cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

94 Chrysler LHS - Water Pump/Timing Belt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 bolomiester

bolomiester
  • Inactive
  • 91 posts

Posted May 14, 2007 at 04:46 pm

The crank pulley on my 94 LHS is starting to wobble a little and the water pump is louder than I think it should be. I figure it must be time for a new water pump and timing belt. I do most of my own work but I'm just getting over some minor surgery and not feeling up to it. Can anyone give me an idea what kind of price is usual for this job? Also, is there anything else I need to do along with these two components? Thanks, any advise is highly appreciated. I'm trying to decide if I should drive my old truck and wait until I'm healed a bit more, or if I should just pay up and get it done.

#2 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,323 posts

Posted May 14, 2007 at 07:38 pm

I think from the dealer you can count on about $500 for timing belt and water pump in general. May vary for your engine. Also, a wobble in the crank pulley may actually be the harmonic dampener wearing out. That went in my truck. If ignored for tens of thousands of miles, it could wear the crank bearings unevenly. I paid $80 for the part and it was done during a timing chain replacement. Maybe all of this would be $700+.

#3 tealfish

tealfish
  • Inactive
  • 2,224 posts

Posted May 14, 2007 at 08:23 pm

On the 3.5 engine the wobbling of the visible crank pulley is not that big a deal, mine has wobbled since new with no ill effect after 118,000 miles. This is an iron casting and not a vibration damper with rubber insert and all it does is drive the belt.

Now to the water pump. If it fails by seizing up, your going to break down on the road and need a tow truck. Look for coolant leakage under the car as a sign that the bearing is fixin' to fail. Get estimates from good independent mechanics NOW while the car is still running, so you are not at the mercy of whoever the car is towed to. The pump and belt should be at the most several hundred, not $500-700. On the other hand if the pump siezes whild driving you will also tear up the tensioner pulley and thats a $100 part.

#4 Gerry G

Gerry G
  • 752 posts

Posted May 14, 2007 at 08:53 pm

I had a 3.3 with the wobbling crank pulley from day 1 and went over 145,000 without a problem.

Hope this helps,

Gerry G.

#5 Marcos

Marcos
  • 3,010 posts

Posted May 15, 2007 at 06:13 am

I think my father paid $650 to have the timing belt and WP replaced in his '95 LHS. This was at the dealer.

#6 tealfish

tealfish
  • Inactive
  • 2,224 posts

Posted May 15, 2007 at 06:24 am

I think my father paid $650 to have the timing belt and WP replaced in his '95 LHS. This was at the dealer.

The lesson from that is to learn how to fix things yourself, or at least find a good independant mechanic. The dealer is the last place to be saving money on repairs. The job is not worth $650.

#7 skier

skier
  • Inactive
  • 14 posts

Posted May 15, 2007 at 07:14 am

I have a 94 Intrepid 3.3
I'm having some coolant leakage I think is from the water Pump. Any tips on what to look for when replacing the pump and the Timing chain? I mean any special tools. I have most anything that a home mechanic would have and I just hate to pay 500 or $600. I'd rather give that to my daughther to help her through college. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..thanks!

Skier

Edited by skier, May 15, 2007 at 07:16 am.

#8 Marcos

Marcos
  • 3,010 posts

Posted May 15, 2007 at 07:57 am

The lesson from that is to learn how to fix things yourself, or at least find a good independant mechanic. The dealer is the last place to be saving money on repairs. The job is not worth $650.

My father chose to go to the dealer because that is where he bought the car and he already had a relationship with them. Our family mechanic of MANY years had retired a few years prior, and finding an independent mechanic to trust in this area is definitely not easy.

As for learning to fix things for yourself, my father has been working on cars since way back when he was a teenager in Cuba. He's rebuilt several engines, including a triumph TR6 engine and a 2.2L from a Plymouth turismo. He's also rebuilt heads or replaced head gaskets on several other 2.2/2.5 engines, replaced clutches on both FWD and RWD vehicles, Replaced axles, done brake work, struts and shocks, steering racks, exhaust work, body work, brakes, rebuilt carburetors, replaced water pumps on 318's and 2.2/2.5, and some electrical work. Together, we've done a timing belt/WP on a mitsu 3.0, and engine replacement in a 3.5L Concorde, various A/C work including replacing the evaporators on the Concorde, my Lebaron, and my Grand Cherokee. Oh, and he did the timing belt/WP on the LHS again, after it was in a front-end collision. Plus he's currently restoring a TR6 and a TR3. About the only thing he doesn't do is weld.

My father is also a workng professional (architect and electrical engineer) with a busy schedule aside from raising 6 kids. He doesn't always have the available downtime to work on one of his cars or wait till the weekend, so he did take the LHS to the dealer on occasion for repairs or maintenance.

Since the original poster asked for a ballpark figure to have someone else do the job and I did have relevant experience to share I thought I would chime in.

Edited by Marcos, May 15, 2007 at 07:58 am.

#9 tealfish

tealfish
  • Inactive
  • 2,224 posts

Posted May 16, 2007 at 09:33 am

You have to admire the Cubans for one thing; they have lots of 1950's American cars still on the road.

#10 tealfish

tealfish
  • Inactive
  • 2,224 posts

Posted May 16, 2007 at 09:39 am

I have a 94 Intrepid 3.3
I'm having some coolant leakage I think is from the water Pump. Any tips on what to look for when replacing the pump and the Timing chain? I mean any special tools. I have most anything that a home mechanic would have and I just hate to pay 500 or $600. I'd rather give that to my daughther to help her through college. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..thanks!

Skier

On the 3.3 as opposed to the 3.5; the water pump is not driven off the timing chain/belt. Just replace the water pump if leaking.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.