cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Jeep GC Rear Axle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 82dippy

82dippy
  • 5 posts

Posted April 28, 2007 at 11:14 am

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee which has a leak at the rear axle brake area. I suspect the seal is bad. All the info I read says this is a Dana 35 with C-clips. I've removed the rod in the center differential and do not see any C-clip at the end of the axle. The manual says to push the axle towards the center and the C-clip should fall out. I can't move it at all. This vehicle has ABS. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks! Richard

#2 94DUSTER

94DUSTER
  • Registry Users
  • 28 posts

Posted April 28, 2007 at 09:13 pm

Good day, Having not found any c-clips in the center area, the axle would then be a conventional Dana 35 with bolt in axles shafts. The main diff housing should have a 35 embossed on the casting on the forward face.( Just to confirm) This type of retainer is pressed onto the axle inboard of the the wheel seal and bearing. Replacement also involves a press. If you have access to a FSM the layout for disassembly and replacement,(ABS equipped or otherwise) is fairly straight forward.
Good luck.

Dale M.

#3 82dippy

82dippy
  • 5 posts

Posted April 29, 2007 at 08:15 am

Dale - Thanks for your reply. While there is no c-clip on the axle shafts, there are also no bolts at the axle wheel flange to loosen as in a non-c-clip axle. Behind the wheel flange is the ABS sensor ring. The only bolts are four behind the brake back plate or shield. I loosened them also, and the axle still did not slide out or in. Everything I've read says this axle should have c-clips

#4 t2erns

t2erns
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 30, 2007 at 07:47 pm

like dale said the 04wj rear axle (both rba-rear beam aluminum and rbi-rear beam iron) doesn't have c-clips. the axle is held by retaining plates, and you have to pull the axles using slide hammer after un-bolting the reatainer.
REMOVAL
(1) Place transmission in neutral.
(2) Raise and support vehicle.
(3) Remove wheel and tire assembly.
(4) Remove brake caliper and rotor.
(5) Remove nuts holding axle retainer plate to axle
tube from the rear of the axle flange.
(6) Pull axle shaft from the axle with Slide Hammer

NOTE: The axle bearing race is normally loose in
the axle tube.
INSTALLATION
(1) Install axle into the axle tube with the flat area
of the retainer plate upward.
(2) Insert retaining plate studs into the brake
backing plate and axle tube flange.
(3) Install retainer nuts and tighten nuts to 61
N·m (45 ft. lbs.).
(4) Install the brake rotor and caliper.
(5) Install wheel and tire.
(6) Check and fill the differential with gear lubricant.

#5 94DUSTER

94DUSTER
  • Registry Users
  • 28 posts

Posted April 30, 2007 at 07:51 pm

Good day again,
If you still have not reached a conclusion for the axle detail and the cover is still removed, post the crown gear stamp numbers. They will indicate ratio( tooth count) and the cr # I can translate through my work on Dana listings. It will narrow the application chart and in general, show wheel end options for any Dana axle in use. I work for Gear Centre, we are Dana/Spicer Distributors.
Dale M.

#6 82dippy

82dippy
  • 5 posts

Posted May 1, 2007 at 07:38 pm

Dale,

I've already re-installed the diff cover so I can't look for numbers inside. However, I did get the numbers on the two metal tags and on the actual cover. They are 52099433AG, 3.55 6969 and 75W140SYN on the two tags. On the cover is Dana, 47415, 057 3, Rev F. I hope this helps, thanks.

Richard

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.