Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1937 plymouth coupe v8 swap

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by 37plymouthcoupe, Oct 6, 2017.

1. tailpipe47

tailpipe47 Member

Chevy does not have the only rear sump oil pan. Dodge trucks new and old have rear sump pans and oil pick ups. Go All MOPAR!!!!

37plymouthcoupe likes this.
  2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Most Mouse motors are rear sump.

3. pt006

pt006 Active Member

I'd still go with a 1954 - 1960 --- 230 cu in 130 hp flathead. With a little porting of the block and manifolds and other little tricks 150 hp is doable. And this engine gives you torque at lower rpms, where you use it most.

4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

That would be the quickest and easyest. What kind of transmission is the 37,,,3 speed or the 4 speed?

5. 37plymouthcoupe

37plymouthcoupe New Member

3 speed

6. 2012srtchallenger

Supporter

I put 318 in 39 dodge with 904 torqueflite,it fits fine we did not change front end just made mounts.a friend of mine had forty plymouth and swapped later model rear axle with 3.23 gears and drove seventy all the time with his original six cylinder.hate to see ford or chevy engines in mopars

7. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I belive the 318 wieghs less then the old 6 flathead.

8. 37plymouthcoupe

I will be going with the 318 I've changed my mind on the 302 I really want to keep it mopar I am currently on the hunt I have a couple of vans that I will be looking at this weekend both have the 318 and asking prices are between 500-1000 So hopefully I should be pulling at least one in

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Good choice. If you aren't going to change a whole ton of stuff, a little 318 will do just fine. Find an 8.75 inch rear end, check the width, a Dart/Duster A body may be the right width for what you want. I like the easier highway gears (2.73), does great for cruising, and they are strong rear ends. Going with the 727 trans or looking for a 4speed A833 or A833OD?

10. pt006

pt006 Active Member

I'm not sure if an 8 3/4 rear is necessary, but it is a strong rear end. I like the 2.73 idea for a car. 3.23's work well for an automatic truck. A 904 trans is a little smaller, and a dependable trans for your car. With a lower first gear ratio, it would work well with 2.73's. Even a 7 3/4 or 8 1/4 lasted a long time behind 318's.

For show, a six pack set up with chrome valve covers would be an eye opener.

11. 37plymouthcoupe

Looking for the 4 speed

12. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Well, I happen to have a working 1981 Dodge date code A833OD. I'm in the process of rebuilding the one in my son-in-law's pickup pretty soon, want to keep it matching numbers, so have a good working unit that will be for sale pretty soon. We can talk private if interested, they are getting harder to find.

13. 37plymouthcoupe

Sure let me know when your ready to part with it

14. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Well, I see we are at least in the same end of the state, so that helps. It may be about a month, have to rebuild one first, swap it back into the truck. In the meantime I know the trans is good because he is driving it all over the place and hasn't had any gears grind. I'll let you know how it goes, I'll send you a private message in a couple days when I have more timeline info for you, things like that. In the meantime, track down the necessary bellhousing and stuff you will need to bolt it up. Oh, and it is the long tailshaft, not the short tailshaft. If you want dimensions, I can give them to you, the trans is sitting about five feet from me.

15. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Dont forget newer 5 speeds from v8 rams..or the a500/ a518/ rh46 4 sp autos.
    Also dont sneese over the 9 1/4 axle that sits under many mopars, rams,dakotas, Durangos. , its a really strong one.

16. 37plymouthcoupe

Would any of these transmissions just bolt up onto a 318 without a ot of trouble??

17. dana44

Ad-Free Member

They are options for the 318 in pickup trucks to start with, the 4spd autos have kits available to shift into overdrive (without the computer to control them), which is nice, a simple button controls it that way, I think TransGo has a kit, so figure early 90s for timeframe of the transmission selection/reference vehicles, and then there is the 5spd manual with hydraulic clutch master and slave cylinder, but there should be some form of cable setup that could/should be available or easy to make.

18. 37plymouthcoupe

I' wondering if maybe I should just buy a Dakota and pull the trans and rear end off of it?? Any advice would be a ppreciated

19. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Tell you what, if the width is good, a first generation Dakota, around 1992-1996, you can have rear end, 5spd Getrag with hydraulic clutch and most likely a Magnum 5.2 or 5.9. What I would do, if the width is close (within two inches offset wheels would fix that in the rear end, but then I would take and make a cardboard pattern of your Plymouth firewall, put it on a Dakota fire wall, adjust pedal locations to the trans hump and floorboard, then use the Dakota firewall for all the pedal mountings, then the floor and trans tunnel/cutout for 5spd and as much Dakota floorboard possible, so you can have as much as possible to mount all the Dakota firewall items (clutch master cylinder, brake and booster and throttle, engine bump if needed, trans hump, all the important metal fitting garbage you don't want to have to do), Want rack and pinion? It's part of the truck, so there's that, too!

20. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Shortening a rearaxle isnt the hardest thing to do.
    - going magnum also means going with all Electronics, lack of a mech speedo drive etc.
    Do the research first and also evaluate if you can choose a 3g hemi drivetrain instead, its much better than the magnum.
    I belivie that its a much better aftermarket support for Electronics for the 3g hemi, magnums really never got popular and aftermarket Electronics isnt available.

But now were getting really away from what we started with...
    - get a 1g ( 241?- 392) hemi and trans
    - or just get a bigger six, thats a really nice idea.