cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

Anti-siphoning Check Ball Thingie In Gas Tank / Filler Tube

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 XX29J9 (converted)

XX29J9 (converted)
  • Guests

Posted July 20, 2006 at 11:43 pm

I understand that most new vehicles have this device, but did the 1993 minivans have it? Also, have any of you been able to siphon gas from a 1993?

#2 chet42

chet42
  • Inactive
  • 613 posts

Posted July 21, 2006 at 12:45 am

Yes the 93's have this device, it wasnt until i had to replace my fuel pump that i realized what it was.

Chet.

#3 95Spirit

95Spirit

PT Cruisin'

• Inactive
  • 6,811 posts

Posted July 21, 2006 at 06:18 am

Yep, I ran in to the same thing on my 94. At first I thought,

what the heck? A green ball in the filler tube? Ah. Check valve.

#4 Road Warrior

Road Warrior
  • Inactive
  • 406 posts

Posted July 21, 2006 at 09:06 am

I don't see the point of those myself, you can roll underneath, slice through a rubber hose, or pull a clamp off, and get gas out that way if you're criminally inclined. Just moves the problem somewhere else, where your vehicle will get damaged by someone who doesn't care.

#5 jstew314

jstew314
  • 1,411 posts

Posted July 21, 2006 at 08:57 pm

I thought the purpose of this check valve was to prevent fuel leakage in the event of a rollover, not to prevent theft by siphoning. If we get very high fuel prices, then we can certainly expect that some thieves will cut the filler hose or puncture the tank if necessary to get fuel.

Edited by jstew314, July 21, 2006 at 08:58 pm.

#6 peterjon1

peterjon1
  • 803 posts

Posted July 21, 2006 at 09:17 pm

It is a check valve for rollover protection. My S-10 filler tube rusted through, so I went to Chevy dealer for a new one. They wanted $300 for a new one. Parts guy said "No wonder we don't stock these." $20 at boneyard for a rust free one. The whole tube is maybe 30 inches long.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.