cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Rebuilding the A604

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 karlStolz

karlStolz
  • Inactive
  • 1,379 posts

Posted February 25, 2007 at 02:46 am

If anyone has any details or pictures of tools they made when they rebuilt their A604, I would appreciate the info.

Edited by karlStolz, February 25, 2007 at 02:47 am.

#2 Beans

Beans
  • 1,064 posts

Posted February 25, 2007 at 01:02 pm

fabinator (I think) did one with out a set of special transmission tools and I think he's happy with his tranny.
Maybe He'll see your post and respond
-beans

Edited by Beans, February 25, 2007 at 01:02 pm.

#3 moparroy

moparroy
  • 673 posts

Posted February 26, 2007 at 08:54 pm

I can get you some - don't have time to take pics tonight - and this forum does not seem to support attachments. PM me or email me with your email and I'll get you some. I am away for a couple days so it won't be till late in the week...

#4 Police Interceptor

Police Interceptor
  • 287 posts

Posted February 26, 2007 at 09:43 pm

I rebuilt mine without any special tools. I had to improvise a couple of times with spring compressors.

#5 NeonHomer

NeonHomer
  • 1,002 posts

Posted February 26, 2007 at 10:07 pm

I think that is what he is wanting to know... what kinda of improvised tools did you use to do this...

I am interested as well, as I am facing a rebuild of my 41TE as well...

#6 Police Interceptor

Police Interceptor
  • 287 posts

Posted February 26, 2007 at 10:47 pm

I didn't take pictures of the improvised tools that I used. I remember using a pieces of wood, an engine pulley and a hacked up metal house lamp reflector. Lol, All of the stuff came from my house/garage so you would really have to start taking stuff apart and doing the work and coming up with the tools as you go along. To take the tranny apart, you don't really need any special tools but to put it back together is when the compressors come into play. The force on all the springs is not that great so it can be done without any expensive tools.

#7 3L_lover (converted)

3L_lover (converted)
  • Guests

Posted February 28, 2007 at 12:01 pm

Just gotta say this. I am totally impressed by you guys who can rebuild an A604/41Te. Are you guys professional mechanics or DIY at home people? Either way I am sincerely impressed. I am just plain amazed though if you are DIY at home people.`

I have a lot of respect and admiration for real mechanics, whether professional or not, because it is all just plain beyond me. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know and how much BS I was taught in the past.

#8 NeonHomer

NeonHomer
  • 1,002 posts

Posted February 28, 2007 at 01:36 pm

If I had the tools, I would rebuild my own.....

I was young (10 or so) I would rather pick up a Chilton manual instead of a kids book.

#9 joandjo

joandjo
  • 51 posts

Posted February 28, 2007 at 05:58 pm

Look at this site http://img.betchuk.c...ls.php?album=10

#10 Police Interceptor

Police Interceptor
  • 287 posts

Posted February 28, 2007 at 06:22 pm

Just gotta say this. I am totally impressed by you guys who can rebuild an A604/41Te. Are you guys professional mechanics or DIY at home people? Either way I am sincerely impressed. I am just plain amazed though if you are DIY at home people.`

I have a lot of respect and admiration for real mechanics, whether professional or not, because it is all just plain beyond me. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know and how much BS I was taught in the past.

I am a hobbyist. lol I fix all my cars and it came down to either paying someone $1000 to rebuild the tranny, not knowing what has and hasn't been fixed or buying a used tranny from a yard. I decided to try and fix it myself. I didn't really care if I would fix it or not. The way I looked at it, if it doesn't work, I am out $800 on parts but if it does, I got a fixed tranny.

#11 karlStolz

karlStolz
  • Inactive
  • 1,379 posts

Posted March 1, 2007 at 02:58 am

If I had the tools, I would rebuild my own.....

I was young (10 or so) I would rather pick up a Chilton manual instead of a kids book.

When I was young, I would rather pick up a Playboy magazine instead of a kids book..LOL

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.