cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

Full size tire to replace donut spare

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,650 posts

Posted September 17, 2007 at 10:32 am

On my 96 Grand Voyager, the donut spare is in very bad shape and unsafe. I found this out after getting a flat for the third time in 3 weeks (Tire Kingdom could not properly repair the puncture). I had to drive on the donut for about 40 miles and it was not fun. I probably had about 40 PSI in the spare instead of the recommended 60 so I am sure I contributed to the deterioration (cracked all around the sidewall).

My choice is to go to the boneyard and get a newer used donut tire or try to find a decent used full sized tire. I looks like it should fit in-place of the donut.

Has anyone done this and how has it worked? The rims are the 15 inch ones on my vehicle (tires are 215 60 R15's).

Thanks

BTW, I ultimately had to get a new tire and had to battle with them on the prorate price. These are Goodyear Ultra Touring 80,000 mile tires with about 20,000 miles on them.

#2 pappy

pappy
  • 133 posts

Posted September 17, 2007 at 10:38 am

The full size tire will fit there with no problem. In fact the owner's manual instructs you to store the flat tire there until you can repair it.

#3 Caravan05851

Caravan05851
  • 198 posts

Posted September 17, 2007 at 10:51 am

That's one of the problems with any temp tire. You are instructed to inflate the tire to 60 psi after you put it on. I always inflate mine to 60 psi when I first get the vehicle. I just went to a junkyard and bought a used tire on the proper rim and now that is my spare.

#4 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,650 posts

Posted September 17, 2007 at 11:01 am

Thanks, guys. I'll try to find a good used one at the yard next weekend.
I'm good at keeping the air up in the regular tires, but tend to forget about the spare. We just don't get flats much anymore, but once you get one, it really reminds you that the spare is an important item to keep up. I remember airing it up over a year ago, so it lost 20 pounds in that amount of time.

#5 Seed

Seed
  • Inactive
  • 1,804 posts

Posted September 17, 2007 at 03:11 pm

Hey John, in Nashville the local pull-a-part with sell you either and aluminum or steel wheel with a tire on it for $11.31 plus tax. These guys have some great prices on a lot of stuff. I got strut assemblies for about $16.00 apiece today. I needed the spacers, bumper stops and rubber spring rests off them and the parts store couldn't even order what all I needed. Had to go by there while taking my wife to the rhumetologist anyway.

#6 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,650 posts

Posted September 17, 2007 at 05:30 pm

Hey John, in Nashville the local pull-a-part with sell you either and aluminum or steel wheel with a tire on it for $11.31 plus tax. These guys have some great prices on a lot of stuff. I got strut assemblies for about $16.00 apiece today. I needed the spacers, bumper stops and rubber spring rests off them and the parts store couldn't even order what all I needed. Had to go by there while taking my wife to the rhumetologist anyway.

I won't be able to do that good here. They were getting about $20 for a mounted tire/wheel at my local Pull-A-Part. They go like hotcakes too and you almost have to be waiting there when they bring a fresh wreck in.

#7 PhilB1949

PhilB1949
  • 64 posts

Posted September 17, 2007 at 09:05 pm

I replaced the donut spare on my 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager several years ago with a full sized spare tire and rim and have only had to use the spare once, luckily in my own driveway. I have no faith in those donut spare tires and recommend that they should be replaced with a full size tire every time. Good luck!

#8 BAJA73

BAJA73
  • 212 posts

Posted September 18, 2007 at 06:24 am

What bolt pattern do you have? I have some 14" rims with tires at the house. If you want one you can have it. They are 5x100.

#9 Blupupher

Blupupher
  • 116 posts

Posted September 18, 2007 at 04:04 pm

Just a note, on Sto-n-Go vans, you can not use a full size spare (or even store the flat full size tire in the spare tire space).

#10 Old Goat

Old Goat
  • 566 posts

Posted September 18, 2007 at 04:42 pm

On my 94 Caravan I bought a full size spare and replaced the temp. However around here the basic steel wheel with a tire can easily go for $35 - $45. To me the full size is the only way to go if there is room.

#11 John Wood

John Wood
  • 10,650 posts

Posted September 18, 2007 at 05:43 pm

What bolt pattern do you have? I have some 14" rims with tires at the house. If you want one you can have it. They are 5x100.

Thanks
These are the 15 inch (115 mm, I think). I'll try LQK Clearwater and the nearby Pull-A-Part this weekend. I may have to make a few attemps to catch a newly added one.

Again, I appreciate your offer and all who responded.

Edited by John Wood, September 18, 2007 at 05:43 pm.

#12 vipergg

vipergg
  • 1,747 posts

Posted September 19, 2007 at 08:04 pm

Just a note, on Sto-n-Go vans, you can not use a full size spare (or even store the flat full size tire in the spare tire space).

Is that right? Boy that stinks, guess I won't be buying any stow and go vans , not that i like them anyway the seats aren't comfortable at all . Thats why i bought a 2007 SWB still has the nice comfy seats in both rows. The van came with a full size spare too , must have been having a fire sale to get rid of tires as it was only a $30 option for the spare.

Edited by vipergg, September 19, 2007 at 08:05 pm.

#13 300MPerformance

300MPerformance
  • 533 posts

Posted September 19, 2007 at 11:35 pm

Is that right? Boy that stinks, guess I won't be buying any stow and go vans , not that i like them anyway the seats aren't comfortable at all . Thats why i bought a 2007 SWB still has the nice comfy seats in both rows. The van came with a full size spare too , must have been having a fire sale to get rid of tires as it was only a $30 option for the spare.

The new Swivel and Go seats are comfortable, and you get those nice covered storage wells to put things in out, of the view of thieves.

Edited by 300MPerformance, September 19, 2007 at 11:36 pm.

#14 stew1927

stew1927
  • Supporters
  • 200 posts

Posted September 20, 2007 at 05:59 am

First thing I did, was throw away the "mini" tire and replaced it with a GOOD used tire and steel wheel 205.75 R14. Fit perfectly. $20.00 Cdn

#15 cavemanmoron

cavemanmoron
  • Inactive
  • 1,286 posts

Posted September 20, 2007 at 02:37 pm

I carry my spare,{Full size} in the back,
but, I only have one seat, in the middle of the Minivan.

I also carry a small floor jack, and a big 4 way,
ANd a can of Fix-Aflat. LOL.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.