AF: Caliber - 08 caliber 2.0L sxt cvt electronic throttle control light flashed and now limp mode | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caliber 08 caliber 2.0L sxt cvt electronic throttle control light flashed and now limp mode

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by Phillykorean, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Phillykorean

Phillykorean New Member

I was driving home and i did hit a pothole, but while I was driving the electronic throttle control light started to blink and then turned off. I parked the car, and took out the driver's manual and reset it but then once I started the car again the car ran rough, like the engine is sputtering while idling, also I pressed down on the gas but the car's tachometer only went up to the number 2 and the car could only go about 5-10 mph with the d option on the shifter. So I switched it to autostick mode and I was shifting gears but the car would only do between 10-20 mph. This is the limp mode that all chrysler, dodges, and plymouths do. I was able to get home but at every red light or stop sign the car sputters hard and then when I am pressing the brakes to slow down the car gets jerky movements. I have looked up on dodge forums and it seems like this is a common issue, but when I bought the car and I also just checked the dodge recall website everything is up to date. It could be anything from a snapped handbrake cable to a speed sensor to a throttle position sensor or a loose vacuum hose. I am not sure what it could be. Can anyone help please?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. It may not be related to the pothole, but a fault code(s) should be stored in the ECM regarding the reason for the ETC/ckeng light (even if the light turns off). Start with a fault code for diagnosis. You may be able to get this code read for free at an auto parts store.
    If the yellow 'ck eng' or red ETC light is flashing, the car should not be driven as cat damage may occur. I see no description in the owners manual on resetting the light, how did you do this? The code should remain in memory even with a battery disconnect.
    The ETC (electronic throttle control) is a 'drive-by-wire' system. There is no throttle cable. The gas pedal is basically a 'volume control'.

3. Phillykorean

Phillykorean New Member

hello and thank you.

The check engine light never turned on, while I was driving the electronic throttle control light turned on and blinked for a few seconds, so I actually pulled over at first and I grabbed the manual out of the glove compartment, it was a 2010 dodge caliber user guide (it came with the car and I don't know why)

- Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Light • This light informs you of a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system. • If a problem is detected, the light will come on while the engine is running. Cycle the ignition when the vehicle has completely stopped and the shift lever is placed in the PARK position; the light should turn off. • If the light remains lit with the engine running, your vehicle will usually be drivable; however, see an authorized dealer for service immediately. If the light is flashing when the engine is running, immediate service is required and you may experience reduced performance, an elevated/rough idle or engine stall and your vehicle may require towing.

so the light turned off but once I restarted the car it was in limp mode.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

There still should be a fault code stored if the ETC turned on. We need to know what the code is for diagnosis.
    If it is still in 'limp-in' after a key-cycle, that would indicate that it is a real issue and not just an electronic glitch.
    www.dodge.com/download/pdf/manuals/2008-Caliber-2nd.pdf

5. Phillykorean

Phillykorean New Member

Ok I took it to aamco and had them diagnose it

two codes popped up: fuel volume and throttle actuator codes

the suspect was a bad throttle body

which is an expensive part with NO aftermarket availability

apparently it is a very common issue and mine went after 62,000 miles which is pretty lame.

Anyways I purchased a new throttle body and hopefully it will solve the issue.

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

What are the actual 'P' codes? There are actuator codes, but I see no fuel volume codes listed for the car.
    This isn't a 'very common problem', but it can happen. I hope the new one fixes it.