Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1970 Plymouth 4-Door Barracuda E-Body

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by Joe Dart, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Walden

David Walden New Member

I'll be doing a video interview where everyone can see and hear Larry in his own words. Until then......

2. David Walden

David Walden New Member

I sure will brownspo.......uh......I mean Joe!

3. David Walden

David Walden New Member

Larry might end up being one tuff cat to interview but I'll do my best.

4. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

There would have been artist (designer) renderings and clay models of the cars first, both done in the Design Office.

Good Luck in the Archives! I really hope you find some good info that will put this all to rest. Just think of the man hours spent on
    both sides of the issue! Again - good luck! :cool:

Joe Dart likes this.
  5. David Walden

David Walden New Member

What I can't figure out is why one second was spent on the "other side" for something that has zero impact on their lives. We're the ones "wasting" our time with this project......right? What's the concern either way? Does it change anyone's life if there was or wasn't a Concept vehicle built? It doesn't mine! I was going to build the vehicle regardless of the scenario.

DC-93 likes this.
  6. David Walden

David Walden New Member

There were Concept Cars build by the Car Manufacturers that were done without the knowledge of the Design Office or even the Top Brass within the Companies.

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I see in Wiki that the '70-'74 E-body Challenger had a 2" longer wheelbase than the E-body Barracuda. Was this 2" added behind the drivers seat?
    Chrysler E platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This slightly longer wheelbase platform may have lent itself better to a sedan conversion.
    Still this was a design exercise and probably had no prayer or intention of becoming anything close to production.

At the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, they had an Avanti with one door on one side and a front and rear door hung on the other side. The Avanti sedan still had pleasing proportions:
    Hemmings Find of the Day – 1990 Avanti four-door | Hemmings Daily
    Hardtop sedans still need extra support and bracing along with a partial 'B'-pillar.

8. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

Take this for what it's worth... I was lucky enough to spend some time with John Herlitz in 1997. By that time, he was VP of product design. During our conversation, we spoke of the success of the original '68 Roadrunner. Lynn Townsend and John Riccardo, not really being "car guys" soon wanted to build Roadrunner versions of everything. John mentioned there was a prototype wagon built, which he said was to be badged "Loadrunner".

He said it was everything he and the other younger stylists could do to convince upper management this would be a bad idea, weakening the image of the car in the youth market. (I can actually see both sides of this argument, through the hindsight of decades of "sport sedans".) He never said anything about a 4dr Cuda, and I would think he might have, just as a way to add emphasis... i.e., "You think a 4dr Roadrunner is a bad idea? How about a 4dr Cuda!" And we did discuss the Cuda at length... In fact that's the reason we were talking... Basically a concept-car retro Cuda, for the '98 show circuit, which eventually came a decade later and morphed into a Challenger.

I have no dog in this fight, just adding more context.

9. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

lol... You said "tuff-cat"... :rolleyes:

10. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

ImperialCrown, in the Avanti example, it was already 2-door sedan (pillared hardtop).

#30 Joe Dart, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  11. David Walden

David Walden New Member

AKA JD......

12. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

#32 Joe Dart, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  13. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

The builder allegedly believes an unproven story that a specific concept 1970 4-door Barracuda was created by Chrysler Corporation.

There has been no Chrysler Archive data to support this concept was ever dreamed, thought, designed, approved, studied, manufactured, or ever seen on a loading dock.

In fact, not a single Chrysler Corporation design office manager, studio employee, clay modeler, or product planner (employed during this era) has ever heard of such a study.

Not as much as a cocktail napkin has ever surfaced.

So any thoughts on this alleged historical design?....

In my view it still remains unchallenged as a total urban legend.

#33 Joe Dart, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Bearhawke likes this.
  14. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

https://goo.gl/images/jBGp2M

Australian VJ or similar Valiant; technically an A body but, def has some US market B/E body styling cues.

15. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

Thanks Bearhawke.

But remember there's one single corporate mailboy out there from 1969...... who claims to be an "automotive historian/journalist" of the muscle car era.

So without a single shred of historical fact..... .

How in the Hell does the story of a Chrysler mailboy (45 years later) witnessing a 4-door Barracuda parked in a loading dock become a true and factual story?

16. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

The car you referenced has been photographed....so let's go back to square one.

Why would a major automotive company give design approval to create something beyond a conceptual sketch.....without evidence?

Financial backing first requires design approval

Then product planning approval

Experimental body engineering approval

Design studio approvals.

Clay model the design.

Fabricate design in the experimental metal shop.

Design a package drawing for all interior specifications.

Design and document all exterior dimensions and ornamentation.

Approved exterior ornamentation and design for concept

Paint concept in experimental paint shop.

Design and manufacture experimental trim

So all of this effort and still nobody knows anything?

Come on. Concept cars were built by real people. There's no top secret military group of Green Beret soldiers fresh from Vietnam with long rifles keeping corporate executives outside of a secret room.

Anybody who thinks this way is completely delusional.

#36 Joe Dart, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  17. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Square one for me is a guy built an incredible car from scratch.

All the chirping about whether he dreamed it up, or not, belongs in the "who cares" file.

Thanks
    Randy

rapidtrans and valiant67 like this.
  18. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

Chrysler history notwithstanding.....if I told you anything would you believe it?

19. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

The bottom line is the Mopar Collector's Guide's story was very wrong - which is typical for that magazine.

20. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

With Chrysler being more of a follower in those days, i would think a successful 4dr Camaro or Mustang would have to exist before they spend time and money on this.
    On another note. Can you imagine how damaging a bunch of slant six stripped down models would be to the "E" body line?

Dave Z likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.