AF: 1966 Imperial convertible | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1966 Imperial convertible

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by Scrounge, May 29, 2019.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

2. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I saw Jays 67 Imperial based on the C body. It seemed just as nice.

saltydog likes this.
  3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

A true Imperial is a Y-body. The 1966 Imp was the last body-on-frame passenger car from Chrysler. I had the Crown Coupe.
    Quiet, comfortable and stately. Real wood and leather. A near-perfect Midlife Crisis car. :)

ScramFan, Bearhawke and saltydog like this.
  4. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

I bought a '69 Imperial before I turned 30. This was after owning a '73 Lincoln for 2 years. While the Lincoln was a smooth, quiet ride, deep down it was a Ford: I could never seem to stay caught up with the repairs it constantly needed. Mechanically, the Imperial was the superior car, but, save for the engine, parts were often hard to find when I needed them (fortunately, a few '69 through '71 models were still in junkyards). Its 440 was a stronger engine than the Lincoln's 460 (which may have been a slug due to smog regulations). I owned it for 8 years. Both gave me an appreciation for larger vehicles.

Even though the Imperial used the same engine available through the Chrysler line, the rest of the car was different enough to justify a separate division. Its wheelbase was longer through the 1973 model year.

#4 Scrounge, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
  5. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

6. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

I just got this 66 Imperial from Tyler about 2 days ago. Have been watching it in his collection since he got it and finally offered to trade him something else for it.

So far the car runs very good, but it is throwing out some soot in the exhaust when it first starts (normal?) and the leather seats will need some restoring to make my wife want to ride in it.

Very nice original car!!

7. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Tyler, Tav as well as the Wiz; all three men tend to have videos of interest to me :)

mopar2100 likes this.
  8. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

Who is Tav? Tavarish?

#8 mopar2100, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    saltydog likes this.
  9. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Out of curiosity, what did you trade him for it? And has he made a video of it?

Don't know who Tav is. I prefer the Wiz, as he often goes into detail on repairs, while Tyler mostly shows the exterior and interior of his rides, too many of which are foreign. I also like John Ross (WatchJRGo), as he also shows the repairs he makes.

saltydog likes this.
  10. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

I traded him two of the same vehicle (one white, one red) plus some cash. I won't say what it is yet as he may prefer to keep it a secret, but once he does make a video on it I'll post it here.

saltydog likes this.
  11. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Makes sense; one '66 Imperial = at least 2 of anything else.

Did you drive the car home, or did you trailer it? If the latter, I doubt that Tyler drove it much, so maybe it just needs some freeway miles to clear out the exhaust system. If the former, it could indicate a rich condition, and some carb tweaking is in order. If original, it should have a Carter AFB 4131S, which has 2 screws at the base for this adjustment. I think the process is to start the car and slowly screw one clockwise until it starts to stall, then back it off slightly (maybe 1/4 turn), then do the same for the other side.

Was a factory service manual included in the trade? If not, I have one for '66 Chryslers, though it's in rough shape. The pages are somewhat stiff, indicating that it may have been sustained water damage at some point, and some of them are dirty, but it's complete. I also have a few parts from '64 to '66 models, though I forget exactly what: I think a door handle and one of the gauges. If you're interested, I'm not currently at home, and won't return until early December.

12. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

It was trailered. Tyler did mention it was doing this and he said they determined that the choke was always on and corrected that. So I hope you are right and it will stop crapping on my garage floor soon :) If not, I'll start looking at the choke and if that's still working correctly I'll start playing with the idler screws. Those two screws on the front only affect idle is my understanding, they don't have anything to do with the mixture after the accelerator is pushed. That all comes down to springs and jets in the carb I believe. I'm still no carb expert - never rebuilt one, just watched a video or two on how to do it. So if needed, may have to take a crack at rebuilding that carb.

Thanks, I would like to have a service manual if you have a spare. I have downloaded the pdf version of it, so I have that to reflect back on, but having a physical copy sure is nice. What are you asking for it?

13. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My grandmother had a 66 Newport 383-2bbl. It only got 13 mpg highway. I looked at it and noticed that the choke never opened more than halfway, even when the engine reached full operating temperature.
    I figured that the exhaust crossover passage in the intake manifold was clogged, since the manifold heat control valve was stuck in the cold position, and not enough heat was getting through to the choke well to open the choke fully. Since she would not have let me take anything apart (and I didn't have the skills), what I did was adjust the choke slightly so that it didn't close quite as much as spec called for, gave it an extra pump of gas on cold starts, and kept my foot on it for the first 30 seconds. It ran fine that way, and the choke opened fully, and I got 17 mpg highway.

wtxiceman, saltydog and Scrounge like this.
  14. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

On those carbs, the choke pull-off (aka choke vacuum diaphragm) often went bad, and you'll have a hard time finding another one. I remember having to keep the choke plate slightly open with a screwdriver to start the car. If yours is good, the link between it and the plate might need adjustment.

The Carter AFB is a pretty straightforward rebuild, but definitely follow the detailed instructions. The ethanol currently in gasoline will make a rebuild necessary more often. You might be try to find stations in your area that sell ethanol-free gas (E0), though most of them only have it in regular, and your Imperial takes premium. There are also treatments to neutralize ethanol's corrosive effects; some of them also have octane boosters. If you use a treatment without an octane booster, you can find xylene, which is the main ingredient used in 104+, in hardware stores; about 12 to 16 ounces per fill-up should work.

$20 for the FSM, which is what I paid for it long ago. Plus shipping, if mailed. Not sure how much that is for the weight, but I'll use Media Mail, which might be around $5.

saltydog and Bob Lincoln like this.
  15. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

My aunt, who lived on Long Island, would buy a new Imperial every 2 years since the early 1950s. That ended in 1977, when the Imperial was no more. Even though the New Yorker was an Imperial without the name, they would not buy the 1977 model. Ended up with a 1977 Lincoln Town Car, which she hated. She said it drove like a truck. After two years, traded for a triple white Coupe DeVille

16. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

My uncle passed around that time, so she kept the Cadillac until she got a Buick Park Avenue Ultra.

17. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

This Imperial isn't far from there. The original owners lived just a few miles north of Long Island. So maybe my Imperial drove past your Aunt and Uncle in their Imperial sometime in the past. :)

18. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

This Jan. 66 Popular Mechanics issue came in the glove box in mine:

Popular Mechanics (at https://books.google.com/books?id=wtMDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PP1&lpg=PP1&dq=1966+popular+mechanics+7+cars+that+rich+people+drive&source=bl&ots=ooA_XJQ24L&sig=ACfU3U3qkdLXjX8ZGlHzN7_7ZQ0LIrFpmQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJpP2hguzlAhUE11kKHW5CAOsQ6AEwCnoECBkQAQ#v=onepage&q=1966%20popular%20mechanics%207%20cars%20that%20rich%20people%20drive&f=false )

Imperial was the world's biggest sedan and is on p. 96. As an aside, the first Charger is on p. 42.

The Imperial convertible added an X-brace to the frame and came with dual-exhaust.

The Green Hornet's Black Beauty was a mildly customized Crown Coupe:

[​IMG]

The rare Imperial Mobile Director Executive car was a virtual office on wheels:
    1966 Imperial Mobile Executive Show Car (at http://automotivemileposts.com/imperial1966mobileexecutive.html )

Scrounge and mopar2100 like this.
  19. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

Thanks for the reference of the Popular Mechanic, that was an interesting read. Just searched on amazon and found people selling the original ones, so I bought one to book mark that page and stick it in the trunk with all the other related material :)

I bet those guys had a blast building that Green Hornet car back in the day.

I would love to find one of those Mobile Director Executive cars, that would be so cool as my wife could flip around when the kids get in trouble in the back seat.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  20. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?