AF: 08 PT Cruiser possible timing belt failure | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08 PT Cruiser possible timing belt failure

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by slant6forever, Jan 4, 2019.

1. PtPooter

PtPooter Member

So I skimmed over this thread, seems the car is running, but consumes oil.

I say run it and add oil, unless it's so bad it's fouling plugs or a nasty smoking pollutor blowing oil mist on other vehicles, taking lots of oil.

My 2007 now has 164500 miles or so, no oil burning, runs good.

If I stick my finger just inside the exhaust pipe all I get is some carbon, no oil.

See if your exhaust is carbon or oily.

Also bad/clogged pcv valve could cause it to burn oil, try replacing it just for kicks.

On my 1965 C10 Chevy truck, in 2004 I swapped in a 396 big block Chevy engine, I thought it was a 454 as the vehicle I pulled it from said 454 cubic inches on the emissions/tune up sticker under the hood.

It would smoke, turned out I had the PCV system hooked up wrong!

Because of putting on chrome valve covers and chrome air cleaner, and not fully understanding PCV system, I had PCV valve on wrong valve cover, and other valve cover plugged and not vented to suck in filtered air, just a rubber plug that says OIL.

I pulled off rubber plug while engine running and heard a huge rush of vacuum, put my hand over hole and felt suction.

It seems the smoke in exhaust went away!

It was sucking up oil because it wasn't vented to breathe, and pulling oil into air breather into carburetor and being burned.

A PCV valve is more important than I thought!

Go ahead and buy a new one, keep driving and checking oil, maybe it will stop using oil.

chuzz likes this.
  2. slant6forever

slant6forever Member

An update - still using a little oil. nothing that I'm worried about.

But I am worried about the amount of anti freeze that it's using. My daughter says that on a fairly regular basis, when she turns the engine off, she hears a gurgling sound, and over the past few months or so, has used a full gallon of anti freeze. There are no puddles underneath.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Any time there is antifreeze use and it's not obvious the best bet is to buy/borrow/rent a cooling system pressure tester. You can find leaks you may not otherwise see on a hot engine. You can verify the system and cap hold pressure.

I had an intermittent leak on a Dodge Dakota that never left a puddle on my driveway yet it was getting air in the system and gurgling. After refilling a couple of time, I pressurized it with the tester and found a weak hose clamp that was the source of my problems in 5 minutes.

Doug D likes this.
  4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

About a year ago I noticed my '06 Ram 1500 Hemi (250K miles at the time) was losing antifreeze. At first I could not find any tell tale signs - checked all the hoses, clamps, etc. Then one day I happen to notice a small drop of fluid on the cross member (almost directly below the water pump). Started checking around the water pump and sure enough there was weepage around the top of the water pump (seal was failing). As it was middle of winter and we were in the midst of a cold spell and I don't have a garage, I took it to a local shop. $600 later it had a new water pump, belt, thermostat and fresh coolant (HOAT).

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

6. dana44

Ad-Free Member

When you hear the gurgling noise, when the engine is cool, remove the radiator cap and fill, then fill the overflow up, too. Nowadays people simply look at the level in the overflow and think they have fluid in the radiator, but, if the level has gone low enough it sucks air and that bubble never gets into the radiator. You should also check the overflow hose itself, they can pass fluid into the overflow and when the engine cools, suck air instead of fluid, which adds to the problem. The thermostat housing that connects the radiator cap and upper radiator hose tend to start seeping and corroding, which is the first leak these engines have. I have redone the ones on my 2 2002 engines like four times over the years, and it is real mild, but consistent, which is the first thing I always check when the fluid is low. The second thing is the pressure test recommended above.

7. Srinath

Srinath Member

I have had this problem as well. Thursday going 70mph, and all of a sudden no power, no start, coasted to the shoulder and - it spins fast when I tried to crank but no start. Not read codes but saw the oil light in the dash light up in the last few seconds of coasting. Of course it has good clean oil, tranny is good, water is good, no untoward noises. Cranks fast but no start.
    Car has 240Kmiles and may have had no timing belt service at 200k.
    Cool.
    Srinath.

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

The codes should read, no cam sensor or no crank sensor. There is a small hole you can stick you finger in (but don't), and with someone looking inside it, you can see the two cam sprockets. Have someone turn the engine over and watch the sprockets to see if they are rotating. They might jerk a tiny bit, but they have to actually rotate. If they don't rotate, it's the timing belt.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  9. Srinath

Srinath Member

Where is that hole - to stick my finger in - no I wont do that. And is it visible with starter spinning the motor ?
    Cool.
    Srinath.

10. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

It's on the front of the timing belt cover (passenger side), there is a plug or cover that you have to remove to see the gears:

(not my PT)
    [​IMG]

chuzz likes this.
  11. Srinath

Srinath Member

Oooo thanks and cranking it if they rotate, that = not timing belt. \
    Cool.
    Srinath.

12. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

If it's fast cranking, odds are very high it's the timing belt. Teeth can strip off them and a visual inspection won't show that. If you do what 06 recommended, that SHOULD be enough for you to realize you have a job ahead of you.

13. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Have you done a key dance to find out what codes she is throwing? That is the first step.

14. Srinath

Srinath Member

I have not scanned it, I have the disabled car in my yard now, its gonna be towed to mechanic.
    Where is the tow hooks on the car, and do I need to remove the front bumper for getting to it.
    Thanks.
    Srinath.

15. Doug D

I don't believe there are "tow hooks" on a PT.

valiant67 likes this.
  16. Srinath

Srinath Member

I mean where do we hook up straps to pull it onto a trailer/dolly ?
    I think I will have to take the front fender off and somewhere there is a point I can use to pull up, it also would help not having the fender ground on the dolly and beat itself up I guess.
    Cool.
    Srinath.

17. Doug D

I would think there would be somewhere on the frame straps could be hooked to.

I'm sure tow truck operators don't need to pull off the front bumper to tow them when needed.

valiant67 likes this.
  18. dana44

Ad-Free Member

If it is sitting in your yard right now, check the codes before it goes off to the mechanic. It is very simple key dance. Turn the key to on, where you see dash lights but not starting, then turn it off, then on, then off, then on. The third on position, leave the key on and look (and write down), the codes that will show up in the odometer.
    As far as tow location goes, there is some subframe you can tie to to pull it onto a tow dolly, no need to remove a fender or bumper.

19. Srinath

Srinath Member

I got P0340, P0420 and for just the 1 first time P1684 as well.
    Will google up what these mean. but you guys would probably beat me to it.
    That was key dance ? I had no idea it has that feature. Thanks guys.
    Thanks.
    Srinath.

20. Srinath

Srinath Member

OK exhaust flow (old known one for this car) and cam position sensor, and 1684 which is battery disconnect - which may be from earlier this month.
    Cool.
    Srinath.