Cars by name
Trucks and Jeeps
Engines / Trans
Repairs / Fixes
Tests and Reviews
American Motors Corporation built what is now the FCA Brampton plant in 1986, just one year before AMC and Chrysler Corporation merged. Then called “Bramalea,” it was a state of the art facility which was supposed to replace their existing, older Brampton plant — then building the Jeep Wrangler “YJ.”
When the Jeep Wrangler was moved back to Toledo in 1992, Bramalea was renovated, renamed to Brampton Assembly, and then started to churn out large cars — the LH Chrysler Concorde, Dodge Intrepid, and Eagle Vision, followed by the Chrysler LHS and New Yorker. The Chrysler 300M was added in April 1998, as a 1999 model. (Thanks, Jerry Scholten.)
Brampton has continued to make the company’s large cars, as the sole site making the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum, Charger, and Challenger.
Brampton has around 3 million square feet of floor space on 269 acres of land; as of 2010, there were 20 miles of conveyors, 581 robots, and 2,723 employees (2,558 hourly) on two shifts (including the stamping plant). The entire plant was represented by CAW local 1285; the CAW is now part of Unifor.
A satellite stamping plant finished in 1991 has 230,000 square feet of floor space. Brampton’s stamping plant made (in 2010) 96 body stampings, using five automatic transfer presses, one blanking line, and 90 die sets, with four-minute die changes. Automatic guided vehicles bring blanks to the press lines, and sheet metal is stored and retrieved using an automated system with 3,600 storage containers.
Chrysler Canada has had a larger market share than Chrysler in the U.S. for three years out of four from its founding through 1983, and outsold Ford in 1976, 1982, and 1983.
Techs and Workers
Chrysler 1904-2018 •
Spread the word via Tweet or Facebook!
More Mopar Car and Truck News