Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1937 plymouth coupe v8 swap

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by 37plymouthcoupe, Oct 6, 2017.

1. 37plymouthcoupe

37plymouthcoupe New Member

Hello all I'm wondering if anyone could help with my question I have a 37 plymouth coupe and wanted to know if there is a v8 mopar motor / trans that could fit my car without having to change out the front clip , I'm looking to be able to drive on the freeway at at least 65mph my small 201 doesn't seem to be able to break out from 55 I'm not planning on racing or going way to fast just looking for a good v8 that can make long trips and not take for ever. Thanks in advance any HELP would be greatly appreciated

2. Best Answer:
    Post #17 by tailpipe47, Oct 11, 2017
  3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

There are plenty of small block Mopars in these old coupes out there, should fit under the hood without any problem widthwise. I'm sure a search of pictures with engines under the hood will prove this, could probably find a 392 Hemi would go under there as well. I am sure though that a 318/360 LA or Magnum would do the trick without any problem.

Another swap that would probably get a lot of comments would be a 3.8. Jeep has a transmission for RWD, and that would have enough power to get you down the road without any problems, and definitely a small engine.

37plymouthcoupe likes this.
  4. pt006

pt006 Active Member

After looking at pictures from the Allpar site [tech/engines] , your car looks pretty narrow under the hood. Dana's 3.8 swap with Jeep trans sounds like it would work. But it is still a bunch of work. The result would be a modern, unique set-up.

An easier way would be to swap your 87 HP 218 cu in engine for a 1954 and up ~130 HP 230 cu in engine. They also made a 251 cu in engine from 1961 to 1968 for trucks. The engine shown with "spitfire" cast in the head looks cool. An antique Dodge site would have more info on this. Maybe someones already done it.

5. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I helped a buddy put a 383 in a 37 Dodge, it was a major ordiel. Sounds like you want something bolt in. If you want easy I'd go with a slant six, if you use a 2 barrlel on it it would be a smooth highway cruiser. If you want more power you could go with the jeep 4.0 straight 6.
    I belive with the 318 you will problems with the fire wall and the rear distributer on the 318. I hate to say this but the easiest v8 you can "bolt in" in these old cars from the 30's and 40's is Fords 302, it has the distributer in front and it is a bit narrow then the 318.

37plymouthcoupe and pt006 like this.
  6. pt006

pt006 Active Member

The engine bay looks too short for a slant 6, and the intake manifold sticks out a lot and high up on the engine. Hood clearance? You're right about the 302/289. But then again, it's a Ford. Even a 2.5 and trans from a Dakota would fit. Turbo the thing. All require motor mount crossmember, tranny mount crossmember, exhaust pipes, shift linkages, drive shaft redo, etc.

voice; what trans did he put behind the 383?

7. voiceofstl

A mopar 4 speed ...The 2.5 is a good idea I belive they used the Jeep 2.5 in the Dakato
    Not sure of the Op technical expertise, The older carburater engines are the easiest for "bolt ins" while the newer fuel injected engines would be cool the electronics are alot more complicated.

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeah, the slant six would be a monster to get in there, too wide with the intake and angle of the block not sitting straight up and all, it's about as wide as a 318. The Dakota 2.5 would be a good one, they all came with 5spd manual transmissions, turbo is an extra option, along with the 3.9 V6, but I think he wants the V8. Firewall may be an issue, with the LA engines (273.318.360), firewall work isn't that bad if needed, I hope the issue would be less than worrying about closing the hood or clearing the side panels of the engine bay, breaking out the tape measure and checking things may be in order.

9. 37plymouthcoupe

After reading all of this great advise I think I'll have to be going with the 302 just because it's probably the most cost efficient engine as far as having to do minimal chopping up of my car and plus one of my buddies has one that he's willing to part with for free , I would have loved to have kept it 100% mopar but I just don't see me being able to afford all the mods

10. 37plymouthcoupe

Also looking for a passenger side rear fender for the 37 coupe any leads would be greatly appreciated

11. voiceofstl

I have seen /6 in these cars. The width is no problem with these. Like the /6 manifolds stick out but they bstick out above the steering column.
    The problem is with the length. You have to do some customization to push the radiator forward a few inches.

12. Tim H.

Tim H. New Member

does anyone know where the serial no is on a six engine on a 87 dodge d 150 truck, trying to advertise if it has matching no's and where would i find that info

13. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

You might want to consider oil pan clearance, most Fords are deep at the front.

The main reason so many older cars get Chevy V8's is they have a rear sump, like most old cars.

Some Mopar truck V8's have a rear sump but most are front.

Thanks
    Randy

37plymouthcoupe and AHBGuru like this.
  14. dana44

Ad-Free Member

All the numbers are cast into the side of the block and are about half an inch tall, can't miss them. One set of six numbers is actually the date stamp. The other 8 digit number on the side of the block can be looked up to get a general idea of years, some were single casting numbers, some were several years, and at the end of the number is the engine size, as in 273, 318, 360, and a dash and number behind it indicates a newer recasting, as in 318-2 is newer than a 318-1, but don't worry about that dash number. The casting number can be looked up as a search of Dodge engine casting numbers and you can find out exactly what the engine is.

Additionally, I will take the conversation about the distributor being in the back as being an issue. No worries, you have a side panel hood that lifts up, front or back, you don't have much of a difference in clearance issues for that, or difficulty getting to it. Now, if you had just a lift hood and those side panels, something my '39 Nash has that are fixed, the carburetor and distributor top was about 14 inches below the side panels, so I did a tilt front end on mine, lots of clearance and ease in maintenance that way, but you don't have to, you have lots of clearance for a 318. Also, if the front or rear sump location on a 318 is the wrong pan, you can get the proper pick-up tube to reach the sump and the oil pan itself can be turned around 180 degrees to work. This doesn't work with a 360, the front and rear pan seals are different size, 318, the same size. and bolt pattern is correct both ways.

#13 dana44, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  15. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

please don't butcher another old Mopar..There are WAY to many of them butchered already.You have options to keep it Chryco.I have a 37 Desoto and I have came to the conclusion a Desoto Hemi would fit,,with some work.So the suggestion of a V6 is a very good one.There are premade extra clearance firewalls made for your 37.I don't know your skill level or your budget,please don't give up and go the easy route.Keep it pure.

16. tailpipe47

tailpipe47 Member

17. tailpipe47

tailpipe47 Member

#16 tailpipe47, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  18. tailpipe47

tailpipe47 Member

I am doing a 318 into my 49 Plymouth and found that I got the most help on these swaps in two sights. The P15 D24 sight and the HAMB sight. Both sights cover all you will need to know. Please keep it all Mopar. A ford belongs in a ford and a chev. belongs in the scrap heep.

19. tailpipe47

tailpipe47 Member

20. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Of note, if a Magnum engine is used, Ibelieve the 318 (5.2) Magnum uses the 360 Magnum pans. One of many improvements they made over the LA.

21. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I do think you are right, the LA 318 uses a larger rear main cap and thus larger seal, the 360 uses a smaller rear main cap, thus can't be swapped backwards like the LA 318 can. Magnums follow the LA 360 rear smaller main cap along with the 5.2 Magnum engine.