Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1915 Maxwell Instruction Manual

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Mr. Fusion, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Mr. Fusion

Level 2 Supporter

I just wanted to put it out there that I found a manual for the 1915 Maxwell, at the outstanding Old Car Brochures site. The manual can be found here.

Here's a bit about the starting procedure:
    • Set the gear shift lever to Neutral
    • Set the spark lever (the shorter of two levers under the steering wheel) to top position
    • Set the throttle lever (longer lever) down about 3/4-inch on the quadrant
    • Place the starter plug in the switch on the heel board of the front seat
    • Pull the carburetor air control button part way out until the motor catches
    A 1915 car owner must know a bit about all of the systems that require maintenance. For example, there are about 30 points that require lubrication on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. But battery maintenance is where you really get down to the nitty-gritty:
    • Take hydrometer readings just prior to adding water
    • A fully charged battery will indicate between 1.275 and 1.300 sp. gr. [specific gravity]
    • The battery should not be permitted to discharge lower than 1.150 sp. gr. as it causes the plates to sulphate
    • The specific gravity of each cell should be almost alike and not vary by more than 10 or 20 points
    So, check out the link above, and learn all you need to know about care of your (or any) Maxwell!

(And, truth be told, I really just posted this here for @Dave Z , lol. Feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum...if one exists.)

GLHS60, wolfsblood07 and Bob Lincoln like this.
  2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I have to think that this was why Jack Benny needed Rochester as a chauffeur for his Good Maxwell Tourer:
    http://www.rodauthority.com/news/top-50-tv-cars-of-all-time-no-41-jack-bennys-1923-maxwell/
    The previous Bad Maxwell had a lemony rear axle. The Good Maxwell became the basis for the new Chrysler.
    FCA North America - Brand Heritage – 1920-1929 (at http://www.fcanorthamerica.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Brand-Heritage-1920.aspx )
    Comparatively, today's cars are virtually maintenance-free and pain-free.

Mr. Fusion likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

4. Mr. Fusion

Level 2 Supporter

Let's see if it works for me...