Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1970 Plymouth 4-Door Barracuda E-Body

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by Joe Dart, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Ford had the 4 door Thunderbird and a 4 door Mustang was at least considered. So Chrysler certainly considered 4 door E bodies. Whether they got beyond someone's mind is up for debate.

2. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Some E bodies DID come through with 225 Slant Six, at least for 1970-71

saltydog likes this.
  3. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

The Mopar Collector's Guide story is very unusual because there's no factual basis for it.

I think enthusiast magazines should be responsible for what they say and do, and in this example MCG has printed an unproven story. The article provides no extra interviews, quotes, or any effort to test facts based on 40 year old urban legend from one single low pay grade corporate employee.

The story, as presented by MCG, is historically insignificant and has never been proven.

#43 Joe Dart, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  4. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

I admire the work that went into this, but to me, it looks like a Plymouth Satellite sedan with Barracuda front and rear clips. Perhaps a Canadian "Plodge" even.

That's not a bad thing, just sort of redundant when the 71 B body sedans were such good looking cars in the first place.

Fascinating project, and I have plenty of respect for the sheer dedication involved.

5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

6. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

7. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

Did the MCG article neglect to write about this important info?

8. scatpack_69

scatpack_69 Active Member

Zero chance Chrysler built a four door version of EVERY vehicle they produced. It didn't happen.

There was no 4 door Challenger. There was no 4 door Barracuda. There was no 4 door Charger (until the revival of the name for the '05MY)

This is merely a figment of the imagination of someone who's hoping to scam someone with a tall tale of four doors and one-offs and rarity and such.

Bearhawke and Joe Dart like this.
  9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Here is the website for the guy who built the car and why and how..................

4-Door Barracuda (at http://4doorcuda.com/index.php#history )

10. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Between myself, my father and my brother a four door Barracuda, Challenger, Charger or Cordoba were not seen or heard of around H.P.
    Dad would have spent a lot of time over at styling, I worked summers in the modeling shop.

Joe Dart likes this.
  11. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

People who claim a 4-door Barracuda existed never worked at Chrysler or have any understanding of the Design or Product Planning stages.

Think about it. Budget approval to execute a built feature would only be considered after conceptual sketches and design studies. It would require several product planning and design approvals, even engineering involvement before a creative buck would ever be considered. In the early product planning stages the clay model or fiberglass (if it went beyond clay) was usually for market research after product planning accepted the concept. ... and then there's always photographs.

Here's a good example. This vehicle was designed and built nearly two decades prior to the alleged 4-door Barracuda concept. By the way its very real.

MCG has printed their story with zero evidence. In fact there's much more evidence this car never existed, thought of, or remotely considered by the corporation.

1956_Chrysler-Plymouth_Plainsman_Experimental_Station_Wagon_03.jpg 1956_Chrysler-Plymouth_Plainsman_Experimental_Station_Wagon_04.jpg 1956 plymoyh Plainsman wagon concept.jpg

#51 Joe Dart, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  12. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

It seems like MCG couldn't be bothered to reach out to retired corporate design office and product planners, who are still very much alive and active in the hobby.

It also seems this was the extent of MCG's efforts to research their feature story.

With fake magazine stories it's no wonder our car values are dropping. Collectors are tired of reading speculative/false/downright unproven garbage stories and are leaving the Mopar hobby as a result.

Just look at GM and Ford values.

#52 Joe Dart, May 19, 2017
  13. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

Why wasn't this included in MCG's feature cover story?

Is Diran Yazejian's story less important than the mail delivery person?

#53 Joe Dart, May 19, 2017
  14. chargerjy9

chargerjy9 New Member

I am a retired Chrysler Design office, (Styling) guy who started there in the early "70's . I have asked for confirmation of this story from my colleagues who were there at that time and have intimate knowledge of what happened back then. To a man, no one can confirm the story from the mailboy. I know how things work there and if this happened, there would be a paper trail, regardless of what Mr Waden claims. I have followed this topic for years now, following it from forum to forum as Mr Walden has a tough time staying nice, so forum moderators would ban his posts, so he would have to set up shop elsewhere until he wore out his welcome, again. He takes the memories of a mailboy and bullgang operator from The Proving Grounds as gospel , and denigrates the words from those who would know the real story. (there isn't one, BTW). He is always right. Anyone who tries to tell the real story has been bullied, chastised and in some cases, threatened.
    As per the above quote, He says there were a few people who couldn't understand the difference between Brandt and Brett. Well this is proof that he doesn't check, (know) his facts. The person who "works" at the museum is in fact Brandt Rosenbush, not Brett Rosenburg as Mr Walden insists. I know Brandt personally. I have been to his office many times. He has talked to Mr Walden in the past, but on an unrelated subject. The general public cannot go to the Archives and sift through the documentation there either, They will look up what you need and pass it on to you.
    Brandt told me, recently, that he was not aware of such a request from Mr Walden. He also said to me that he is not aware of any documentation or photos in the archives that pertain to a 4 door Barracuda. Finally, as to that subject and Mr Walden, Mr Rosenbush told me that Chrysler was keeping a close eye on this project to protect their interests.

#54 chargerjy9, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Joe Dart likes this.
  15. chargerjy9

chargerjy9 New Member

To add to this discussion, Chrysler is not Ford or GM. So, the comparisons upon which, Mr Walden bases his story, i.e. Ford built a 4 door Mustang proposal, GM built a 4 door Corvette, so therefore, Chrysler built a 4 door Barracuda, just doesn't hold water.
    A little history, here. Mr Walden started this whole saga a few years ago, by making the outrageous statement that Chrysler built a "running prototype of a red 4 door Barracuda and then destroyed it, based on the observations of a mailboy who saw it on a loading dock. Walden then changed his story about it being a "running" prototype when he was called to task about that claim.

#55 chargerjy9, May 20, 2017
  16. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

Like I said, does MCG consider the number of retired Chrysler executives, directors, and managers who are actively involved in our hobby as an important source of information?

#56 Joe Dart, May 20, 2017
  17. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

Thanks. I had a feeling it was a lie when he responded.

#57 Joe Dart, May 20, 2017
  18. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Mr. Dart - You should contact MCG and tell them everything you said here, since I don't believe anyone there is a member of this forum.

19. pt006

pt006 Active Member

First, I have no personal knowledge of the 4 door Cuda. I read on another site that a trustworthy Chrysler person saw one on a loading dock and that it was put up on a concrete table so it could be viewed from a Chrysler office building some distance away. Could it have been built? Certainly. In-house? Highly unlikely. This might have been a test track car that got lost in the shuffle [or on the way to the crusher]. And was sent out to a body shop for 'repairs'. Some management slush fund money may have been used or a favor was owed. Things happen. This would have been a rolling chassis, not a car. No interior in the back. Back doors wouldn't open. Gotta look good at 50 feet. And be able to lift it from the side with a fork lift. And as far as pictures go, people back then had to know how to use those old cameras. It was a family gathering and graduation kind of a thing.

20. Joe Dart

Joe Dart Member

MCG won't care after the fact. They published the story without doing research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.