Jim Choate turned up numerous new trademark applications by Chrysler, including some that show new directions.
- Torqueflite. The beloved transmission that combined rugged durability with efficiency, used by luxury European automakers as well as Chrysler, may lend its name to the new eight or nine speed automatics.
- Selec-Speed, a vehicle speed controller for off-road driving, is presumably meant for Jeeps.
- Skydome is presumably to be used for large sunroofs.
- Jeep Arctic is presumably to be a Wrangler model, but could be the name of the Liberty replacement.
- EcoVoyager is intended for a concept car; Voyager was the name of the Plymouth minivan, and is still used by Chrysler for its export vans (Chrysler and Lancia Voyager). A concept Chrysler crossover by this name was shown in 2008.
- Scamp, the Plymouth version of the Dart Swinger and an Omni-based pickup, has been registered for cars; it may be applied to the B-sized Fiat import, or to the new C-sized Avenger replacement. Our bet is on the B-sized import; but it could also be applied to a light pickup.
A possible new Viper badge was also shown:
Dodge and SRT are rejoining the Trans Am Series, with Miller Racing fielding two new Dodge Challengers at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on August 15 and 16. Driving will be four-time series champion Tommy Kendall, making his first Trans Am start since 2004 in the TA2 series class. The cars appear to be driven by 5.7 liter Hemi engines. [...]
Though the Ram 1500 just had major upgrades, another refresh is due in 2017, to deal with the new F-150s and a possible Chevrolet Silverado update. So far not much is known about these trucks, except that they will likely include the Pentastar engine upgrade, might include the rumored 5.7 Hemi V8 upgrade, and are likely to have undergone weight reduction therapy [...]
With the supercharged 6.2 Hemi delivering 707 horsepower to the Dodge Charger and Challenger, the Viper boys are reportedly looking for ways to get back on top. While the Viper may be superior on a tight racing course, the straight-line performance of Charger and Challenger, in five-seaters with all the amenities, large trunks, and automatic or manual transmissions, is a challenge for Team [...]
Artist suzq044 has provided an alternative view of what the 2017 Ram may look like. This refresh will counter new F-150s. The trucks will almost certainly include the V6 engine upgrade, might include the rumored 5.7 Hemi V8 upgrade, and are likely to have more high-strength steel and aluminum to cut weight. The 2017 Ram is also likely to have aerodynamic improvements to increase highway [...]
It has been years since Allpar first reported on the future launch of a new Jeep Wagoneer, and the dropping of the Dodge Caravan. With Wagoneer on the books, Chrysler planners may have had mixed feelings about the sudden success of the Dodge Durango. They wanted to drop the Durango for a more-profitable Wagoneer (essentially a Durango with the Grand Cherokee suspension design [...]