cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 sst1226

sst1226
  • Invalid E-mail - contact admin
  • 49 posts

Posted July 24, 2007 at 01:47 pm

My 98 Cirrus 2.5L occasionally will store a code/codes for "multiple cylinder misfire" or "misfire cylinder #X" or both. It usually happens when travelling at 60-75 mph for an extended period of time with tempatures above 85 Deg. F. with the A/C on.

Usually the check engine light will flash. If I stomp on the throttle the light will go off. Sometimes the light will come back on and stay on for a little while before going out, or just flash a few times and then go off. When I retrieve the codes, I get the misfire messages.

I did a tune-up about 30,000 miles ago with Cap and Rotor, Wires and Champion OE plugs. The O2 sensors were replaced about 40-50,000 miles ago.

I suspect it could be bad plug wire/wires or perhaps too much discount gas without use of a good fuel system cleaner.

Any suggestions?

#2 Gerry G

Gerry G
  • 752 posts

Posted July 24, 2007 at 09:42 pm

I had a bad crankshaft position sensor that would act up at times and cause a multiple misfire. Unfortunately I had just
replaced the sensor and it was the new one that was bad. the second sensor was better but still not perfect. I went out
and bought an oem one and have not had a problem since (do check out the price from a dealer, I was surprised to find out
the dealer one was actually a buck or so cheaper).

Hope this helps,

Gerry G.

#3 SuperShadow

SuperShadow
  • 344 posts

Posted July 27, 2007 at 10:15 am

Maybe you have a "trial version" of the MDS that is all the rage today!! (sarcasm)

Hey, it's Friday and I think everybody could use a little humour about now!!! :P

SuperShadow

#4 Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster

Vaguely badass...

• Supermen
  • Others:Supporters
  • 19,676 posts

Posted July 27, 2007 at 10:18 am

Or the distributor has developed a crack...

#5 sst1226

sst1226
  • Invalid E-mail - contact admin
  • 49 posts

Posted August 8, 2007 at 08:03 am

I had a bad crankshaft position sensor that would act up at times and cause a multiple misfire. Unfortunately I had just
replaced the sensor and it was the new one that was bad. the second sensor was better but still not perfect. I went out
and bought an oem one and have not had a problem since (do check out the price from a dealer, I was surprised to find out
the dealer one was actually a buck or so cheaper).

Hope this helps,

Gerry G.

I replaced my Crankshaft Position Sensor back in Dec. with one from Napa. In the last month, I've had the check engine light coming on. It doesn't seem to sputter or break up when the light comes on. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try one from Chrysler. I'll try it and let you know, thanks for the advice!

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.