AF: ??? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

???

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by willrappold, Sep 11, 2015.

1. willrappold

willrappold Active Member

0911151120-00.jpg 0911151120-01.jpg
    Does anybody know what this thing is on the back of the throttle body? (black circle with wire harness) the wires have broke away form the harness in the 2nd picture, i have no codes and the car is still running the same. thanks.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Is this the 1985 Reliant 2.2L and that plug is behind the t/body next to the firewall?
    I don't have 1985 wiring diagrams. What are the wire colors?
    If I were to guess, I would say that the broken wires go to the transaxle speed sensor on the right side axle extension housing at the speedometer cable down behind the engine. The wiring harness may have caught the axle and got torn off.
    It could cause decel stalling?
    http://www.turbovan.net/P1210021.JPG

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Looks like the Air Idle Speed motor. That should cause a problem if broken.

4. willrappold

willrappold Active Member

yes this is an 85 reliant SE 2.2L and its TBI, and the harness these wires broke a way from has a ground connection to the throttle body, the tps sensor is conected to that harness as well. the wire colors are both grey, one has has a red stripe, the other a white stripe. I thought it was the AIS motor as well but i have no fault code for it.

On a side note my speed sensor wiring has been ripped off and in a previous posting I had, someone said that it was a black and white wire that ran to the speed sensor from the PCM, I found a black wire with a blue stripe and a white wire with a red or orange stripe that has a connector but nothing is connected to it, it hides behind the battery, I was guessing this went to the speed sensor before it got ripped off. I wish I could find how the wiring was routed to try and fix the sensor.

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The AIS motor has 4 wires to it. Gy/Rd may be one of them. I don't see a Gy/Wt, but I am not looking at the exact wiring diagram for an '85 K-car either.
    There is a Gy/Yl for the EGR sol and a Gy/Pk to the instrument cluster (may be for tach?).
    The Wt/Or and Bk/Bu is for the speed sensor. You may be able to snip a harness end and wiring from a salvage car?
    See if you can find a service manual and wiring diagrams for your car.