cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

Low speed wheel wobble / shimmy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 tonylewis (converted)

tonylewis (converted)
  • Guests

Posted May 8, 2007 at 08:37 am

I recently sold my 96 Intrepid with only a few miles short of 200K, and "inherited" my daughter's 99 Cirrus with only 100K miles. It has a low speed wheel wobble or shimmy that occurs on slow down and speeding up. Here's the diagnostics to date:

1) right front wheel appears to wobble at low (<30 mph) speed, both slowing down and speeding up
2) steering wheel does NOT wobble/shimmy
3) no clicking noises from CV
4) vehicle tracks perfectly - no pulling left or right
5) wobble / shimmy would seem to appear when braking, indicating warped rotors, but continues if you take foot off of brakes, and continues when speeding back up.
6) wobble / shimmy apparently does occur on turns at low speed, both left and righ
7) absolutely no wobble or shimmy at highway speeds
8) having car in drive or neutral makes no difference

Surfing this forum and the web often points to a similar problem with the minivans and their inner CV joint, but that seems to apply to wobble on acceleration only. To date, I have not done any of the "simple" stuff such as rotating tires (bad tire), turning rotors (warped rotor), checking tie rods and ball joints, or front end alignment. I am getting a lot of things fixed at one time in the near future, because I will be changing the stock steel wheels for some original aluminum wheels, and then rotating tires and getting front end aligned. Just wanted to throw this out there to see if there are other things to look for. The thing that is strange to me is that the steering wheel does not wobble or shimmy at all when the car does. Thanks!

Edited by tonylewis, May 9, 2007 at 10:40 am.

#2 KOG

KOG

KOG

• 5,840 posts

Posted May 8, 2007 at 05:39 pm

You already know. Start with the simple stuff.

#3 tonylewis (converted)

tonylewis (converted)
  • Guests

Posted May 9, 2007 at 07:28 am

You are right. It will be interesting to see if it gets any better after the simple/quick/cheap stuff is done.

#4 68RT

68RT
  • 4,603 posts

Posted May 9, 2007 at 12:16 pm

Your style shimmy is very common with a broken belt in a radial tire. The fact that it continues with the brakes off usually will eliminate the brakes as a primary (may also be an additional problem) source of your complaint. I would look at tires first, then u-joint second. Many times the tire can be spotted by just jacking up the wheel just off the ground with the trans in neutral (Make sure the parking brake is applied!) and rotating the tire while watching the tread at the bottom (ground used as a reference) for odd movement.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.