cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Sure-grip

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 barracuda

barracuda
  • Inactive
  • 160 posts

Posted June 10, 2006 at 07:21 am

What type of oil should I be useing?
I can only find oil thats made for limited slip.

#2 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,840 posts

Posted June 10, 2006 at 07:47 am

Sure Grip is limited slip. Posi Traction in GM speak.

#3 barracuda

barracuda
  • Inactive
  • 160 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 01:09 pm

Are you saying a car with a single traction rear-end takes the same oil as a positive traction, sure grip, rear-end?
I thought limited slip was a single power wheel.

Edited by barracuda, June 12, 2006 at 01:11 pm.

#4 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,840 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 01:32 pm

No, that's not what I said. I thought you were asking for limited slip oil. You can use that in an open axle, but don't need to. Something like an 80W-140 GL4 or GL5 lube would be fine for your car. One thing to be aware of, you've probably got a 7-1/4" axle and those aren't exactly the strongest axle ever made. I've seen them come apart behind 225 automatics..

#5 plypete

plypete
  • Inactive
  • 233 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 01:41 pm

Sure-grip, limited slip, and posi-traction are Mopar, Ford and GM respectively. They all are designed to transmit drive to both rear wheels instead of just one. I don't know much about GM, but 80W90 gear oil is most common for rear ends, but the Sure-grip and limited slip both require a small (4 oz. I think) bottle of friction modifier. It smells awful (like rotten eggs). GM may need something as well. If you don't use it you will get a chatter or grinding when you turn corners. It should be redily available at any Mopar parts house. I don't know if the aftermarket has it.

On second thought, I am unsure if the 8 3/4, which I am guessing you have, needs the friction modifier. The 9 3/4 and 10 1/2 rears do.

Edited by plypete, June 12, 2006 at 02:00 pm.

#6 dartley

dartley
  • 620 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 02:05 pm

Sure-grip, limited slip, and posi-traction are Mopar, Ford and GM respectively. They all are designed to transmit drive to both rear wheels instead of just one. I don't know much about GM, but 80W90 gear oil is most common for rear ends, but the Sure-grip and limited slip both require a small (4 oz. I think) bottle of friction modifier. It smells awful (like rotten eggs). GM may need something as well. If you don't use it you will get a chatter or grinding when you turn corners. It should be redily available at any Mopar parts house. I don't know if the aftermarket has it.
On second thought, I am unsure if the 8 3/4, which I am guessing you have, needs the friction modifier. The 9 3/4 and 10 1/2 rears do.

Interesting you should mention that. I am currently having a problem with my 8.75 sure-grip rear, and I am in the midst of tying to diag it. In the process I have looked through both my 1973 and 1974 Plymouth and Dodge shop manuals - they both say the same thing on this subject, as far as I can tell; and neither manual mentions any additive. They both state that the sure-gip 8.75 uses the same part number 90w gear oil as the open rears. Don't see any difference. Now I know that things change and that now they might know better, but there must be an awful lot of Mopars that ran a long time on the straight 90w. No?

#7 Cudapete

Cudapete
  • 3,939 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 04:01 pm

All Chrysler sure grips always required an additive.

#8 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,840 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 04:13 pm

All limited slips require an additive.

It's extremely unlikely that a 273 A body has an 8-3/4 axle.

#9 Volunteer

Volunteer
  • 2,418 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 05:05 pm

It's about time for 'Lee' to put his (often appreciated) 'two-cents' worth in.
I was under the impression that most of the ('64 to '69) 273 B'cudas came with the 8.75" rear. At least all the ones I've seen had them.
'Sure-Grip' is a registered name Mopar used for the 'limited-slip' (cone-clutch type) Auburn rear ends. The truck version was labeled 'Anti-Spin'. The pre-'69 PLATE CLUTCH (four-pinion) units were labeled 'Power-Lok'.
Ford commonly used the term 'Traction-Lock' and G.M. called - - - - well, who cares, right?
Anyway, as has been stated, the BEST lube you can buy can be used in ALL Mopar rears from the Limited-Slip versions to the cheaper 'open-style'.
The Mopar LIMITED SLIP ADDITIVE (Friction-Modifier) is highly recommended for everything from the 7.25" to the Dana 70 (as far as street vehicles go). The (4 oz.) bottle has P/N 04318060AB and costs about $6. It NO longer smells 'vile' and is equally effective in GM and Ford units (as is the competitors' in Mopars).

#10 barracuda

barracuda
  • Inactive
  • 160 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 05:13 pm

My rear axle is a 7 1/4 but it does have a factory sure-grip unit in it.
I'm changeing my ratio from 292 to 323 and I need to replace the oil with the proper stuff.
Thanks, I guess I'm looking to find some additive.
I tried the dealer, but the young guy behind the counter didn't have a clue.

#11 Volunteer

Volunteer
  • 2,418 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 05:15 pm

I have seen the GM 'stuff' on many auto parts store-shelves. (Delco)

#12 timcasbolt

timcasbolt
  • Inactive
  • 148 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 08:00 pm

You can purchase limited slip additive at most auto parts stores, as well as catalog stores such as Summit or Jeg's, and add it to most any type or brand of gear oil. There are also numerous brands of gear oil with the additive already included. They all work. One word of caution: Sometimes synthetics are so slippery that you lose the limited-slip function. Had it happen on a 9" Ford a few years ago. Thought we wasted our new clutches. Turns out all we had to do was switch back to the old-fashioned stuff with the additive.

#13 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,840 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 08:34 pm

Slippery synthetics also affect synchronizers in transmissions. When I was working for Lubrication Engineers the company sales manager had the gear oil in a new BMW replaced with an LE synthetic and the transmission instantly became non synchro. Had to change back to original oil.

#14 Cudapete

Cudapete
  • 3,939 posts

Posted June 12, 2006 at 10:37 pm

My friend's 66 Formula S has the 7.25 w/2.91 gears. My 67 Dart GT had the 273 2V and it had the 7.25 w/3.23 gears. Both were automatics. All the 273, 4V, 4-spd cars I've seen had the 8.75.

#15 barracuda

barracuda
  • Inactive
  • 160 posts

Posted June 14, 2006 at 04:42 pm

Went back to the Chrysler dealer and spoke to the parts manager this time.
He had the oil and additive on the shelf, cheaper then aftermarket stuff.
:)

#16 dartley

dartley
  • 620 posts

Posted June 15, 2006 at 11:27 am

All limited slips require an additive.

I checked the service manual and did not read anything about an additive. Could that be because of what timcasbolt mentioned - about the additive already being in the oil?

I purchaced Castrol 80w90 Gear oil ... I will go back and read what it says on it.

~Bill

#17 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,840 posts

Posted June 15, 2006 at 01:20 pm

Use the additive.

#18 dartley

dartley
  • 620 posts

Posted June 16, 2006 at 11:57 am

I copied the pt#, thanks folks.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.