AF: 185/70 14 inch | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

185/70 14 inch

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by dc8flyer, Sep 28, 2019.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to stop using GPs and all will be well! lol!!

Seriously, the difference was probably there the entire time.

valiant67 likes this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes, it used to be common in car magazines for them to publish the speedometer error. Usually the speedometer read 2-5 MPH faster at 55-60 MPH than actual speed for almost every car tested back in the 1970s and 1980s.
    Police cars usually (not always, it was an extra cost option for them) had highly accurate speedometers, certified to be off no more than 1 MPH at 100 MPH (it may have been a lower speed than 100, I don't have a police speedometer card in front of me now). These speedometers were marked as CERTIFIED and were important if the police car was used to pace a speeding driver to issue a ticket (probably not as big a factor once radar was common).

3. andybuzz2u

andybuzz2u Active Member

Hate to tell you this after all that work, but all those old mechanical drive speedometers were off by a few MPH+/- at low speeds and a bunch of MPH+/- at highway speeds. Most of the time the wire is the issue from lack of lubrication and is burring the inside of the wire housing creating drag and possible failure. A motorcycle/scooter cable lube is better than not any and can be purchased relatively cheap off of eBay, Amazon, etc as well as the tool to lubricate the cable. It is also a good practice to likewise lubricate the parking brake, throttle, and transmission shift push-pull cables at the same time and do it every other year.

4. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Well-Known Member

The old speedo was way off and needed to be replaced. The NOS speedo I bought was very accurate up to 60 I believe when it became a bit less than 2 mph off. At 65 it was close to three mph off. The work was just in pin pointing the root problem but worth the time to have fixed.

I have cable lube from the last time I replaced the cable and the cable is well lubed. I have used garage door lubricant on a number of other things as it tends to grip and not run. Works well on chains, hinges, window mechanisms, etc.

5. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Well-Known Member

I'm putting everything back together this morning and had used a tube of cable lube like your picture but still had a jumpy needle. I used garage door lubricant and the needle is running nice and smooth.

Attached Files:

chuzz likes this.