drawings provided by Tom Rock
Back in 1947, Chrysler engineer A.J. Rock completed work on a design study for aluminum heads, which would have been unusual for American production cars of the time. Presumably, they would have been used with a light aluminum block. Alcoa was specified as the supplier, as of 1948, at least.
68RT noted that they were using parallel valves, so it was not a Hemi head, though that’s what Chrysler used on their 1951 cars — and what would be the sole Chrysler Corporation V8 design for years to come.
The heads would, unsurprisingly, have been cast. Most of the blueprint is reproduced here — smaller than on the original, because one can’t unfold a web page.
For perspective, here is the entire sheet. Not much paper was wasted here.
Also see engine creators: Willem Weertman • Pete Hagenbuch
More Mopar Car and Truck News
If Chrysler Used the 3.9 V6 in the F/J/M Cars? • GM pushing laws that make Google Autonomous... • Anyone know where the roof display and/or...