AF: 1966 Imperial convertible | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1966 Imperial convertible

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by Scrounge, May 29, 2019.

1. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

I think that is absolutely why he has the money. There's a video on youtube that explains how much he makes, and that video is already old. He makes quite a lot of money on just youtube alone. On top of that, he does other shows and works for Autotrader. He's doing very well financially it appears, which is great for him! I love to see someone do well with something they love and enjoy, and I think he enjoys this. I'm guessing he usually breaks even or makes a little money on these car deals, with the random loss that just comes with the territory. I'm sure he's getting an amazing discount from Wizard on his repairs as he has helped the Wizard get his own show up to make extra money. Then there's the tax breaks based on all the expenses... :)

All considered, he's making great money, making great contacts/friends, and getting to have fun restoring cars without having to get his hands dirty. I would love to have his job :)

Another way to look at it - he's restoring cars that a lot of people would not, and he's being financially driven to do so simply by providing entertainment to the rest of us. What's not to like?

Bearhawke likes this.
  2. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

Reading the comments on his latest video, it seems people are either upset he sold the Imperial, or they are upset he's bashing the Allante cars. Saw a few of the Allante club members post there who were very upset.

Nice to see there's a lot of people who appreciate this Imperial as much as I do though - really looking forward to spring when I can get it out a lot more.

3. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

Another episode for the Allantes that are part of this saga...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8gQl2JLuAo

Looks like these cars turned out to be pretty decent after all, even though there's been a lot of comments of, "there's a LOT wrong with these cars"... guess that's just to get views as usual. :)

ScramFan and saltydog like this.
  4. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

In addition to Wizard's Youtube channel, he and Tyler recently started another TV show, which is mentioned in the video. So, yes, Tyler is staying busy and making money.

Note also in the video that the suspension problem wasn't the shocks, but just one strut, which is no longer available.

He said elsewhere that he receives more views on videos that make him appear to have made a mistake than those in which he seems to have done well, so his videos tend to amplify, or even invent, his mistakes.

ScramFan likes this.
  5. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

This is important to remember. At first I was feeling very down, as if I had screwed someone over with a bad trade, which I would NEVER want to do. Then I reminded myself exactly what you said here and continue to do so.

Received some further responses back from Tyler this morning pointing out the latest video for me to go watch and confirming these videos are doing well for him, so it really does make me feel good that he's doing well with these cars and I no longer have a guilty feeling.

ScramFan likes this.
  6. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

One other point to make - as I have recently learned, these Allante cars have very stiff suspension as the shocks stiffen up once you go above something like 15 mph. So these cars are supposed to feel stiff and not have a smooth ride once you get them up to any sort of speed, even if one strut is bad... the bad strut is probably offering a smoother ride.

7. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Uncharacteristic for Cadillacs, but maybe they wanted a sporty feel for the Allente. I wonder how that compares to the Corvettes.

Which reminds me about your Imperial: when new, only bias ply tires were available, but radial tires were introduced within the next ten years, and have since become the standard. I read that, when an owner switches his older vehicle from bias ply to radial tires, he should also change the shock absorbers to those that are radial-tuned, which should be just about all of them these days. Perhaps this was already done in the past, but you might research.

saltydog likes this.
  8. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

I had never heard of this. Thanks, will have to look into it. As original as this car is, I'm guessing that has not been done.

9. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

The next Allente video, where the Wizard looks at it in more detail:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36I-Tp5wjdg

Generally, it's in the better mechanical condition of the two. I noticed that the headlights came on immediately when he started it. This is what my inherited '08 Impala does, and I have to remember to turn them off when I don't need them during daylight hours, which seems in backward order, attempts to take control from the driver, and at the least, is a needless step. In your Imperial, you turn on the headlights when you want to.

10. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

The wizard's videos went into more detail recently that Tyler does get a discounted rate for the Wizard's shop.

I've watched Tyler's videos for about a year now and just started watching the wizards. I didn't realize someone here had been the lucky buyer of the car. It sounds great in the videos. About the soot out the tailpipe at start up....Is that really a problem? I ask because my 85 Voyager does the same thing, and causes my ladders and air compressor which are sitting along the wall to be covered in soot. I just chalked it up to a cold old carbureted car just getting its throat cleared before warming up. I'd love it to not do that either, but I didn't think it hurt anything other than dirty the floor.

11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes, that's just a symptom of most carb vehicles on a cold start. They are just over rich for a bit on cold start. You might fuss with the choke some and reduce the soot but probably never eliminate it. And your 2.6 has an overly complex choke system so if it's working fine otherwise, I'd leave it alone.

#51 valiant67, Dec 25, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    codypet and chuzz like this.
  12. mopar2100

mopar2100 Member

I think 68RT called out a good explanation on why there is soot coming from the exhaust - the build up in the exhaust mixed with condensation. Sounds good enough for me.

I had Tyler's 66 Imperial out this past week because we had a stretch of warm weather. Took it into town to get donuts with the kids and we even had the top down. Heater works well, so had that on while cruising, but the vents down near the floor do not move on their own. Not having an Imperial from this era before, I had assumed there was a motor down there that would open and close the floor vents, but so far I've had to move them manually.