AF: 12” screen | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12” screen

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Orsalak, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Orsalak

Orsalak Active Member

I watch way to many YouTube reviews on FCA vehicles, mostly about the new Ram. Everyone loves (almost unanimously except for some British woman with a compass) the uconnect system. They also seem to really be impressed with the 12” screen. That begs the question when will we start to see this screen in other vehicles? The Grand Cherokee seems like a logical next step for current vehicles. The wagoneer I am sure will have it. But will we start to see this screen filter down to other vehicles?

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  2. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

I only see all new vehicle getting it at this point. Don't need to put the money into old vehicles with that since most will get updated in the next few years

3. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if that's going to happen in a post mid cycle refresh for a car like the wrangler. Or a car like the Compass and Renegade which are effectively the economy cars. I feel like you'll see the 7" and nothing more in those cars.

Orsalak, VoiceOfReason and djsamuel like this.
  4. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Don't know how you could fit a 12" screen in Renegade or Compass without sacrificing the physical controls that are there now. I could see a portrait-oriented 10" display fitting in.

The Ram truck has a very wide center column, so it can accommodate both the big screen and keep the physical controls too. That's the right way to do things. I would not like to see FCA ditch the ergonomically-sound (and safe!) physical switches on the smaller cars just so they could claim a meaningless "biggest touchscreen" prize.

UN4GTBL, Orsalak, thebluegoat and 4 others like this.
  5. Mastertech63

Supporter

Renegade gets the 8.4 for 2019 I believe.

Orsalak likes this.
  6. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

Compass has the 8.4 as an option.

Cornupenuria and Orsalak like this.
  7. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

So if the 12" display was an option for the police chargers...or they were testing it in LA...seems the engineering was already done for the 300/Charger and could easily be installed now.

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yep, the big screen is indeed an option on police Chargers.

Hemidakota, Orsalak and VoiceOfReason like this.
  9. Orsalak

Orsalak Active Member

No one said anything about the Pacifica which is what I was trying to weasel out of someone as my family is in need of a larger vehicle and my wife likes the Pacifica. This vehicle seems like an obvious choice as it was sold as a van with lots of technology and is an interior that has a giant dash. Not to mention it would also be a place to put some good faith into a brand that from the outside looking in has been forgotten. (I know the product is coming and I believe it is but most people don’t care about FCA as much as I do).

10. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

My guess is the curved surface integrated systems will make it way into vehicles before the 12" does especially ones with less real estate.

Orsalak likes this.
  11. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

You'll see it in WL (next Grand Cherokee) and Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer/next-gen Durango. All three vehicles should be available sometime during calendar 2020.

12. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

There is in the works a digital dash that was seen in the Portal. A vertical 12-inch screen may be part of the overall UConnect next gen but the onboard digital dash can be changed on the fly by the driver to see and not to see. This is a better concept. The design is more like panorama type from the front of the driver to the middle of the dash as one screen.

Something else beside this new digital dash, FCA needs to incorporate the LED interior various light choices that is alterable by the driver - not just one hue. Something that is found in the MB 'S' class cars and Rolls Royce.

13. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

That what I said the future is molded to shape touch LED integrated to the dash.

Hemidakota likes this.
  14. svevar

svevar Well-Known Member

Forget S-Class and Rolls-Royce: lowly Ford has offered driver-adjustable LED accent lighting for years. I don't see great value in the feature, but it's an interesting novelty, I guess? Would be more impressed if the entire interior color "theme" changed. In Ford's implementation, at least, driver can adjust accent lighting to any color, but the display screens in instrument cluster and center stack don't adjust to match.

Mr. Fusion and UN4GTBL like this.
  15. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Like the original 200C concept?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  16. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Ha I was about to say the same thing. I remember a riding in a friend's Ford Focus almost 10 years ago and it had adjustable accent lighting.

HotCarNut likes this.