cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

1991 Dodge Dakota No spark

23 replies to this topic

#21 B10alia

B10alia
  • 1,684 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 23, 2012 at 08:09 am

The rubber jello is potting compound or something similar to keep moisture off the main board. Personally, I would replace the ECU if you're 100% positive that the connectors aren't the problem, that potting compound makes any repair work that much harder.

#22 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 8,871 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:11 am

I'd also speculate about the wiring itself that plugs into the ECU, as the copper wiring will conduct heat very effectively. You might even want to look at what the wiring plugs into most directly next.

#23 Jerry V Jarvis

Jerry V Jarvis
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 at 12:52 am

Hello People,I am having the same no start problem.What started this puzzle is on the way home from picking up my father from the hospital the truck died while sitting for a red light.Had the truck towed home and getting my dad setteled in,I sterted looking into why.I found the center button contact missing from the dist cap.I replaced both cap and rotor and tried starting the truck up to no avail.I own a Dodge Dakota service manual for the 91.I went through all the testing and code readings and all point to a running engine.The battery was replaced earlier this year.The truck does have 341,834 miles on it.Not sure if the engine is original.The timing chian appears to be correct as judged by the rocker arms.I have spark at coil and at plugs,The fuel pumps shoots a stream almost past the front grill.The injectors are working( you can see the spray when the sun shines on the tbi).The only codes I get are for no altenator field wiring and regulator.The truck has 70s type electronc reg.I have another ecm and tried that to no avail.Both my dad and I are stumped.We both havent seen anything like this.But we are somewhat old school mechanics.I checked all fuses as well.I switched the asd relay with all the other relays.Im sorry for the length of this just furustrated.I've always bragged if its a Dodge I can get it running.Its never broke down.Not this time though.Thanks

#24 Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln

"CHECK FAULT CODES"

• Supporters (L2)
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 25,352 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 at 07:40 am

This is a tough one, as someone has messed with it by installing a 70s vintage regulator. The voltage regulator circuit is in the ECM in a stock truck. So it's anybody's guess as to how this external regulator is connected.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.