Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

01 PT Cruiser Transmission issue

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Joseph Turpen, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Joseph Turpen

Joseph Turpen New Member

I have an 01 PT cruiser. Im having an issue with the transmission, if I start the car, Its normal, I will put it into drive, and ill press the gas, it will put itself into neutral and rev the engine up, could it be an electric problem with the trans? or is the transmission trashed? Any info could help save me time, and money!

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Have you checked the fluid level? Low fluid level can give this symptom(slippage). Otherwise, you'll need to have the TCM (transmission control module) scanned for fault codes. A local auto parts store (AutoZone or Advance Auto) will retrieve codes for no charge. Might not get all the TCM codes though.

Is the Check Engine Light on? The CEL is lit up when there are fault codes bad enough to cause the transmission to go into limp mode (2nd gear). The TCM controls the shifts electronically, but reverse and 2nd are hydraulic so if it is an electronic fault you should still have 2nd and reverse.

pt006 likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Generally a transmission that slips or does not go into gear means there is a physical problem, not an electrical problem, with the transmission. As mentioned above check the fluid level. When the car won't move in drive, does it move in reverse? Doug had mentioned the best course of action above.

4. bee191

bee191 Member

My 01 with 61,000 miles just did the same thing to me this am without any warning. I pulled outta the garage put it into drive & nothing. It sounded like it was in neutral but it wasn't. I put it in park & back to drive & fooled around & finally got it going again. But I made it a few hundred feet to the stop sign & stopped & it did the exact same thing again. So I fooled around with it some more & got it in reverse & put it back in the garage. I'm waiting on my mechanic to come & do a house call to check the fluids & see what he thinks may be wrong. I'm hoping for good news but don't expect it. It already has a bad computer which is around $1000 to get fixed (I've been driving like that for a few months now with the check engine light on) & if it needs a new tranny it is probably gonna cost more to get it fixed than it's worth. I love my little pt & bought it brand new, up until now it's been a very reliable little car

#4 bee191, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  5. pt006

pt006 Active Member

joe and bee; to add to the above answers, check fluid level first and add ATF+4 only. Do the key dance and see if any codes show up. Have your mechanic bring a code reader and check for any other codes and any other pending codes. Check the bushing on the trans. shift lever on top of the tranny. [verify that the trans is fully going into gear]. Try wiggling the wires and connectors around the tranny and computers. Note: the 01 PTs have a separate TCM [transmission control module] . I believe it is located near the battery and left fender area. ---- Dropping the transmission pan might tell you more about what is going on mechanically with the trans. If you drop the pan, just drain off most of the fluid and don't disturb it. Bring it to an experienced trans guy and ask for his opinion.

bee; how do you know you have a bad computer? And which computer is bad? ----- The computer self diagnosis system [sometimes] cannot tell the difference between a loose wire/corroded connector problem or a bad computer. There are places that will supply you with a 'rebuilt' computer for about $200 plus exchange. [preprogramed PCM]. However, I've read about mixed results by doing this. If your lucky, unplugging the connectors of the computer(s) and inspecting and cleaning and coating with silicon will fix a problem. It might be worth a try. ------ NOTE: ALWAYS disconnect the negative battery post before playing with any electronics!

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

What fault code do you have?
    Drop the pan for an inspection and fluid/filter change. Clean the chip magnet and pan bottom. If the magnet is very hairy, the clutches may be failing. As stated, use only ATF+4.
    If a filter is restricted with debris and the pump can't pull fluid through it, you will have what feels like Neutral. Cold fluid is thicker (viscosity) than warm fluid.
    The old filter o-ring may get stuck in the valve body. Remove it before attaching the new filter and o-ring. Make sure that the valve body bolts are snugged at the proper torque, for some reason I have found some of these loose. This can cause internal pressure leaks.

pt006 likes this.
  7. bee191

bee191 Member

I forget what code it was, without going out & looking. I took it to my mechanic right after the check engine light came on & he hooked it up & the code it threw he never saw before. He did some research on it & found that the code it threw meant the computer was shot & that it is a common issue. He said he couldn't replace it, that it had to go to a dealer to get it done & it would probably be around $1000 give or take & that estimate I'm assuming doesn't incude labor. So I have been drivng around with the check engine light on ever since. I love my car, but I'm just worried that when something does happen it's gonna cost more to fix than the car is worth. Its been ok ever since the not wanting to drive incident the other day, but I'm afraid every time I stop at a stop sign or red light, that it's not gonna want to go again since it just seemed to happn without any warning.

8. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Bee; there are many reasons for the check engine light to go on, like a bad sensor, or dirty connector. Some auto parts places will test your car for free, and tell you the codes. I'd get a second opinion from an experienced Chrysler mechanic before I handed someone $1000.

Doug D likes this.
  9. bee191

bee191 Member

We have been talking & we are probably gonna take it to our dodge dealer & see what the cost to fix it is vs how much it's worth once we get our tax return. I really hate to get rid of it because I love it, but I know it's stupid to sink more into it than it's worth.