AF: 1966 Imperial convertible | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1966 Imperial convertible

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by Scrounge, May 29, 2019.

1. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

When I was a kid my dad had a 65 Imperial Crown 4dr. It had power wing vents. This about 67 when he had it. I'm curious, did the 66 come with those as well?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Yes they did. The power windows worked without the key being on also.

3. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

My wing vents didn't work at first... the motor is running but the window isn't moving. Then yesterday tried it again and the driver side now opens and closes, but the passenger side still just hums. I guess it's getting stuck somehow at the seal...

4. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Maybe stuck, but it's possible that the gear isn't engaging. You'll have to remove the door panel to see. The bolts may have loosened from the motor unit; if this is the case, you might also add grease after tightening the mounting bolts. However, if the motor is humming and the gear isn't turning, you might have to replace the unit. At some point, Mopar replaced their older p.w. motors with smaller ones that were used from the late 1960s well into the 1970s, maybe longer, but I don't know exactly when. The '64 models have the older larger motors, but I don't know about yours; if you have the smaller ones, they should be somewhat easier to find.

In this video, Tyler lost a hubcap somewhere:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dfpB6lM4Vo

Hubcaps were the same on Imperials from the '66 through the '69 model years. They're very heavy, and can come off while driving without you knowing about it. I had to replace 2 of them on a '69. I was able to find them 3 decades ago, but I don't know what the availability is these days. If you happen across one at a swap meet, garage sale, or somewhere else, you might want to purchase it as a backup.

saltydog likes this.
  5. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Just saw a VINwiki video where Tyler discusses the sale/trade, so it's no longer a secret. It's toward the end of the 17-minute video, after he talks about several other transactions:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myLo_o9G6CM

He's so far not made his own video about the two cars.

6. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

Surprised he went into all the details. Yes, I ended up paying $20k plus the two Allantes. The Allantes I had just purchased from a gentleman who just wanted them gone as he had just bought an RV and wanted to sell all his possessions and drive off into the sunset. Got them for a steal of a price - thinking $3200 roughly total. Paid about $400 more for new tires for the white Allante and enjoyed driving it for about a week. My wife hated me so much for buying those two cars, I knew I had to sell them quickly. :)

Tyler told me he was about $25k into the Imperial, and he said he would throw in free covered shipping to help with the cost (guessing $1200 value for me), so I couldn't say no just as he couldn't say no. Was a decent deal for me, and I think he'll make a good bit of money off the shows for the Allantes.

I had hoped to hold onto the white Allante for a while and enjoy it through winter and spring, but instead, ended up trading them almost just as I got them. Owned the white Allante for about a week and the red one I owned for all of 3 days really. Very happy with the Imperial though.

Update on this Imperial - the exhaust is still blowing out black soot, so maybe it's running too rich, I don't know, but something wrong there. The gear indicator is still stuck on the far right. The left turn signal indicator is not working. The door springs/stoppers are broken. The back plastic window has a few bad kinks in it that will hopefully smooth out when it warms up. The AC condenser is oozing out some weird black goo. The back bumper isn't as perfect as I had thought - there's rust coming through in a few random spots. The trunk lid has a dent and incorrect paint repair, along with several other spots right around it that need repainting, so I'll repaint the trunk in the spring. Overall the car is NOT on it's original paint job, it has had a respray I believe as the data plate is painted red. Passenger power seat will only go forward, so it's all the way forward and I gotta dig into that now.

Had the Imperial out today though - very nice car overall due to it's originality. Leather needs cleaned and a few more items fixed on it, but it's a good car overall with a great backstory. :)

JA Cumbo and Bearhawke like this.
  7. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Tyler went into details about the other vehicles, too. At the time, Cadillac was promoting the Allente as having the same resale value as European convertibles it was designed to compete against, and went so far as to make up the difference when the owner traded in, but that didn't last long. They were nice cars, but only stayed nice if owners babied them. I saw a few with larger after-market wheels during the late 1990's, which weren't flattering. Here's what Nada says about the '66 Imperial:

1966 Chrysler Imperial Crown 2 Door Convertible Prices, Values & Imperial Crown 2 Door Convertible Price Specs (at https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1966/Chrysler/Imperial-Crown/2-Door-Convertible/Values )

Current real world asking prices range from $20,000 to $50,000. Here's what Hagerty wrote about the Allente:

Don’t expect your Cadillac Allante to get top-dollar any time soon (at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/09/13/dont-expect-your-cadillac-allante-to-get-top-dollar-any-time-soon )

According to Tyler, both of them have Northstar engines, which, according to the Hagerty article, wasn't available until the 1993 model year. Here's what Kelly Blue Book says:

https://www.kbb.com/cadillac/allante/1993/convertible-coupe-2d/

Edmunds asked for mileage and options that I don't know about, so I guessed:

1993 Cadillac Allante - What's it Worth? | Edmunds (at https://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/allante/1993/appraisal-value/ )

Nada is the most optimistic:

1993 Cadillac Allante 2 Door Convertible Prices, Values & Allante 2 Door Convertible Price Specs (at https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1993/Cadillac/Allante/2-Door-Convertible/Values )

You'll probably have to remove the dash panel, or at least a lower part of it, to see why the gear selector isn't moving. On my '92 Dakota, a string came down from it and attached to the part on the steering column controlled by the lever; I recall something similar on my '84 D100. I don't know if yours has a string or something stronger, but whatever it is apparently isn't attached. Or worse, it could be broken or missing. The left turn signal could be a burned-out bulb or a bad signal flasher relay; neither is expensive. If it has emergency flashers, you could swap that relay with the signal flasher relay and see if that fixes the problem. Broken spring stoppers are common in mid-'60's C bodies. Someone might have added stop-leak to the Freon. Or maybe some sort of leak-finder that wasn't completely removed from the system. If the bumper rust is only on the surface, chrome polish can clean it. But if it's through, try to keep it from spreading. Don't know about the power seat; it could just be sticking from lack of use, though it might be the switch or the motor.

mopar2100 likes this.
  8. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

You deductive reasoning served you well. :) They were both 93's. Having the northstar engine, they both have much more power than the 92 and earlier models, but they run the risk of head gasket failure. Funny thing though, I talked with the guy who runs the Allante club of America, and he said he has never run into a 93 Allante that had a head gasket failure, so maybe they are better off than the newer northstar engines. These two cars had about 140k and 150k miles on them, so they were not young on the odometer, but the white one cruised around town really well, and the one drive I took with the red one did ok, but the tires needed replaced as they had flat spots.

I look at the Allantes for what I paid for them - about $3600 total - and value the very original Imperial to be around 30k, so I feel that I saved about about $6K on the Imperial overall. And the back story with Hoovie and Jay Leno really add to the fun of the car. I got the videos related to the Imperial saved on my computer with the pictures of it, and whenever the Allante show comes up, I'll have something else fun to discuss with the Allante club members. :)

Now if I can just get a larger garage to keep buying more cars, I'd be all set. If anyone in the Columbus area would like to cut me a deal on some cheap storage space to help with the effort of driving my wife away, please let me know!! :)

9. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

My second sentence should have started, "Shortly after its introduction...".

Did GM put the same Northstar engine in the Allente models as they did in the rest of the Cadillacs that had them, or was this one specially designed to fit and power the Allente? Given that the Allente was a very expensive Cadillac when new, perhaps they upgraded the engine. I read that, when the 1956 Mark III was developed, Lincoln, under William Clay Ford, vastly improved the basic Lincoln engine that powered it, so there is precedent.

In the video, I think Tyler overreacted when he said that the Allentes are worthless. If he just sells the red one, he might come out even, or at least close to it, on what he paid for the Imperial and its repairs.

You're probably better off looking for more storage space in the outskirts that in the city or its ring of suburbs.

10. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

I don't know about this. I know the Allante had many additional features that the other cadillacs did not, so they very well could have built the engine to be more custom for that model. The owner of the Allante club has had dozens of Allantes over the years, so if he really hasn't seen a blown head gasket on these cars, that's saying a lot! I had a 99 DeVille that blew it's head gasket around 80k miles, but 99 was in the sweat spot for head gasket years.

Agree completely. He always exaggerates about how bad something is or how much he suffers financially. If you watch his show, he sells quite a few cars for a very decent return, and I'm sure he's not paying the Car Wizard the price they quote on the show, AND the money he makes on youtube views, clicks, and ads he puts in the show is quite a lot. Heck, he gets tons of free stuff, like that 6 car garage lift system - didn't pay anything for it. I just hope the Allantes bring in some good money for him on views, as that was the whole point.

Agree, have been looking, but this time of year is tough because everyone is looking for storage for winter. Will see again in the spring.

JA Cumbo and Bearhawke like this.
  11. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The gear selector is a cable operated linkage. The pointer is spring-loaded to '1'. My cable core wire was broken as well. The cable sheath was OK and reusable. I was able to cut and form a discarded heater cable wire to work.
    The door check arms on mine were also broken off. I tried to find used door hinges, then lived with it. Those were heavy doors!

I worked at Valley Cadillac for a short time. The Allante's were a special car and a real bear to work on. The technicians hated them. Their last year in 1993 had the Northstar.
    I was looking at a Buick Reatta down the street that has the front end stoved in. No parts seem to be available for it anywhere, so it sits.

Scrounge likes this.
  12. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

The Allente, Reatta, and Maserati TC were introduced at roughly the same time for a market that was used to buying 2-seaters from foreign makes (except those who bought the high-performance Corvette). None of them sold well; while arguably attractive, all were over-priced and under-powered, until the Allente had the Northstar, and by then, GM had decided to cut their losses. Perhaps the economy, slowing after the 1980's excesses, was at least partly to blame.

Though the Reatta was the most affordable of the three, it cost more than the Riveria, which had more standard features. Buick sold only about 21,000 of them over roughly 4 years. Build quality was erratic. It had the same 3.8 V6 engine that powered the Grand National, but without the turbo, it was somewhat of a slug in the 3,500 pound Reatta. A Select Sixty model is rare, and might be the most collectible version.

Yes, good luck finding parts for it.

13. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

If this soot is wet black water like and drips down from the tailpipe, it is normal for this era vehicle. Soot collects on the inside of the pipe and exhaust has a lot of water in it. Until the exhaust pipe gets hot it blows water along the pipe collecting soot which drips down to the ground until the whole exhaust system is hot enough to turn the water into steam. Then it is gone.

mopar2100 likes this.
  14. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

Thanks, I hope that's the case. I have not noticed if it is wet or not, but I would assume it's wet as it appears to almost have a splattering on the floor.

Do you think a new exhaust would help with this? And for how long? The existing exhaust is way too loud, so I'd like to get a new one installed, but have never done my own exhaust before. Is it something I can do in my garage, or does it involve welding and such that is better left to a professional shop? There's two exhausts on ebay right now for a 66 Imperial - one aluminized and the other stainless. As this car won't be in the rain, I don't think I have any reason to pay twice as much for the stainless.

15. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

You can install the exhaust pipes yourself, if they're an exact fit. But after doing so once, I've let shops change them ever since. They have the tools and the lift, they can bend the pipes to fit, and they can finish the job much quicker. Yours is dual exhaust, and you have an X frame to work around. You might be taking a chance with ebay. Are both pipes noisy, or just one of them? It's possible that only one piece needs replacing, which might be cheaper at a shop than you replacing the entire system yourself. I prefer the independents over the national chains.

16. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

If it looks like splats on the floor directly behind and below the tailpipe AND sometimes there is a drain in the bottom of the muffler, it is normal. Unless everything is updated to new technology, it will do that. Have you ever seen a cloud of steam coming out on a cold day until the engine warms up? Same thing only exhaust runs much hotter today so seldom drips.

17. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

saltydog likes this.
  18. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

Hilarious video. I had no idea the shocks were blown out on the white car. I know they do ride rough, but everyone says these cars ride rough, so thought that was just how they were designed.

Reading the comments, it sounds like he's already got several buyers lined up when he decides to sell one, so I'm sure he's going to do very well financially on this deal even though he plays it off as making mistakes - he knows what he's doing. He wouldn't be living in a nice house with all those cars if he was truly losing money. :)

saltydog likes this.
  19. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

Also worth mentioning, the convertible top on those cars is truly dumb, as he points out. A car that expensive should have been full automatic top. I believe they were just adding so many gadgets to the car with auto-adjusting shocks, new 300 hp engine, cd player, computers everywhere, fancy instrument cluster, soft close trunk, remote gas release, and the fancy body design - might as well toss in a few top motors that don't provide any value.

Even with all that, I still love the look of those Allante cars. If I ever have space and can find a nice white one again, I'd likely pick one up. The exterior and interior are so nice on them, and with the stiff suspension, they corner like they are on rails.

saltydog likes this.
  20. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

He should probably wait until after visiting the Wizard before speculating on what needs repairing and replacing. The nice house might be a result of him previously owning a dealership, and the Youtube videos he makes, which receive lots of views.

Agreed, the cars look pretty sharp. Apparently, the '93 models were the best ones, even though they were the last ones.