AF: 1971 Charger Concealed Headlamp Motor Relay Alternative | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1971 Charger Concealed Headlamp Motor Relay Alternative

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Aug 26, 2019.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

The relay for the concealed headlamp door motor in my Charger died. It would open, but not close. I rigged up a 5-pin Bosch-style relay and everything worked the way it should. The Mopar part is only available as NOS. The last one I saw had an asking price of $300. Not worth it. I remember that mid-60s Rivieras had headlight doors. I checked and the relay for those cars is readily available (Standard RY8) and cheap. Some very minor changes to wiring terminals and this relay can be replaced with a new, inexpensive part.

I rigged up some temporary wiring and it works like a charm. $12.27 for a Riviera relay and having to add/change a couple of terminals beats what I've seen asking prices on NOS relays. You will need one oddball female terminal for the double wire on the ignition run circuit. Or, put a ring terminal on a jumper wire with a single Packard 56 female on the other end. Then bolt the existing ignition run terminal to the jumper ring terminal and tape it well. Plus, you'll want to cut off the ring terminal on the green signal wire from the HL switch and replace that with a female Packard 56 or just an insulated female .25 terminal.

The green signal/switching circuit grounds through the case. Charger Concealed HL Relay (4).jpg Charger Concealed HL Riviera Relay.jpg Charger Concealed HL Riviera Relay (4).jpg Charger Concealed HL Relay (2).jpg Charger Concealed HL Relay (3).jpg Charger Concealed HL Riviera Relay (2).jpg

2. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Awesome! And thank you for sharing! I am certain this will be helpful to others :)

3. 71Charger_fan

I try to remember to include part numbers or photos of part numbers as that would be helpful to me. I'm thinking of moving the relay from under the dash to the back of the radiator support near the battery. I'd have to extend the green signal wire and bring an ignition run from the back of the alternator, but I'd need a lot less wiring for the open/close. Those two wires would only have to run from the radiator support to the motor.

saltydog likes this.
  4. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

I'd personally keep it under the dash, out of the weather.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  5. 71Charger_fan

With the proper Delphi/Aptiv terminals.
    phpQPB1qYAM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  6. 71Charger_fan

Installed behind the dash with the motor open/shut leads switched to their proper locations because, of course, I got it wrong the first time. I ran an extra ground lead just to be sure.
    phppAs4x7PM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  7. 71Charger_fan

The original circuit breaker has a bar that screwed to the original relay. I didn't see a good way to attach it to the Riviera. I couldn't find a 5 amp circuit breaker locally, so I have a couple coming from Ebay. I was surprised to see that the original circuit breaker had that low an amp rating.

8. patricklynch

patricklynch Mopar starship captain

I wonder if the '79 St. Regis uses the same relay. I have the opposite problem you do with my headlight doors, they'll always close but not always open. I gather the screaming noise behind the dash is my load switch, is that part of the relay. Somewhere in my spares I have another relay that's no better than the one on the car and compare it to your photo. This may be a real solution for R-body St. Regis and New Yorker owners since the R-body part seems to be made of unobtanium.

9. 71Charger_fan

That same Riviera headlight door relay was used as a blower fan relay on many other GM cars up into the '80s (probably why it's still widely available). It's cheap enough that it would be worth it to me to just buy one and use test leads to temporarily wire it into the circuit and see if that would make those headlight doors function properly. I'm sure there are many other relays (including the somewhat standard Bosch style) that could be substituted. I focused on the one I used because I knew it had been used for headlight doors.

10. patricklynch

patricklynch Mopar starship captain

Between re-reading your post and the troubleshooting section in my FSM, I'm wondering if its my circuit breaker intermittently crapping out and that's why I'm hearing the noise from the relay when my headlight doors fail to open. While researching the topic, I stumbled across this thread which you'll no doubt recognise. headlight motor relay upgrade for 1970 & up (at http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8077.0.html ) The photos of 71_deputy's original relay look just like the one in my '79. Between your work on both threads and what everyone there posted, I now have some good ideas about how to proceed. Also see that replacing my circuit breaker would be easily enough done as well. Thanks!

11. 71Charger_fan

My new circuit breakers arrived today direct from China. So, I removed my relay and bracket and figured out which of the two circuit breakers (same except for the mounting ears) would best fit. I selected one and drilled out one of the mounting holes to 1/4" so I could attach it to the same bolt I was using for the extra ground. Then, the circuit power just hooked up the same as factory.
    phpbZ1UQVPM.jpg phpfZoRxVPM.jpg phpn8iRphPM.jpg

patricklynch and saltydog like this.
  12. 71Charger_fan

A Delco C1700C relay seems to be the same thing but with the mounting ears reversed from the Standard relay.

13. 71Charger_fan