Allpar Forums banner

Saw something quite concerning at the local dealer today!

10K views 80 replies 30 participants last post by  hmk123 
#1 ·
We were looking at Gladiators and Wranglers on the lot of the local dealer today. One of the Wranglers had a sign inside that this vehicle was quarantined until 5/17/20 due to possible exposure to Covid19. Very strange! Did someone who worked on the line this Jeep came off of get diagnosed? It would seem so. Are they obligated to inform a potential buyer, after that date expires?

Reactions: Hemidakota
#49 ·
My 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan sat a nearly a year on the lot. It had summer gas in it when I purchased it on a very cold day. It ran like crap and I got a really good deal. Two tanks of gas fixed it.

Right now I'm keeping my eye on a 2018 Challenger GT at the dealer where I bought my Avenger. They're starting to get similar Challengers as lease returns.

#51 ·
FL is once again on the rise, they just hit their 2nd peak. Opening up too soon was the big mistake that I predicted it would be.

#56 ·
I think we're seeing the Memorial Day spike because people are incapable of following instructions. We've been out and to restaurants and to Disney Springs and for the mopst part things are running extremely well. The knuckleheads are causing the problems. Now the protest spike will kick in soon.

#54 ·
Then you’ve got poorly thought out system like PA. Red, yellow, green. My area is now green, which implies that it’s over. But green only means a few more things open and many restrictions are still in effect.

Colrs probably should have been red, orange, yellow, green with yellow (use caution) in effect now and green (all ok) out in the future.

#55 ·
What difference does a color code make when people are doing whatever the heck they want anyway? Just stay the heck away from me and my family.

#58 ·
And to add to my previous post, some news reporting shoulders a lot of blame too. Predictions of millions dead in the US. Never mentioning China when comparing numbers. Yes, a 100k people dead is a big deal. But the news made people expect worse. And they are still trying the scare tactics, saying the second wave will be much deadlier.

They do this with hurricanes too. Every storm is going to be the storm of the century. So people evacuate and it’s nothing. Then they don’t evacuate when it really is a bad storm.

#59 · (Edited)
There aren’t sufficient data points on many of these things, yet, to build accurate predictions.

Per the second wave being deadlier, that was indeed the case with the 1918 pandemic. Those are the only global pandemic records we have to draw projections from at this point.

I wouldn’t necessarily accuse the media of making things worse on purpose. But they can sensationalize things, or simplify things to the point that much of the context gets lost and open to all sorts of interpretation. Of course, our own attention span, too, has been shrinking. To the point that nowadays a video more than 5 minutes is considered “too long.”

#60 ·
There was a prediction of 100K to 200K dead, with precautions. That has proven to be ballpark accurate.
There was a prediction of 2M dead if NO precautions were taken. Given the high death rates in countries with poor medical care, limited or no precautions, that looks very believable, too. I don't see any exaggeration in the media. It was a sane warning.

#61 ·
Predictions like:
* 81% of the US infected.
* Hospitals choosing who gets to live and who dies.
* Manipulating numbers to get high death rates (i.e., not counting the large percentage of asymptomatic cases)
* Georgia reopened too early (in April) and will be swamped with new cases - instead cases remained steady and did not skyrocket.

Don't get me wrong. I believe people need to take actions to protect themselves and others. But crying "wolf" repeatedly like they do with every hurricane (or even the tropical storm Cristobal which the news was covering as if it was a Category 5 storm) harms both the public and the reputation of the news providers.

Reactions: wtxiceman
#66 ·
This reaction to Covid19 policies reminds me a lot of the reaction to the "Y2K Bug" in 2000. I worked only a little on it (I had to do an audit on projects that I'd worked on to show that they didn't rely on date calculations), but I have friends who spent years on projects for this in the banking and telecoms sectors.

In the end, Y2K was a non-event - no planes fell out of the sky, nobody's insulin pump put them in a coma, the ATMs kept working and so did the phones. And so the usual suspects started to claim it was all a money-making scam... which conveniently ignored that Y2K was a non-event precisely because years of effort had been put in to audit billions of lines of source-code and then fix any problems in order to make sure it would be a non-event.

#67 ·
But yet Florida's increase wasn't that huge and might (if the trend of the last few days holds) be declining.
Cases are still rising steadily since they reopened. But the other telling feature is, despite trying to hide covid-19 deaths as 'pneumonia' in FL, GA, TX, cases of covid-19 are still at least level for the past two months.

#68 ·
Here in FL, they're being very shady about the deaths in nursing home and long term care facilities. I'd be willing to bet that there are a couple of thousand between the two that haven't been counted. The main thing is that this is far from being over and I'm not taking any chances. Both my wife and daughter are immuno compromised due to health issues and medications. I wear my mask when I'm around ANYONE outside of my house. I realize that's not 100% safe, but that's an impossible number to ask for. I wash my hands and use a lot of hand sanitizer too. I'm sure it looked weird to a lot of neighbors when I was helping Sean with the Sonic, but I didn't and don't care what anyone elses opinion is. I'm doing what I think I can to protect my family.

#70 ·
What some are forgetting when considering the reaction to this virus is that it is a completely new virus...though closely related to the SARS virus. We didn’t know exactly how it was transmitted (we’re still trying to fully understand all aspects of that), what the proper precautions were for both healthcare workers, and the public, we had no effective medications and no vaccine (we now have 1 somewhat effective drug, Remdesivir, but only a limited supply). We didn’t know how long it could live on different surfaces, or what could be used to kill it.

So, no, the media didn’t necessarily overhype this virus. They didn’t know, and what they were saying was essentially true...it is a very dangerous bug that makes a large portion of those positive very sick, and of those who get very sick, many of those die. It’s easy to Monday morning quarterback now because we can look at it with the knowledge learned from China, Italy, the US, South Korea and others. A lot of lives were lost while we were trying to figure things out.

New York got hit very hard by this, but they also have a lot of major hospitals who could help distribute those patients. We did a lot of distributing and coordinating in Philadelphia. We surged, but we never got overwhelmed, and had excess capacity that we didn’t end up needing...thankfully. The stay at home orders, social distancing, and wearing masks helped greatly with that. I was talking with one of our ID (infectious diseases) docs last night, and he was telling me that having the staff wear masks and goggles has really helped to prevent transmission to the staff, and between staff....we’ve had no staff become positive at work since then. From outside, yes, but not from work.

We’ve learned a lot...and we’ve learned a lot from those in other countries who were the first guinea pigs...and a lot of healthcare workers overseas became very sick, and a bunch were lost. We’ve lost some in the states too...I had colleagues who were intubated and on vents.

This could have been much worse, and yes we would’ve been overwhelmed if not for the stay at home orders, shut down, and social distancing. We were approaching capacity even with those precautions in place. Smaller community hospitals would not have the capacity we have, the medical expertise (we normally draw their sickest patients into our system for advanced therapies), they do not have the buying power we have for medicines and PPE. If this had spread unchecked to the smaller hospitals and the interior of the country, they would’ve been overwhelmed much more quickly.

The next wave, coupled with the seasonal flu could very easily tip us back to the breaking points, especially if the supply chain issues for test kits, medicines, and PPE are not sorted out. We use a lot of the same supplies for influenza precautions that we use for Covid, adding to the strain. Heck, we use a lot of the same supplies for ANY patients on precautions...other Coronaviruses, rhinovirus, TB, disseminated herpes zoster, etc. Those things don’t go away just because Covid is around. Those patients still need to be cared for, and they use up supplies too. Patients with MRSA, MDRO, VRE, CDiff, etc...all use supplies too.

I can’t stress this enough, no this is not an overreaction. If anything it was an under-reaction because we should’ve shut things down a lot sooner than we did. That’s water under the bridge now, and we can’t go back...or get back the people we’ve lost...but we better damn well be learning from this. And until we have an effective vaccine, this ain’t going away any time soon.

#72 ·
Predictions like:
* Hospitals choosing who gets to live and who dies.
This was actually the reality in Italy. They had to enact policies to refuse treatment to anyone over 80. And then they were looking at lowering that threshold to 60.

I like how over 100,000 Americans are dead (so far) from covid and you've got people saying how this was no big deal and over hyped and blaming the media for the entire thing.

#73 ·
This was actually the reality in Italy. They had to enact policies to refuse treatment to anyone over 80. And then they were looking at lowering that threshold to 60.

I like how over 100,000 Americans are dead (so far) from covid and you've got people saying how this was no big deal and over hyped and blaming the media for the entire thing.
You will see that I have said 100k+ deaths in the US is a pretty big deal.
But when the media preaches "fear" of the disease rather than "respect" for the disease, you end up with people not taking precautions.
Fear means you are powerless, so why take precautions?
Respect means you can (and should) take precautions to protect yourself and others.

#76 ·
I really not understand people not willing to wear masks or respirators when in presence of other people that doesn't live in same house.

The masks / respirators limit spread enough to allow to not be totally lockdown.
It is like not wearing the seatbelts in a car.

Actually in Italy is estimated the most of spread is inside families, so the need to identify with tests as soon as possible the Sars-CoV-2 positive ones.

#77 ·
There are some morons in the neighborhood where I live that swear it's a conspiracy that George Soros and the Democrats started to get rid of Trump. These jackasses think that Soros and the Dems got together with the Chinese and cooked up this virus and intentionally let it loose in Wuhan as a test and loved it so much that they unleashed it on the world. All just because of a hatred of Trump and his childish behavior and mannerisms. Man, I can't wait to find a place to move to and get the heck out of here. These people also don't wear masks, attend parties and DO NOT practice social distancing. I keep a mask handy in my garage when I'm out there working, because invariably one of them comes up to see what I'm doing or to ask me to help them with something. I'm done helping those clowns. I have enough to do around my own house to keep busy. Unless I get an offer of a pocket full of money. THEN, I will wear my mask and INSIST on the 6 foot rule.

#78 · (Edited)
"Ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country". Whatever happened to that? People always talk about rights but seem to forget that even in a free society citizenship comes with certain responsibilities. At least that's what I always thought... And reading the above post one of of them should be around how we inform ourselves.

#81 ·
To me the "numbers" are not any less tragic and "scary" than compared to 3 months ago. Herd immunity comes in at 60 to 70%. At 65% with a fatality rate of 0.4% that leads to around 850k fatalities.

What I fail to understand is why we don't have published standards on how to wear masks for example. What kind of masks, etc. If we have U.S. standards for bicycle helmets you would think we came up with standards to help contain a pandemic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.