Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'08 touring noise

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by wheelsport, Jun 27, 2017.

1. wheelsport

wheelsport Member

My '08 Sebring Touring has 105K on the odo. I have noticed a low growl which sounds similar to gear noise with top up and windows closed. I don't hear it with the windows open. I have seen some of the latest designed transmissions sound different than the older transmissions which were almost silent. Are the '08 Sebring trannies normally a little on the noisy side?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The noise is from the front and wheel bearings are not the noise? Diagnose the noise first.
    Some of the early 62TE transaxles had compounder clutch failures that included the shaft bearings.
    Carrier bearings are another possibility. Feel for a roughness when turning by hand. You might also see visual pitting of the cups and rollers.
    I think that a remanufactured compounder assembly is available?
    A discussion here:
    5th Gen 08+ 62TE 6spd Compounder failures - DodgeForum.com (at https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan/376273-62te-6spd-compounder-failures.html )

3. wheelsport

wheelsport Member

I from the old school. What the H is a compounder clutch? I checked the wheel bearings on all wheels for noise and the CV joints. There is no noise or roughness.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

5. wheelsport

wheelsport Member

My car is a 2.7 flex fuel. I believe it has 4 speed. What it appears you are saying is I need a tranny.

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Sorry, I assumed it was the 6-speed. You apparently have the 41TE.
    No, I'm not saying it needs a tranny. It needs diagnosis.
    If the growling noise can be reproduced on a lift with the wheels turning, locate where the noise is coming from under the vehicle. Your description makes it sound like a bearing noise. A stethoscope or Chassis-Ear are useful tools for listening. A long screwdriver with the handle held against the ear also works like a poor-man's stethoscope.

Doug D likes this.