cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Ramcharger Not Charging Battery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cobalt60

Cobalt60
  • Inactive
  • 25 posts

Posted February 3, 2003 at 01:46 pm

Hello all. I posted before but never got my problem solved. My truck, a 1984 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 318ci, now drives ok, but the battery does not get charged. However, the truck does run off the alternator ok. The alternator, voltage regulator, battery, ballast resistor, and starter are all new. I took the wire wrap off all the wiring from the alternator to the battery, and I didnt see any shorts. The day after I installed the alternator, the red (output?) wire from the alternator heated up so much that it melted and smoked the rubber off (I since replaced this wire), which to me, sounds like I have a short. The red wire, along with 3 other pink/red wires, combine into 2 wires, one of which goes to the ballast resistor, the other goes to the ECU. Since my ballast resistor is new, could I have a bad ECU? Any other areas or wires I should check? Also, just so I can make sure my wiring is wired correctly, anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram? Any help greatly appreciated, I need this truck to be running.

Thanks

Chris

#2 dana44

dana44
  • 16,625 posts

Posted February 3, 2003 at 02:32 pm

Had a friend with a similar problem and found that there is a connection on a post between the battery teminal and the starter that had corroded. It was kind of wrapped in black tape and after I cleaned it, started charging battery. You have definitely either bought yourself a ground, which, with the alternator, can act the same way of losing connection, i.e., corrosion within the circuit. Make sure the ends of any connections are not green with oxide, and that the battery terminals themselves are clean and attached tightly.

#3 duster416

duster416
  • Inactive
  • 181 posts

Posted February 3, 2003 at 05:53 pm

the path of the heavy alt. wire goes from the starter relay threw firewall threw amp/alt gauge, out firewall to the alt.

if there are no obvious shorts, try running a wire(same gauge as original) from start relay directly to alt. and dissconnect original wire( both ends) , this will eliminate any bulkhead or under dash possibilities of the main line in your search for the short.

should this cure problem you can decide to rewire as original or leave new bypass on and eliminate under dash problem and install new aftermarket. amp gauge if desired .

considering the wire to alt melted insulation.......may have done in the alt and bench test may be required........

other cause of no charge is volt reg isnt grounded good to mounting location.

the wire to ballast is the volt senseing line , spliced into the wire "I" post on volt reg.......the ecu has no bearing on charge.

#4 Cobalt60

Cobalt60
  • Inactive
  • 25 posts

Posted February 3, 2003 at 09:48 pm

Ok, thanks for the advice. Ill post updates to the situation tomorrow when Ive tried a few of your suggestions.

#5 Cobalt60

Cobalt60
  • Inactive
  • 25 posts

Posted February 3, 2003 at 11:59 pm

Could you please tell me where the start relay is located? Also, by heavy wire coming from alt, do you mean the thickest (in my case black) wire?

Thanks again

#6 duster416

duster416
  • Inactive
  • 181 posts

Posted February 4, 2003 at 11:18 pm

starter relay is usually on inner fender....main feed wires from battery go to it and to starter.

i assumed the heaviest wire(output) was the one that got hot.
and being one of the thicker wires it may be shorted as most others would of burned threw by the time it got hot enuff to melt insulation off.

#7 Cobalt60

Cobalt60
  • Inactive
  • 25 posts

Posted February 5, 2003 at 02:19 pm

Which wire am I replacing on the starter relay? There is a total of 5 wires, 2 of them are the same guage as the heavy alt wire. One is red and goes to the positive battery wire. The other is black and goes to the starter. This is the start relay, isnt it? Where does the alternator wire come from the firewall?

Thanks

#8 Cobalt60

Cobalt60
  • Inactive
  • 25 posts

Posted February 5, 2003 at 10:10 pm

I am having difficulty deciding where to run this wire on the starter relay. It sounds like a great idea, as then there would be no more short giving me a problem, and I also wont have to check under the entire dash (until I feel like it). But I dont want to connect the output wire of the alternator somewhere that I may cause damage, as this seems to have a good potential to do that. So just let me know where exactly Im routing the output wire of the alternator, and which wire Im disconnecting from the starter relay. As soon as I try it, Ill let you know if it works.

Thanks

Chris

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.