AF: 1964 CANADIAN VALIANT/DODGE DART | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1964 CANADIAN VALIANT/DODGE DART

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by TONY MIELLA, Sep 11, 2018.

1. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

Based on what you have told me, then the second gears for each would be different also - right? Problem now is what actually did they sell to us previously??? And where can I find these parts??? Still searching.

2. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

I don't know how you found all this info, but I sure want to thank you. I've searched and searched.
    Now, because of all your help, I have all the OEM numbers, etc,; and even places that may have the parts. However, I still don't know what they sold the 1st transmission shop initially. The INVOICE says the synchro kit & second gear are for the A903. If that is/was true, then the input shaft should not have had that gap when those parts were installed (so I am told).

Now I am wondering if perhaps that transmission had been worked on before I got the car. That DOES NOT SEEM LIKELY since the car only had 36K actual miles. It has 38K now; amd I have owned it since 2003.

Could the Canadian transmissions be somehow different form the american transmissions? That does not seem likely either for the reasons below:

1) The 1964 Canadian Valiant is basically an American Dodge Dart. They did NOT sell a DODGE DART in Canada from 1964 through 1966. However, they had the parts for those cars BECAUSE: 2) the 1964 Canadian Valiant is an AMERICAN DODGE DART body with the front clip of a 1964 American Plymouth Valiant, & badges and emblems for a Valiant. 3) IF you take a 1965 & 1966 Canadian Valiant and put them right next to a 1965 & 1966 Dodge Dart, they are identical EXCEPT FOR THE BADGES & EMBLEMS.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP. IT HAS BEEN SUPER HELPFUL.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  3. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Would not make sense to have a separate transmission for less than 30k total production. Front clip change was simple.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The standard duty and heavy duty 6-cylinder; 3-speeds may be interchangeable as a complete transmission assembly, although with different, non-interchangeable components inside.
    The standard duty 3-speed for Valiant V-100 (170 cu in?) is shown on p. 21-1 and the heavy duty 3-speed for V-200 (225 cu in?) is shown on p. 21-3.
    The top cover and gasket shape (21-29-3 and 21-29-25) of the transmissions look different which may help identify which one you have. The top plate of the standard-duty looks almost rectangular while the top plate of the heavy-duty tapers towards the rear.
    I'm sure that the 1964 parts catalog covers both North American and Export Chrysler Corporation vehicles. There is no mention about a transmission being different for U.S. or Canada.

5. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

I can not read the parts catalog you sent. Letters are too blurry & too small. I will check the gaskets tomorrow.That might answer the question (FINALLY) as to which transmission is in the car. I am going to take some photos of the gasket and the case. I am also bringing some crayons to see if I can get all the numbers off the case. Hope to get this done tomorrow.

Been tied up here. My brother has cancer, and it looks like it has now spread to one kidney. Had to go to a funeral yesterday. It has been a depressing past few days.

6. TONY MIELLA

TONY MIELLA New Member

It is for certain the heavy duty transmission. The top gasket is tapered. The numbers on the case: 1) on the tag, the number is 2464915; 2) the other is the date - 5/26/64.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it. It was extremely helpful.

saltydog and ImperialCrown like this.
  7. Bill Watson 2

Bill Watson 2 Member

Mechanically, the Canadian-built Valiant is similar to US version with two areas to watch out for -
    Ring gear - The 1962-1966 Canadian Valiant with a manual transmission used the ring gear from 1961. This was due to Chrysler of Canada using the direct drive Prestolite started instead of the Chrysler-built reduction gear starter.

And the same holds for the torque converter and ring gear for the same period. A friend had a 1964 Valiant that needed a tranny rebuilt. Found out the TC used in the Canadian 1964 Valiant was the same as used in 1961.

The Canadian Valiant was a Dart with a Valiant front clip and instrument panel in 1963-64. 1965 there were two Valiants - the Plymouth Valiant sold as the 100 and Custom 100 with the Dart instrument panel. The Canadian Valiant 200, Custom 200 and Signet was a Dodge Dart with different names and emblems. The Barracuda was sold as the Valiant Barracuda in 1964-65 and in 1965 used the Dart instrument panel.

For 1966 the Canadian Valiant was a Dodge Dart with different nameplates and emblems (200, Custom 200, Signet). The Barracuda was imported from the US with no name on the hood or trunk lid. Also, Chrysler Canada built 56,271 Dart models for the US market. No A body wagons built in Canada for 1966, and although Chrysler Canada built Valiant convertibles for Canada, they built no convertibles for the US market.

8. Millie(cars name)

Millie(cars name) New Member

9. Millie(cars name)

Millie(cars name) New Member

You seem to know your Valiants. If you could fill me in on the sin.L4E 5912778 it is like the dart. The last owner said it’s one of five convertibles built like it in Canada.

10. Bill Watson 2

Bill Watson 2 Member

L4E5912778 :

You're missing a digit on the VIN. Chrysler Canada used an 11 digit VIN only for 1965. 1964 was a ten digit number, same as in the U.S., while 1966 went to the new 13 digit VIN.

L - Car Line - Valiant 200 (Dart body - 111" wheelbase)
    4 - Series / Engine - Premium / Six : Signet Six (same as Dart GT)
    E - Body Style : 2 door Convertible
    5 - Model Year : 1965
    9 - Assembly Plant - Windsor, ON
    12778? - Production number - Should be six digits. Sequence starts at 100001.

The model line up in Canada for the Custom 200 (270) did not include the 2 door sedan or the wagon. Do not know how many Signets were built in Canada, but the total would have been over three digits.

The statement "... one of five convertibles built like it in Canada" could include exterior colour, interior colour, convertible top colour, engine, transmission, etc., etc. Just saying it is one of five does not mean much on its own.

There should be a metal tag attached to the firewall with the following :
    MODEL No. - ALP1 - 27 Convertible
    BODY No.
    PAINT CODE
    TRIM CODE

The "A" in the Model Number is the Engineering Dept code for the model year - 1965.

The Body Number is for nth ALP1-27 convertible built in Canada. So, if the Body No. is 111, your car was the 111th 1965 Valiant Signet six cylinder 2dr Convertible built in Canada.

The Canadian body tag was used from 1935 through 1965. The US style of body tag was not used before 1966.

Hope this helps.

11. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter