Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1956 DeSoto Diplomat - Vehicle Info / History

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by Dakiwi, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Dakiwi

Dakiwi New Member

Hi All,

I own a 1956 DeSoto Diplomat DeLuxe (SP28-1)

It is a Canadian built/export version of the Plymouth Savoy P28-2. I believe they were exported to NZ, Australia, UK, India and South Africa. Only 3 were exported to New Zealand in 1956, one of which is mine.
    Sometime in the last 60 years the Vehicle ID / Info plate has been lost - i.e. factory codes for engine, paint etc. All I have is the vehicle serial number.

Does anyone know who I could contact to obtain original factory data for my car?

Thanks in advance,
    Dakiwi

NZ 20160717_080127a.jpg

71Charger_fan likes this.
  2. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I was going to mention the Chrysler Historical Society for Build Records, but noticed that Canadian-built vehicles aren't included:
    FCA North America - Historical Services - Build Records (at http://www.fcanorthamerica.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Build-Records.aspx )
    The state of the Chrysler Historical Society is now unknown to me as they were closely tied to the now-closed Museum. The bankruptcy and subsequent budgeting has sadly affected the company's support of Legacy and historical products these past few years.

The other suggestion that I have would be the WPC club. They might have a back-issue covering this very year car. The articles usually covered numbers, options and interesting trivia when that information was available to the author. I know that Exports and Canadian-built vehicles were the subject of the monthly magazine from time to time.
    The fellowship, common mission and extensive resources of this club made it very worthwhile for me to become a member:
    WPC Home - the World's Largest Chrysler Products Club ! (at https://www.chryslerclub.org/index.html )

4. Dakiwi

Dakiwi New Member

Thank you for the feedback Bearhawke / ImperialCrown.

I will try the WPC.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

If you don't have them already, a 1956 Plymouth factory shop manual and 1956 Mopar passenger car parts catalog would likely give good decoding information for the VIN and Body ID plates. Look for these:

98819-01.jpg

1955-58MoParCarFALRPBSet.jpg

I have found good used, worn but complete manuals to be a good value. Even if the covers are missing, the information inside can be priceless when owning an old vehicle.

6. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Even that can be sticky: a few weeks ago I attempted to decode the VIN on a 1969-70 Dodge Phoenix (RHD Ply Fury) and, the Aussie built car's VIN was entirely different than ours. OTOH: I decoded the VIN on a ca 1968 Plymouth Barracuda V8 built in Hammtramck (sp) for sale in the UK; typical USA alphanumerics on that A body.

7. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

If you're not already, you should sign up at forwardlook.net.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  8. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I have an old Climers book that covers UP TO 1955 models. I don't know if it would be of any help. I don't even remember what type of information is in it. I don't think much changed between 55 and 56 though. I'd be happy to look some things up for you if you tell me what you're looking for.