cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

98 Intrepid 2.7 "To rebuild or not to rebuild a 2.7", that i

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 ChuckCastiglione

ChuckCastiglione
  • 29 posts

Posted February 12, 2007 at 01:00 pm

Help!

My 98 Intrepid with the infamouse 2.7 V6 quit a few months back. I pulled the motor and found that a rod bearing had spun. The motor had 100k miles before it began knocking. The car is in beautiful shape except for the motor. There was no sign of major sludge anywhere in the motor. I decided to rebuild and purchased all of the parts including crank kit, pistons, connecting rods, timing kit, oil pump, etc. Here is my question. Is there anything that I can do to a 1998 block or heads or whatever to help the oiling problems. I have my own machine shop and can do just about any work that one could imagine. All comment's are welcome, even negative ones.

Chuck :unsure:

#2 valiant67

valiant67

Rich, Corinthian Leather

• Supporters III
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 22,450 posts

Posted February 12, 2007 at 01:04 pm

If it were my car, I'd consider one of the kits to swap a 3.2 into it rather than rebuild the 2.7.

#3 Brian D

Brian D
  • 101 posts

Posted February 12, 2007 at 04:55 pm

I have a 2001 Intrepid with the 2.7 that I purchased new. I had been running regular 10W-40 oil to about 80K then switched to synthetic blend. The transmission went out of it at around 108K so I pulled the motor and trans together. I opened up the engine and found it to be sludge free with just one main bearing to be a little suspect and all the rod bearings looked good. I replaced them all anyway along with the timing chain and tensioners and then switched to full synthetic oil.
I was told the main difference between the 2000 and newer vs 1999 and older is the size of the oil return holes in the heads. I don't know if you can get in there and open them up, but I was told that if you run synthetic oil the sludge problem is greatly reduced to the point of probably being eliminated.
If I were you, I would rebuild it and switch to synthetic after the break in period. I agree with valiant67 in that the swap to a 3.2 (or even a 3.5) is a viable option, but I would only consider it if the 2.7 were completely trashed.

#4 desktop

desktop
  • 565 posts

Posted February 13, 2007 at 05:06 am

Is the 2.7 good on power and gas mileage for that big car ?
Can it hold its own on the highway ?
If so I say rebuild it mabey even bore it out to 2.8 or 3.0 liters =)
and make sure to use synthetic hehe

#5 ecs

ecs
  • 3,529 posts

Posted February 13, 2007 at 09:12 am

If so I say rebuild it mabey even bore it out to 2.8 or 3.0 liters =)

I doubt you could bore it out that big. Probably 2.8 at MOST. There are better ways to make power than making cylinder walls the consistency of tin foil.

#6 juma1998

juma1998

Moparaholic

• 2,429 posts

Posted February 13, 2007 at 10:37 am

I doubt you could bore it out that big. Probably 2.8 at MOST. There are better ways to make power than making cylinder walls the consistency of tin foil.

Anything that changes the tolerance on that beast is something else id be affriad of...

#7 viper91180

viper91180
  • Invalid E-mail - contact admin
  • 1,134 posts

Posted February 13, 2007 at 03:21 pm

id rebuild it, ive done so many that i cant remember the number and they all work out well, the synthetic oil is a good recomendation, but even running the recomended 5w30 is a huge help, or 5w20 works well as well. they have good power and they can certainly hold their own on the highway. i especially say rebuild were you ahve the disposal of a machine shop with you.

#8 Vigo

Vigo

Bigger than my body..

• 4,460 posts

Posted February 13, 2007 at 08:33 pm

i'd rebuild it too. you already have all the parts and access to the equipment so just go for it. as for keeping the sludge from returning, i would try not to use the car only for short trips, change the oil regularly, make sure the PCV system is in good working order, and visually check down the oil fill every once in a while for evidence of sludge returning. there are a few treatments you can run through the crankcase that might serve as good preventive maintenance for sludge buildup, but i havent tried any of them..

good luck! post pics!

#9 grover lxi

grover lxi
  • 194 posts

Posted February 14, 2007 at 02:46 pm

sorry to threadjack a little, i've got the 2.7 in the Sebring and have taken it to the dealership for oil changes to ensure the proper oil is used (and backup if something goes wrong). I've since given the car to my wife who won't be bothered to go the dealership but instead goes to the quickie shops - she should be sure to use 5w30, right?

#10 viper91180

viper91180
  • 1,134 posts

Posted February 14, 2007 at 03:22 pm

sorry to threadjack a little, i've got the 2.7 in the Sebring and have taken it to the dealership for oil changes to ensure the proper oil is used (and backup if something goes wrong). I've since given the car to my wife who won't be bothered to go the dealership but instead goes to the quickie shops - she should be sure to use 5w30, right?

YES and a quality filter!

#11 ecs

ecs
  • 3,529 posts

Posted February 14, 2007 at 03:48 pm

Please tell her to keep an eye on the car after it gets changed from one of those shops. It might also help to put a mark on the oil filter to know that they changed it out instead of leaving the old one in there. I've heard some terrible stories about these oil change places where they accidently double gasket the oil filters, or don't gasket it at all, and not torquing the drain plug correctly, etc etc. There is a whole big thing on youtube about the jiffy lube incidents.

All that i'm saying is make sure she checks for leaking oil when driving off. If you don't... before you know it, there will be no oil in the car and you can kiss that engine goodbye.

#12 tealfish

tealfish
  • Inactive
  • 2,224 posts

Posted February 15, 2007 at 02:46 pm

Please tell her to keep an eye on the car after it gets changed from one of those shops. It might also help to put a mark on the oil filter to know that they changed it out instead of leaving the old one in there. I've heard some terrible stories about these oil change places where they accidently double gasket the oil filters, or don't gasket it at all, and not torquing the drain plug correctly, etc etc. There is a whole big thing on youtube about the jiffy lube incidents.

All that i'm saying is make sure she checks for leaking oil when driving off. If you don't... before you know it, there will be no oil in the car and you can kiss that engine goodbye.

Add to the list LOOSE Filters. I changed oil on several cars that had its previous change at a quickie place, the filter was on so loose that it came off with two fingers. If it was a tad looser, the oil would have come out on the highway and the engine would have siezed.

I think it is a mistake to give a woman a car with a with a 2.7 engine having foreknowledge she will wind up taking it to one of those disreputable quickie lube places...

#13 viper91180

viper91180
  • 1,134 posts

Posted February 15, 2007 at 04:58 pm

Add to the list LOOSE Filters. I changed oil on several cars that had its previous change at a quickie place, the filter was on so loose that it came off with two fingers. If it was a tad looser, the oil would have come out on the highway and the engine would have siezed.

I think it is a mistake to give a woman a car with a with a 2.7 engine having foreknowledge she will wind up taking it to one of those disreputable quickie lube places...

also one thing that should be noted is that the sebring has not has anywheres near the engine trouble as the lh body did, they ahve a diffrent pcv system than the lh, the lh used coolant for heat, and when short trips were made it did not get up to temperature, the sebring does not use this

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.