Allpar Forums banner

Dodge full size SUV?

10K views 70 replies 34 participants last post by  77 Monaco Brougham 
#1 ·
Will Dodge do an full size like the Wagoneer? Also will two size SUV like Chevy Tahoe?

#4 ·
Well they were saying Durango would go BOF, and then I saw someone recently saying it would stay as-is because they just did the refresh. Who knows? Until after the merger, I wouldn’t put too much stock in “plans” that aren’t already close to fruition.

#5 ·
Well they were saying Durango would go BOF, and then I saw someone recently saying it would stay as-is because they just did the refresh. Who knows? Until after the merger, I wouldn’t put too much stock in “plans” that aren’t already close to fruition.
And even then...you should believe nothing that you hear and read from them...and only half of what you see!:D

#7 ·
Durango just got a refresh, so it’s good for now. They probably would want to see what happens sales-wise with Wagoneer before deciding to add another large BOF SUV to the mix anyway.

Reactions: 77 Monaco Brougham
#8 ·
If Chrysler could manage to Make a unibody SUV Durango in the image of a Crossover (Low center of gravity with car like handling), then they Could make a BOF SUV look like a unibody SUV..

BTW Muscle Car isnt defined by the body style of Vehicle. (See Magnum, Charger, Hellcat Durango, RAM SRT 10 )

#19 ·
Sorry but a BOF cant be compared to unibody in handling or nvh, while a BOF is much more adoptable for a number of uses like a pickup truck needs its equally ill suited for carlike behaviour. There is a reson why mother started with unibodies in the late 50´s.

Both Dodge and chevvy has proven that muscle cars, pick ups, econoboxes and ordinary people movers can coexist within the brands general image.

#9 ·
While it is true that “Muscle Car” isn’t defined by body type, it is also true that that definition is too constraining for something like Durango to sell in greater numbers, and for things like Journey and Caravan to even exist.

Stellantis is going to have to re-evaluate the missions Chrysler, Dodge and Lancia have been given. And perhaps DS as well.

#10 ·
While it is true that “Muscle Car” isn’t defined by body type, it is also true that that definition is too constraining for something like Durango to sell in greater numbers, and for things like Journey and Caravan to even exist.

Stellantis is going to have to re-evaluate the missions Chrysler, Dodge and Lancia have been given. And perhaps DS as well.
They could have made Journey work—they just never committed to making it work. It was a great size/utility design, but was never allowed to explore how to make it a performance vehicle.

#20 ·
Can’t Dodge just leave well enough alone and stop whining for products just for the sake of products?

As a performance brand I would think a sports car or sporty SUV would be in their crosshairs (LOL), not a BOF SUV.. and Ram buyers are more than happy with the 1500.

Where are the unique products? They need to sort out their brand direction before pandering for product in new segments if they’re going to try and get back into a segment that doesn’t align with their performance image; all while their once-aspirational brand Chrysler fades further away.

#22 ·
Dodge should care more about getting the Giorgio-based mid-size CUV than about getting a version of the Wagoneer. From a brand perspective, the handling and performance options are much higher there, and it's a bigger segment of the market to play in where most of the offerings are bland, boring, and fuel-economy focused. They can more readily and easily differentiate and gain recognition with an SRT model while still offering versions that are fuel efficient. Much harder to do in the full-size SUV segment, and much smaller potential.

#24 ·
Personally, for the sake of the Dodge brand, I'd like to see maybe a sporty 5-seat SUV in the same vein as the Audi Q5 or Porsche Macan in terms of size, performance, etc. Not that it's my personal choice of vehicle, but it's the next logical step to successfully expand the Dodge brand a beyond the three primary models while still keeping the current spirit of the brand. In all honesty, sporty performance-based SUVs in all competitive segments may be the best way to save the Dodge brand from extinction while using the performance image they've successfully cultivated with their current lineup.

#25 ·
The Challenger and Charger GT packages with AWD do a great job of splitting the difference between passenger cars and utility vehicles. But yes, Dodge really needs such a five seat SUV. I don't know what happened to a rumored Dodge crossover model. Unlike the Charger and Challenger with their heritage and reputation, a new SUV can get away with the 2.0T GME four standard. This motor acquits itself well in the four door Wranglers in our fleet. Dodge branded vehicles also need some sort of electrification, the dynamics and smoothness of the BSG equipped Jeeps and Rams I have driven is great.

#29 ·
Here we go again.

No, there will not be a Dodge version of the BoF SUV.

There won't be another Dodge version of anything.

Enjoy the current lineup for as long as they can make them.

Prove me wrong.
I kinda wish they'd just go ahead and cut Dodge and Chrysler so we could be done discussing that all the time.

#35 ·
Maserati espère se relancer avec 13 nouveaux modèles d’ici 2024 (at https://www.lapresse.ca/auto/guide-auto/2020-09-10/maserati-espere-se-relancer-avec-13-nouveaux-modeles-d-ici-2024.php )
Well in that article (sorry it is in French) Maserati will have 13 !!! yes 13 !!! new models before 2024 that dosen't leave much room for Dodge and Chrysler...
See? Anyone who wanted a new Journey, Caravan, or 300 can just mosey into the Maserati dealership and find something appropriate there! Problem solved! :p

#39 ·
Its simple to make a unique poduct but much harder to make your brand attractive.
- what you need to do if youre not a niche company is to make things for a lot of customers and since the most part of customers are "middle" people you have to have something for them and that is things that they need but with the carisma of the brand.
Thats why though pickups and hellcats can be a part of a minivan making company.
- Most will disagree but i find that "mischmash" can and do work in a product portofolio, and for Dodge its time to bring back Ram, minivans and something small/ cheap like the Cherokee and Renegade ( Badge engineering ). Infact Chrysler should also get their share of bageengineered cars and maybe a pick up and grand cherokee variant.

#42 ·
Can we skip the US/Italy thing, please? This is not how FCA operates financially (you don’t have to believe me; how things are paid for is right there in figures in their annual reports).

Anyone who’s dead-set on finding a “victim” should note that Maserati’s MC20 came at the expense of Alfa Romeo’s 6C/8C product budget.

Jeep and Ram are starving Dodge and Chrysler. This should be obvious.

#43 ·
Can we skip the US/Italy thing, please? This is not how FCA operates financially (you don’t have to believe me; how things are paid for is right there in figures in their annual reports).

Anyone who’s dead-set on finding a “victim” should note that Maserati’s MC20 came at the expense of Alfa Romeo’s 6C/8C product budget.

Jeep and Ram are starving Dodge and Chrysler. This should be obvious.
Even Jeep is stuck pedaling old stale vehicles. Grand Cherokee should have been redone some years ago. Renegade and Cherokee are outdated and not competitive.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#44 ·
Grand Cherokee is ready to launch. Was scheduled for end of November, at LA, but will probably be on-line now.. Given the media black-hole that a presidential election creates, there’s no point in announcing it any earlier.

Renegade was updated last year, and gets a PHEV drivetrain early next year; I don’t know what amazing subcompact SUVs you get in the States that outclass it, because I don’t see them here in Europe. Cherokee, we can agree needs an update.

#45 ·
Would the 3-row reveal be in November as well? (hoping with fingers crossed)

#47 · (Edited)
They have finally gotten serious and are adding some previously optional safety content to Jeeps. It's about time that they did this if they want people to consider them a premium brand. A premium brand that didn't even compete with Toyota on standard safety equipment.

#50 ·
I keep waiting for someone to say, “oh, gee...see, that’s not coming to the US anymore...”. An irrational fear? Perhaps. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.