AF: 03 Concorde 2.7 water pump replacement | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

03 Concorde 2.7 water pump replacement

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by movinyou, Jul 16, 2016.

1. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Hello All, I have an 03 Concorde 2.7 w/ a leaking water pump. Is it possible to change it by releasing the tension on the timing chain and slipping the pump out or am I stuck pulling everything as one manual says? Makes me wish this thing had a 3.5!

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

This is a big job the first time around. Air tools will make the job go faster. The t/chain and guides have to come out of the way. Set everything to TDC before removing the chain.
    Follow w/pump service procedure starting on p. 7-33.
    The timing chain removal procedure begins on p. 9-79.
    You will need a puller for the front crank pulley. The chain tensioner needs a special tool (#8186) to bleed out the oil to collapse it.
    Do not rotate the engine with the chain off.
    Service manual here (large 61 mb):
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/2002_LH_300M_Concorde_Intrepid/02lhe.pdf
    As long as the w/pump has only just started leaking, the bearings should be OK. If coolant has mixed with the crankcase oil and driven long enough to turn into mayonnaise and damage things, this will have to be addressed and will complicate the engine repair.

3. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Thanks for the info. It is my sons car and I have no idea what damage has been done. I do plan on 2 oil changes after I finish the 1st with rislone because I have read about the coolant infiltration into the oil. Should I change the mains while I have it apart or pray there is no permanent damage?

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I would assess the engine situation first. It may be OK for a w/pump replacement or it may be toast.

5. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Mr. Imperial Crown, You are always such a bright spot in my day! I've got a '99 LHS that's about to roll over 400,000 and can't hardly get 180,000 out of a 2.7. I should have stayed with a 3.5! at least that one I can change in a day!

6. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Have gotten into the engine over the week end and there seems to be little damage. the rockers show little milkyness. I am surprised it was still running as the w/p bearings were completely gone and the impeller was broken off the shaft, ordered a new timing set for it and have my fingers crossed. my question is p/n 04663792ah. It seems to be a bit of overengineering. can that manifold(?) assy. be bypassed or does chrysler have a good reason for it. Thank you for your time

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

That is the coolant heat exchanger for the PCV hoses? You may want that in cold weather to prevent crankcase vapor ice forming in the winter months. Some instances of throttle blade icing could happen without it.
    Is it broken or leaking?
    It is there for a good reason and keeping it around is up to you.
    4663792AH.jpg

8. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Thanks. This is the 1st time I've seen a pcv system interacting with the cooling system. Only you would know a good reason to keep it. I just wish Chrysler would have made all the hoses replaceable and not just the coolant hoses.

9. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Ok , got the concorde back together this weekend, sounds great I might add, as I'm adding antifreeze coming from under the car. It lost probably half of what I put in and gauging where the puddle is, the leak is coming from the rear of the engine somewhere. What is back there that would cause this big a leak? Does anyone have a diagram of all the cooling tubes and hoses on a 2.7? Or, maybe a freeze plug? Thought I was having a good day until this happened.

10. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Leaking out under the intake manifold or coolant hose connection?

11. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Haven't been able to tell yet. Going to put it up on ramps sat., stick a garden hose in the surge tank and see if I can find out. Pulled the air cleaner to throttle body hose yesterday and looked with a mirror and didn't see anything obvious. Hoping it's not a cracked block or head. Otherwise it sounds great. That manual you sent helped a lot with getting the timing back in sync. better pictures than the parts store books. Thanks again for that.

12. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Has anybody had a problem with the thermostat leaking. I traced my leak to that area. I can't tell for sure because the mount for the alt/ p/steering is in the same area. Just fishin here and I hope to catch something

13. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Guess what? I have a leak thru the weep hole. All that after a new water pump and gasket. Am I going to have to tear it down again? This depressing! all this work for what? and it was a new napa pump. Can I just plug the weep hole? I just have had enough!

14. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Is this the pump? They do say OE-equivalent, I wish they just said OE or OEM.
    https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/TFW42041/
    I am always leery of aftermarket parts that say things like OE-style or OE-compatible.
    It is under warranty. You really need to replace it.
    Plugging the weep hole would just dump coolant into the oil and that would destroy the engine.
    Now that you are familiar with the 2.7L, this 2nd time should go much easier. Sorry, I know that brings little solace of having to do the job over again. :(

15. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

For sure it is going back. Yep, it got easier the second time. Just hate the time involved. And, I'll pour water in it BEFORE the front cover goes on

ImperialCrown likes this.