Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1952 Nash Statesman cost when new

Discussion in 'AMC, Eagle, Hudson, Nash, Willys' started by Scrounge, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

While going though some boxes in the attic cubbyhole, I happened across some documentation for a 1952 Nash Statesman 2-door sedan that Dad bought new from a dealership in Detroit. I sold the owner's manual to a used book seller (it was in rough shape), but kept the Owner's Service Policy, the sales receipt, and the insurance policy. The car's total cost was $2602.61, with a base price of $1947.40, factory installed options (weather-eye, foam cushions, cruising gear, two tone paint, reclining seat and Solex glass) totaling $249.10, dealer installed options (radio and antenna) totaling $98.45, a line called “D. and H. (and Fed. Tax or E.O.H.)” costing $178.00, freight or transportation $41.00, other taxable charges $1.35, sales tax $75.46, license fee $20.85, and title transfer fee $1.00. They gave him $1180.61 for his trade-in, a 1950 Dodge 2-door sedan, and another $22.00 was knocked off for “Cash on Deposit”. His monthly payment was $65.35; given the balance due, I'm guessing he made payments for 2 years. His insurance premium was $58.20 for body injury, property damage, and comprehensive coverage. Don't know if that was every 6 months or per year. According to the policy, the dealer's cost for the car was $1624.00.

This was the car that Dad had when he married. He must have liked the make, because he bought a new Nash Statesman in 1955, a new Rambler American in 1959, and a used '62 Rambler Classic in 1963.

2. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

My Dad had a 1955 Nash Statesman also. We lived in Detroit at the time but I can't remember what dealer he bought it from.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I think that the Statesman was the mid-level 'bathtub' Nash. I remember the Nash-Healy sports model and the top of the line Nash Ambassador.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Statesman
    I looked at a couple back in the 1980's and they looked good from the outside, but the iron worms had done their damage underneath.

4. Scrounge

Correct, the Statesman was Nash's mid-range model. The Nash-Healy was more of a specialty vehicle; the Rambler was at the bottom of the line. The Ambassador was basically a Statesman with a longer front end.

The 1955 Statesman was essentially the same as the 1952 model. The headlights were moved inside of the grille, but I don't know what else was changed.

5. Scrounge

The dealer was Charlie's Nash, 9045 Livernois in Detroit.