AF: 1966 Canadian built valiant custom 200 convertible | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1966 Canadian built valiant custom 200 convertible

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by BrianD1966, Apr 19, 2020.

1. BrianD1966

BrianD1966 Member

I am the new proud owner of this very unique car.
    There is not a lot of information out there on this particular car.
    MY findings so far:this car is indeed a Canadian built car. Believe the car was originally a British Columbia car and has resided in Ontario for the last 25 years as a 1 owner car.
    This is custom 200 version not a signet. Original color red but rotisserie RESTORED blue in color now.
    I have verified by vin tag,fender tag and rad support that it still has numbers matching 273 v8.
    White split bench interior, column automatic,power white top.
    It is identical to a US model dart 270 convertible with the Canadian only build trim ( valiant letters across nose of hood, valiant letters across the trunk, and rear quarter trim minus embossed dart 270.
    This is a Windsor built car for the Canadian market only.
    SO, the car has the US dart front clip that was used on Canadian built valiant in 1966.
    THIS IS WHERE THE CONFUSION IS?? THE VIN TAG BUILT IN CANADA, THE FENDER TAG MATCHES THE CAR, EVEN THE RAD SUPPORT CONFIRMS THE VIN:
    THE VIN SHOWS AND RAD SUPPORT SHOWS AN "L" WHICH IS DODGE DART EVEN THOUGH "V" IS A VALIANT.
    I am of the understanding that in 1966, the Canadian built valiant could be sold at EITHER DODGE OR PLYMOUTH dealers hence no badging on the car stating Plymouth or Dodge.
    I have also the 1966 owners manual which covers 1966 valiant/barracuda with "no indication or reference to dodge or Plymouth whatsoever in it.
    Front cover says car marketed under "Chrysler corporation ".
    Ownership registered as Plymouth valiant which l assume from a ministry of transportation standpoint, a "make" of car was required for registration purposes. But the car is tagged by vin tag as a " letter L not V." Maybe the car was sold at a Plymouth dealership originally? These cars were also sold at dodge dealers also in 1966 only. 1967 onwards the Plymouth name was attached to the valiant onwards.
    I AM VERY INTERESTED TO DETERMINE POSSIBLE PRODUCTION FIGURES OF THIS UNIQUE CAR. SURE NOT VERY MANY PRODUCED OR EVEN EXIST ANYMORE. THIS CAR WAS NOT SOLD THE US IN 1966 CANADA ONLY.
    Any info would be much appreciated.

saltydog and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  2. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Totally Awesome.. I know I will not be able to help you much but do know that Canadian models tend to have lots of little differences. My Canadian 51 M37 PW has many differences from the south of the border counterparts. One of my good friends had a Canadian Ford from the 60's and the only thing on that car that was the same as the US counterpart was the drive-train. Would love to see pictures of your Valiant and welcome to Allpar, do hope you find what your looking for.

3. BrianD1966

BrianD1966 Member

Here it is. Found a bunch of stuff out in the last week.
    However, production figures seem to be quite vague, mostly lumped together with everything produced in a given year as total cars built including sedans, 4 door sedans, wagons, convertbles,etc.

Attached Files:

4. Shane Estabrooks

Wow ... nice car. The rims look like Crager ... wonder what the factory rims were.. Might this be a rare car?

5. BrianD1966

BrianD1966 Member

Yes, cragar. Only thing changed from original was the color. Was originally red. Have the original steel wheels which were color keyed to match the car in red. Car came with hubcaps and steel wheels. Like the cragars on the car to compliment the trim. Not many other wheels available in small bolt pattern. Might look for a nice set of mopar rally rims as a 3rd set for the car. Lol wheels take up a lot of space!

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  6. Shane Estabrooks

Do I ever know about wheels taking up space... Main tires.. winter tires and 4 vehicles in the driveway... and haven't even bought tires for my M37 yet but still have the originals. In behind my garage is 3 sets of tires stacked and tarped waited for season change. Snow is going fast so will be changing tires soon. Do you drive the Valiant all year round?

7. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

That is a beauty! I had an uncle that had a 66 Dart four door. His was a slant 6 automatic. After I rebuilt the engine for him, it would chirp the tires when it hit second gear. Great car until my cousin wrecked it.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  8. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful car!