cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

168 vs. 194 bulb

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 joemvcnj

joemvcnj

Lost

• Inactive
  • 38 posts

Posted March 24, 2007 at 05:04 pm

I know the bulbs seem interchangeable, the 168 being listed for the outdoor locations, the 194 for inside. Is there any harm is using a 194 for the outside markers ?

#2 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,349 posts

Posted March 24, 2007 at 08:10 pm

I've done it with no ill effects. I believe the difference is the current it draws and the light output. But I've found there's not enough difference to harm anything.

#3 94DUSTER

94DUSTER
  • Registry Users
  • 28 posts

Posted March 25, 2007 at 06:57 pm

Good day,
The only difference between the 2 bulbs is the candle power value. The 168 is most commonly an interior bulb, not all that bright for back lighting. The 194 is favorite of the marker lamp on all 4 corners of most Mopars. If I recall my parts history correctly, the 168 = 2 candle power & the 194 = 3. Unless you have a close fit or small cavity for the brighter bulb, yes, they interchange.
Chow for Now,
Dale M.

#4 gold5th

gold5th
  • Inactive
  • 741 posts

Posted March 26, 2007 at 04:28 pm

Good day,
The only difference between the 2 bulbs is the candle power value. The 168 is most commonly an interior bulb, not all that bright for back lighting. The 194 is favorite of the marker lamp on all 4 corners of most Mopars. If I recall my parts history correctly, the 168 = 2 candle power & the 194 = 3. Unless you have a close fit or small cavity for the brighter bulb, yes, they interchange.
Chow for Now,
Dale M.

I know the 168 is the larger of the two bulbs, and unless I'm getting mixed up, I rememeber reading that the 168 pulled more watts, and thus a brighter bulb, I've had both on side by side and there was a difference, but you'd only really now it if they where side by side.

#5 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,349 posts

Posted March 26, 2007 at 05:32 pm

https://www.fleet.fo.../bb_pdf/174.pdf

168: 0.35A at 14V = 4.9 watts; 3 candlepower

194: 0.27A at 14V = 3.8 watts; 2 candlepower

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.