cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Durango/Dak Exhaust Manifold On A Duster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 DUSTRBD

DUSTRBD
  • Inactive
  • 962 posts

Posted June 9, 2006 at 04:13 pm

I have seen a little bit of info. on putting 1999-2002 Durango/Dakota V8 exhaust manifolds on A-bodies, but they all seem to be early model A-bodies. Has anyone put any on a 72-73-74 Duster? My car has power steering and I am wondering about the clearances there, and also at the firewall area on the passenger side where the exhaust dump is. Other than that, from the pics I have seen of the manifolds the look like they would fit.

I have a pretty good source for the exhaust mainfolds, so I was wondering.

-DUSTRBD

#2 thrashard340

thrashard340
  • Inactive
  • 149 posts

Posted June 9, 2006 at 04:33 pm

Check out this thread
http://www.allpar.co...showtopic=78165

then again...check this one out
http://www.geocities...st/durango.html

Forgot to mention this website...its pretty useful for A-Bodies

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/

#3 dartley

dartley
  • 620 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 09:48 am

About the Links - thanks for posting them. Personally, I surmise that if headers are a pain for 15 HP, then these are even more of a pain for what - 5 HP. I don't see any real viable options other than stock cast iron or TTIs of you car is a street machine. Don't forget, these cars are fast becoming more valuable now that the B and E bodies are out of sight. What seemed expensive a couple of years ago for a Duster is now not so much. For a race car, cheaper headers are probably the way to go. My 2 cents.

#4 Bearhawke

Bearhawke

Things happen for a reason

• Others:Forum Leader
  • 12,859 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 02:30 pm

About the Links - thanks for posting them. Personally, I surmise that if headers are a pain for 15 HP, then these are even more of a pain for what - 5 HP. I don't see any real viable options other than stock cast iron or TTIs of you car is a street machine. Don't forget, these cars are fast becoming more valuable now that the B and E bodies are out of sight. What seemed expensive a couple of years ago for a Duster is now not so much. For a race car, cheaper headers are probably the way to go. My 2 cents.

Our 'cavemanmoron' (Lee) has commented on the doubtfulness of headers as well on a street vehicle with a full muffled exhaust.

Yet; running a dual exhaust system with at least 2 1/4" pipes or a single setup of about 3" in diameter does help significantly..........again on a fully muffled street driver.:)

#5 cavemanmoron

cavemanmoron
  • Inactive
  • 1,286 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 02:51 pm

My opinion,
If your going to street drive the car,
and the engine realistically, has 350 hp or less,
I suggest use the stock manifolds,with Dual exhaust, and the mufflers you prefer.

I have added dual exhaust to 318 equipped Mopars since 1977,
and normally used "Turbo" mufflers.

I can say the dual exhaust ;Will help the engine to breath, much better.

I put a 340 together,with a hotter than stock cam,
and put the engine into a 73,or 74 Duster, about 10 years ago.

I reused the stock 318 exhaust manifolds, with the local Midas putting
a nice dual exhaust on the car for me.

It started at the stock size of the manifold, and went to 2 1/4",
and then thru Turbo mufflers, and out the rear.

The car would light the tires up at will, and I had 235/60/r14 Comp TA's that wore out
in about 4,000 miles. I think headers may have been worth 10 hp or so.

My current toy, is setup a bout the same, but with the 318 engine.

Duals off the stock manifolds, necked up to 2 1/4",
using Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.

My Girlfriend said I had made the car too noisy,
so I added some sound deadner under the rear seat, some of the rug, package tray etc,
and that helped Very much. I strongly suggest this to quiet the car down, inside.

Posted Image

Our 'cavemanmoron' (Lee) has commented on the doubtfulness of headers as well on a street vehicle with a full muffled exhaust.

Yet; running a dual exhaust system with at least 2 1/4" pipes or a single setup of about 3" in diameter does help significantly..........again on a fully muffled street driver.:)

Posted Image

#6 DUSTRBD

DUSTRBD
  • Inactive
  • 962 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 03:43 pm

thanks for the responses and the links, I have read those, and they didnt really answer my intitial question, except for maybe Bearhawke. Do they fit a later model A-body duster. I know they will fit the early bodied ones with some work, unless I missed something, I didnt see anything about the later bodies except for that they may not clear the firewall. I for one dont want headers on this car. I dont need the headache.

-DUSTRBD

#7 Hersbird

Hersbird
  • 207 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 10:01 pm

The "magnum" style exhaust manifolds are probably the best cast manifolds made for the LA. I remember when I bought my 93 5.2 Dakota new and had to wait 2 years before any header company could come up with something that significantly added power, they were the Doug Thorley tri-Y's. Still I really believe that headers will add good power over the cast manifolds. You do have to have to add everything as a system as some parts really don't help much alone. That said if you add a bigger cam, a better intake, and skip the headers you will really be limited on the gains from the other two. Also adding just headers to a stock cam, 2 barrel 318 isn't going to gain much either. The rest of the exhaust can be a good stand alone gain. My 318 Barracuda is currently running through what looks like a single 2 or 2 1/4" inch pipe that is dented some on top of that! It snaps off the line really hard for a stock motor but quickly runs out of breath. It even rumbles a bit at idle through the super turbo muffler but as soon as it revs a bit it gets really quite with all the restriction. I need some new pipes bad!

As to the question to if the newer manifolds fit a Duster I'd have to think so. They certainly are much more compact then headers and a Duster looks to have the same or better room in the finderwells then the older A-bodies.

#8 96neon

96neon
  • Inactive
  • 165 posts

Posted June 16, 2006 at 12:48 pm

I ran a set of 92 Dodge truck "Magnum" manifolds on my 73 Scamp for several years, the passenger side one is no problem. the drivers side manifold will not clear a power steering box, so you need to put in a manual box for it to fit, there will be a slight interference with the steering coupler, so you may have to grind a small notch out of the manifold with a grinder,don't get too caried away, only 3/16 or so. this is a good swap, good flow & quiet. However I put on a set of headers later on, and made a very noticable increase in power over the manifolds. my engine is pretty modified, so a near stock engine might not notice as large a gain with the headers, hope this helps.

#9 DUSTRBD

DUSTRBD
  • Inactive
  • 962 posts

Posted June 19, 2006 at 02:55 pm

THAT! is the info I was looking for.....Thanks!
My engine is probably close to yours maybe a little less.
I just really dont want to deal with headers at this point. the car is/will be more show than go.
But the info. is what I was looking for.

-DUSTRBD

#10 Dakota5.2

Dakota5.2
  • Inactive
  • 111 posts

Posted June 20, 2006 at 02:36 pm

96 Neon ... how hard was it get to the spark plugs with the 92 ... 93 manifolds vs headers

#11 96neon

96neon
  • Inactive
  • 165 posts

Posted June 21, 2006 at 01:14 pm

the two most rearward on the drivers side were quite a bit easier, the rest about the same as headers.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.