Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'16 Challenger SXT: What to do with a takeoff cat-back exhaust?

Discussion in 'Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by WillyDayton_08810, Jun 17, 2017.

1. WillyDayton_08810

Level 2 Supporter

Happy with my 1st Mopar ever-'16 Challenger SXT and very happy to have found Allpar.com.

Stepped up and replaced the exhaust with Flowmaster's "American Thunder" cat back system-so far so good-a bit of drone but a nice improvement at idle and under acceleration.

Question for the experts here-what can I do with this huge take-off exhaust?

Anyone know what years the 2016 V6 exhaust fits? Little info available on line at exhaust company sites. Appreciate any advice.

2. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'm storing mine in my basement.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Mopar part numbers would help identify the models this system could fit. Exhaust systems can vary between years, models, engines and emission markets, etc.
    I don't know how desirable a 'pull off', stock cat-back system would have to a buyer, as most are pulled off for a move to upgrade anyways. As the stainless steel components can easily last 10 years, there may be no present demand for used stock systems except in cases of undercarriage damage. Even then, the insurance company would want to purchase new, not used.
    People can tire of the drone noise from aftermarket exhaust and the drone/whoosh of CAI systems and go back to stock (the stock fresh air inlet is CAI anyways). Special baffles and resonators are used to cancel undesired noise and MDS switching.
    The aftermarket systems don't significantly help with power output and fuel economy as marketing claims say. It probably just sounds faster.

4. WillyDayton_08810

Level 2 Supporter

Thank you Christopher and ImperialCrown-stored under my deck for now!

Yes, it does sound faster! What I do like is hearing the automatic trans shift so smoothly. Didn't hear that with the stock, quiet system.

5. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Friend had his original exhaust put back on to sell his car. Potential buyer didn't like the aftermarket.
    Good thing he kept the original ! ;)

Daytona Dude likes this.
  6. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Weld it into a cool Ram's Head for your garage wall! :p
    IMG_3058.jpg

7. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

That was sort of my idea. I've got the space right now so it isn't a problem.