Note: Allpar does not take responsibility for the veracity of any information or opinions here, does not claim expertise, and is not responsible for any consequences. Please proceed at your own risk.
Chrysler Corporation instructions
Camshaft centerline measurement/indexing for the EDS engine (2. 2L Turbo III) to determine the timing relationship of the camshafts to the crankshaft.
- Degree wheel (with 0-360 degree in CCW direction) or marked flywheel and pointer.
- long breaker bar with crank sprocket drive adapter.
- Dial indicator and mounting brackets.
- Special rocker arm: solid or modified hydraulic lifter (see sketch) in arm.
1. Remove spark plugs and install a dial indicator in the #1 cylinder plug hole.
2. Release valvetrain load by loosening the rocker shafts (refer to Lotus Engineering Build Note #PPD9).
3. Rotate crankshaft two revolutions in CW direction.
4. Check belt tension and adjust to specification if necessary. Repeat step 3 if a tension adjustment is made.
5. Rotate crankshaft in CW to piston #1 TDC (set dial indicator to 0°).
6. The small hole in the spoke of the exhaust camshaft sprocket should be horizontally aligned with the small hole in the cylinder head (to the right of the camshaft seal).
7. The small hole in the spoke of the intake camshaft sprocket should be horizontally aligned with the small hole in the cylinder head (to the left of the camshaft seal).
8. Initially set the degree wheel pointer to 0°.
9. Rotate crankshaft in CCW direction until 0.050" from 0° (on the dial indicator), then rotate CW to 0.010" before 0°. Record the number of degrees (X) before 0.
10. Continue rotating the crankshaft in the CW direction to 0.050" (past 0°), then rotate CCW to 0.010" before 0°. Record the number of degrees (Y) after 0°.
11. The average of X & Y is the true 0 on the degree wheel. Reset the pointer if necessary.
1. Install an adjustable lifter/roller rocker assembly in one of the #1 intake positions and set at zero lash. (The rocker shaft must be retorqued to specification and the remaining valvetrain must be in place.)
2. Position the dial indicator (with long plunger) parallel to the valve ste and on the surface of the spring retainer.
3. Rotate crankshaft, in the CW direction, to maximum #1 valve lift and zero the dial indicator Continue in the CW direction and check the zero position. NEVER REVERSE THE ROTATION OF THE CRANKSHAFT IF THE INDICATOR POINT IS MISSED, CONTINUE TO ROTATE TWO FULL REVOLUTIONS IN IHE CW DIRECTION THIS IS DONE TO AVOID SLACKING THE TIMING BELT
4. Rotate the crankshaft in the CW direction to 0.010" before 0° on the dial indicator. Record the number (A) from the degree wheel.
5. Continue in the CW direction to 0.010" after 0° on the indicator. Record the number (B) from the degree wheel.
6. Intake camshaft centerline is (A+B) /2.
7. Repeat steps 4, 5 and 6 using 0.020" as a verification.
8. Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 on the #1 exhaust.
9. Rotate the crankshaft in the CW direction to 0.010" before 0° on the indicator. Read the degree wheel in the CW direction and record the number (C). (i.e. 340° on the intake side = 20° on the exhaust side.)
10. Continue in the CW direction to 0.010" after 0° on the indicator. Read the degree wheel in the CW direction and record the number (D).
11. Exhaust camshaft centerline is (C+D)/2.
12. Repeat steps 9, 10 and 11 using 0.020" as a verification.
13. Return engine to running configuration.
Note: it may be difficult to obtain 0.010" or 0.020" exactly. It is acceptable to use a reading between these numbers. The same readin must be used for before and after 0".
Written by (not provided by)
B. A. KACHADORIAN 04/30/90
We strive for accuracy but we are not necessarily experts or authorities on the subject. Neither the author nor Allpar.com / Allpar, LLC may be held responsible for the use of the information or advice, implied or otherwise, on this site. This page is offered “AS IS” and without warranties. By reading further, you release the author and Allpar, LLC from any liability.
More Mopar Car and Truck News
Dodge Demon hints... • FCA Pays down debt by $1.8 billion • 2017 Compass (MP) Info