Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'17 Ram Hemi upgrades?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by bramptonbodyshop, Jun 23, 2017.

1. bramptonbodyshop

bramptonbodyshop Active Member

I purchased a new Ram Laramie yesterday and was wondering if there are any chip upgrades or cold air intake type modifications to improve power/fuel economy that would be recommended? Don't want to spend much or alter the truck dramatically.... thanks in advance

2. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

I don't think you have the sport type hood..If you do,you can buy from Mopar a complete scat pak cool air intake system that opens up the scoops on the sport hood to funnel cool air directly to the Mopar cool air intake system.

You would need to purchase

Cool air intake system
    scat pak hood intake system.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The truck should already have a well-thought out cold (fresh) air intake from the factory. It does have baffles to reduce resonance and drone. These baffles might be a small restriction, but it is a planned restriction.
    Straight, unbaffled cold air might sound louder, but you probably won't see any power or economy increase. Beware of false marketing claims, like K&N or Jetchip.
    The engineers realize that there is a horsepower and fuel economy race going on with the competition and they have squeezed out pretty much all they can while maintaining good emissions and drivability.
    There was a TSB # 18-031-17B released last month and # 21-013-17 was in March if your truck is eligible. The first bulletin addresses false code sets and rough idle/stall at cold startup. The second bulletin addresses better shift quality.

AHBGuru and Crawdaddy like this.
  4. bramptonbodyshop

bramptonbodyshop Active Member

Thanks.... what is that and how do I look into it?

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It would be dealer-only. They are software upgrades (flashes) for the PCM and TCM.
    The service advisor could look up your build date/options with the last 8 characters of the VIN and tell if the improvements applied to your vehicle or not.

6. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Trade it in for the 392 or Cummins.

7. TheViking

TheViking Member

If you don't mind spending 1k, then an unlocked ECU and tuner/custom tune will provide a very noticeable performance gain. Especially with the high octane tunes. Most CAI's are probably a waste of money, except for looks and sound,

Jared26 and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  8. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

I was taught a long time ago by a very wise and seasoned auto mechanic that rarely....VERY RARELY can you get performance without sacrificing fuel economy. I have seen this to be proven over and over again...

9. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

- well you can i way..mostly by adding advance to the timing. What you actually are doing is lower or removing the "safety marginal" that the factory have built in to compensate for fuel variations, and such.

Today i Think that the fuel/ hp race have made factory marginals rather slim so there shouldnt be much to gain there and the ultimate prize for the gain is a destroyed Engine..

paullybob likes this.
  10. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Well there i one way - weight reduction.

Doug D likes this.
  11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

IC said it best. The engineers have squeezed the best optimal power/fuel economy/longevity out of these engines. Not going to get much more out of it. The K&N cold air intake setups just rob you of your hard earned money and don't really help in regards to power/economy. Your '17 has nearly 400 hp - just how much more do you need? I have found the 345 hp in my '06 1500 is more than adequate.

12. 2012srtchallenger

Supporter

My last truck was a 2016 ram 15004x4 hemi. I put cold air intake and cat back exhaust it did help with power and gives cool sounds when floored.i have never increased fuel mileage but seat of the pants felt stronger.my next level would be supercharging for best bang for the buck