AF: 1964 CANADIAN VALIANT/DODGE DART | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1964 CANADIAN VALIANT/DODGE DART

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by TONY MIELLA, Sep 11, 2018.

1. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

I AM DESPERATELY IN NEED IN TRANSMISSION PARTS AND/OR INFORMATION ON MY CAR. IT IS AN ORIGINALLY RESTORED 1964 CANADIAN VALIANT. IT HAS BEEN IN TWO TRANMSISION SHOPD AND STILL IS IN THE SECOND ONE. THE CAR HAS VIRTUALLY BEEN OUT-OF-COMMISSION FOR TWO YEARS THIS OCTOBER.
    WE CAN NOT FIND THE SECOND GEAR SYNCHRONIZER KIT OR SECOND GEAR FOR THE CAR. WHEN AT THE FIRST SHOP, WE WERE SOLD A903 TRANSMSISSION PARTS. WE HAD REQUESTED NP903 PARTS BUT WERE TOLD THAT WAS THE HEAVY DUTY DODGE TRUCK TRANS. MY RESEARCH INDICATES THAT THE PARTS WE NEED ARE FOR THE NP903 TRANS.
    1) I NEED TO KNOW WHERE I MIGHT PURCHASE THAT KIT (PART #BK299WS. MAKCO IN FLORIDA SEEMS TO BE OUT OF BUSINESS).
    2) CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE SECOND GEAR FOR THE A903 IS THE SAME FOR THE NP903 TRANNY; AND WHERE I CAN FIND THAT PART.
    3) CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY INFO ABOUT MY TRANSMISSION - THE NUMBERS ON THE CASE DON'T SEEM TO MATCH ANYTHING IN THE STATES.
    MY CAR HAS A 3-SPEED ON-THE-TREE (ON THE COLUMN) MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. What is the numbers on the case? Were you given any Mopar part numbers for what you need?

3. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

The numbers don't appear to match any USA numbers. Some are barely readable.
    I still think the problem is that the first transmission shop got the wrong parts. The receipt clearly states that the parts they provided are for the A903 transmission. My research shows that is the heavy duty transmission for Dodge pickups, 1964. The parts I believe I need are for the NP903 transmission. The synchro kit # is BK299WS. I have been unable to find a part number for second gear. I need to know if the second gear they sold us is also wrong. Are the A903 & NP903 second gears the same or different??? This company in Florida has several different names and appears to be OUT OF BUSINESS. Can't get hold of them.
    NP903 Manual transmission parts (at http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/MTP-NP903.html )

4. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

I appreciate your help. However, I Don't know how many teeth are on second gear. You seem to be falling into the same trap. I need parts for the LIGHT DUTY car transmission, not the heavy duty trans. I think that is wherein the problem lies. I was told that when those WRONG parts were installed, there was a SPACE on the INPUT shaft. There is NOT supposed to be a space on the input shaft. I only know hat I have been told. I know NOTHING about transmissions, other than the fact that this was a transmission that was in a whole lot of Valiants & Darts in the 60s. I can not believe parts are unavailable for this transmission.

5. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The 170 cu.in. is the light-duty transmission. The 2nd gear synchro kit is Mopar # 2464838. You can Google that for possible sources. I provided a link that I found by Googling: 'Mopar 2464838'.

I have no aftermarket look-up or cross-reference. Aftermarket part numbers are fairly meaningless to me. Sometimes looking up a Mopar number on Google will show you alternative part numbers.

The Mopar parts catalog only lets me determine the correct 2nd gear by tooth count. Is the trans together or apart?

7. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Well, I can sympathize with you, but I can absolutely believe that there are no parts available for a 54-yr old transmission.

8. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

The only numbers I had INITIALLY were that there were TWO tranmissions for this application: an A903 & an NP903 transmission. We were sold the synchro kit and second gear for the A903. From the research I have done (and I know nothing about transmissions), that is the WRONG transmission. That is the heavy duty (truck) transmission. I need parts for the LIGHT DUTY CAR transmission (NP903).

I checked out the link you provided previously, and they don't have the parts; BUT THANK YOU JUST THE SAME. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TRYING TO HELP. THis is really frustrating. I am CERTAIN the parts are out there somewhere. This tranmission was in a lot of MOPARS in the 1960s.

9. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

10. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

The transmission is apart. I don't have a car this am. My wifes car was dropped off for 30K service. If I get it back in time, I will go to the transmission shop and count the teeth on the second gear. HOWEVER, if the second gear that was sold (A903) is DIFFERENT from the NP903 second gear, counting the teeth won't help. We will get the second gear for the A903 application; and if the second gears are not the same in both the A903 & NP903 trannies, we will get the wrong part AGAIN.

11. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

So the 2nd gear has already been replaced and the original 2nd gear is no longer with the transmission?
    Is there any part number on the gear or on the shop repair order? Does the shop still have their parts order receipt with the gear part number on it?
    Is the problem with putting it back together that the gear doesn't fit on the mainshaft or shift fork?

12. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

THE PROBLEM (SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD) IS THAT WITH THOSE PARTS INSTALLED THERE IS/WAS A GAP ON THE INPUT SHAFT. THIS LAST TIME THEY PUT THE THING BACK TOGETHER, IT STILL WOULD NOT SHIFT SMOOTHLY INTO SECOND GEAR. WHEN THEY TOOK THE TRANSMISSION OUT AGAIN, THE OIL HAD BRASS SHAVINGS IN IT AND THE TWO BRASS RINGS (I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE REALLY CALLED) WERE CHEWED UP; AND THE CAR HAD BEEN DRIVEN ABOUT A TOTAL OF 10 MILES.

13. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The brass rings are the synchronizer rings. Is the 2nd gear itself OK and you just need the 2nd gear synchronizer assembly?

14. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

NEED BOTH SECOND GEAR & SECOND GEAR SYNCHRONIZER KIT. THE 2 BRASS SYCHRONIZER STOP RINGS WERE CHEWED UP IN 10 MILES. THOSE ARE THE BRASS SHAVINGS THAT WERE IN THE OIL WHEN THE TRANS WAS TAKEN OUT THE SECOND TIME. TRANS IS STILL OUT.

COBRA TRANSMISSION PARTS IN FLORIDA SAID HE COULD GET THE SYNCHRO KIT IN 3 DAYS. HOWEVER, HE COULD NOT PROVIDE ANY MORE INFO. I AM NOT CERTAIN OF ANYTHING ANYMORE. I NEED TO CALL HIM BACK TO SEE IF THE PARTS ARE RETURNABLE IF THEY ARE NOT THE RIGHT PARTS.

15. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THE 170 CU.IN. ENGINE HAVING THE LIGHT DUTY TRANSMISSION? THE LINK I SENT TO YOU INDICATES THAT THE CAR TRANSMISSION IS NP903, AND THE TRUCK TRANS IS A903.

16. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THE 170 CU.IN. ENGINE HAVING THE LIGHT DUTY TRANSMISSION? THE LINK I SENT TO YOU INDICATES THAT THE CAR TRANSMISSION IS NP903, AND THE TRUCK TRANS IS A903.

17. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I am limited with non-Mopar part numbers. The best I can tell from the link is that BK299WS fits both a NP903 and A903 transmission. Otherwise there would be 2 different part numbers given AFAIK. Maybe the aftermarket listing is wrong? I would much more trust the factory parts catalog for being correct.

I was looking them up in the 1964 Chrysler passenger parts catalog here:
    1964 Mopar Parts Book

On p. 21-12, see Synchronizer Unit (21-14-1). The standard duty one for Valiant and Dart is part # 2464838. The Heavy-duty transmission uses part # 2464835. So they are different. Those are the 2 synchronizer links that I sent you in post # 4.

On p. 21-9, they list a (standard duty) transmission assembly (21-02-1) for the 170 cu in. Underneath that they list a separate transmission assembly part number for the 225 engine, so there must be differences. They wouldn't use a different part number if they didn't have to.

18. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

That helps. Thanks a lot. However, still have to figure out which synchronizer kit was sold to trans shop.
    Based on what you have told me, then the second gears for each would be different also - right? Problem now is what actually did they sell to us previously??? And where can I find these parts??? Still searching.

19. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter