Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1956 Plymouth Savoy brake drums

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by Dad-Par, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Dad-Par

Dad-Par Member

Hello, Good Morning! Joined after buying and, with your help, restoring a '64 Belvedere, but now looking at a '56 Plymouth Savoy 2 dr sedan 230 - 6, w/Powerflite auto trans. Have not purchased yet, would like to check out parts avail first. Seem to be having difficulty locating front 10" brake drums and front shocks (spring over) for this car. Are they avail? And does this car have u-joints or cv type on drive shaft. Every time I look up u-joints (anywhere), if anything comes up it's a cv joint repair kit. And other than a trans pan gasket that is avail, is there a 'filter kit' (does trans have a filter?) Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

3. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

You might want to follow this thread in this forum "Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban". He updated a lot of things if you do not want concurs. Lots of pictures to go with it.

Bearhawke likes this.
  4. Dad-Par

Dad-Par Member

Thanks 68RT

5. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

Since I went with modified Corvette shocks on the front of my '55, I have a pair of NORS front shocks I didn't use if you buy the '56.

6. Dad-Par

Dad-Par Member

Thx 71Charger-fan, will keep in mind.

7. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

I used Corvette shocks on my '56. The only mod they need is slightly enlarging the slot for the lower mounting bolt.

Due mostly to the limited availability of aftermarket parts for '55-'56 Plymouths, I made lots of mods on mine.

https://56plymouth.blogspot.com/

8. Dad-Par

Dad-Par Member

Thx GaryS