it starts just fine.

Thanks for any help

#2 howard33x

howard33x
  • 169 posts

Posted May 8, 2006 at 05:58 pm

From another site (http://www.alldata.c.../20021025b.html):

Q: I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid and the emission light came on. I have two P codes that showed up when I turned the ignition three times P0442 and P1684. I called the dealer and they said they would have to run it on the computer and get the codes. Is this true because I have the codes? If it is not true could you tell me what the codes mean, or what I should do in this situation. I don't want to pay for a diagnostic tests if it is unnecessary.

- Jamie

A: Pretty impressive information for just key cycling for codes. The code P1684 is real easy. The computer is stating that the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts. the other code P0442 is a challenge. This code means that the computer has detected an evaporative leak of medium size of about .040 but no bigger than .080 of an inch. The most common cause for this code is a loose gas cap. If the gas cap is tight then it just may be that the gas cap is bad/defective and not sealing properly. Until the problem is found no matter how many times you disconnect the battery (code P1684) to clear the computer the check engine light will turn back on for code P1684.

#3 98gcawd

98gcawd
  • 200 posts

Posted May 8, 2006 at 06:43 pm

Thanks for the reply howard33x,

I thought it was sumptin like that, except that the battery hasn't been disconnected. Might be getting about time to replace the original. From what I understand, I'll need a code scan tool to erase the code and @#%$ dash light!

#4 94Dakota

94Dakota
  • Inactive
  • 14 posts

Posted May 21, 2006 at 10:05 am

According to the software that came with my scan tool:
2000 Intrepid, code 1684 says battery disconnected in last 50 starts
2001 Stratus, code 1684 says "Manufacturer Control Auxiliary Inputs/Auxiliary Outputs" whatever that means...

Good luck

According to the software that came with my scan tool:
2000 Intrepid, code 1684 says battery disconnected in last 50 starts
2001 Stratus, code 1684 says "Manufacturer Control Auxiliary Inputs/Auxiliary Outputs" whatever that means...

Good luck

Actually, the difference is not between the cars, but the year. 2000 stratus uses this code for battery as well, and a 2001 intrepid uses it for Aux Inputs.Outputs.

#5 juma1998

juma1998

Moparaholic

• 2,429 posts

Posted June 4, 2006 at 05:25 pm

Thanks for the reply howard33x,

I thought it was sumptin like that, except that the battery hasn't been disconnected. Might be getting about time to replace the original. From what I understand, I'll need a code scan tool to erase the code and @#%$ dash light!

Go to Autozone or Advance Auto they have scanners. And will let u PERSONALLY delete the codes - as they cant delete the codes anymore themselves. I was told they were blowing up Computers cause ppl kept coming in and having them delete codes. Sounds fishy but U can definately have them let u delete it.

#6 Tek286

Tek286
  • Inactive
  • 305 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 08:18 pm

Error code P0442 = Click Here:>P0400 to P0485
Error code P1684 = Click here:>P1600 to P1699

Edited by Tek286, June 12, 2006 at 08:23 pm.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.