AF: 00 Ram van B3500 brake part info | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

00 Ram van B3500 brake part info

Discussion in 'Vans' started by NssJ, Dec 27, 2012.

1. NssJ

NssJ Member

Hi, I'm trying to order parts for my van, and am running into some confusion.
    2000 Ram B3500 Maxiwagon, 5.2L vin Y, 4000LB front axle, 8-lug.(8700GVW, Chrysler 9.25 rear)

It seems like rotors are either 5-lug or 8-lug with no other distinction, but I wanted to make sure first.

Wheel bearings & seals are labled 8-lug, w/ 4000LB axle, etc so those all make sense, but rotors seem vague on details... With wheel bearings listed for front 3300,3600,3800,4000 axles, or "5 & 8 Stud Hub w/o 4000 lb. Axle", it made me wonder if there are differences in 8-lug rotors as well. Do the bearings/races make up for differences between one universal rotor & several different hubs?

Also curious, wheel bearings and races seem to be sold separate. With so many bearing options, are the new races already in the rotors ok to leave in here (like universal size), or do I need to order the separate races for the 4000LB bearings and switch them?

2. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

Autozone only lists one part for the rotors for the 2000 for eight-lug applications on the van, be it a 2500 or a 3500. My guess is that what you're looking at is correct.

I can't help on the bearing/race issue though. I just don't know enough about the spindles on these to assist on that.

3. NssJ

NssJ Member

Thanks. Yea, the bearings all specifically said 8-lug, 4000lb axle so no question there.

Rock auto just mentioned there might be different strength(weight rating) 8-lug rotors, so I've been looking around to try and confirm that. Everywhere seems to only sell one 8-lug rotor(per brand), so I just ordered a set, will see if they fit soon enough...

4. TWX

Level 2 Supporter

The Dodge B-series used to be a very common upbuilder vehicle, so for all I know, the older seventies front sections that got used on moving trucks and Class-B RVs might have had beefier stuff. Some were made dually, but I suspect that their parts were all common with the trucks.

5. NssJ

NssJ Member

Is there a good reason why someone would Red locktite the caliper bracket bolts in?
    Van almost came off jack and jackstands...

6. TWX

Level 2 Supporter

Stupidity?

I've never done anything but torque the bolts on my cars and never had a problem. I do get 'em good and clean first, but I use a very mild wire wheel in the grinder so to not take any material off that's supposed to be there.

7. NssJ

NssJ Member

Ok, thanks. I'm used to smaller imports, didn't know if this was a full size American vehicle thing I wasn't aware of...

8. NssJ

NssJ Member

All 8-lug rotors seem to be interchangeable. Each Brand only has 1 part # for 5-lug, 1 for 8-lug.
    Though wheel bearings are specifically listed for different axle weights.

$32 rotors from Rockauto fit and work fine.

9. TWX

Level 2 Supporter

Good! I assume that it stops much better now...

The one I drive at work is extremely grabby and the van panic-stops poorly, but that could be a function of how it's maintained as opposed to how it was designed. It's difficult to get things adjusted once it's slapped back together.